Windows 10: On a Lenovo with Win 10, how do you boot with the configuration for drive order change

Discus and support On a Lenovo with Win 10, how do you boot with the configuration for drive order change in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am using a LENOVO ThinkCenter M Series. I have tried most of the typical key sequences to bring up the computer configuration so it will boot on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JayD-Texas, Apr 11, 2019.

1. On a Lenovo with Win 10, how do you boot with the configuration for drive order change

I am using a LENOVO ThinkCenter M Series. I have tried most of the typical key sequences to bring up the computer configuration so it will boot on the CD/DVD drive. Somehow getting older and using different computers this has never been a problem. Usually it was hitting the delete or F2 key but nothing seems to work. Looking at instructions there was one that said F8, another F11, and another F12. Just need to change to having a choice so when it need to be reloaded I can use the CD/DVD Disk I made to do it with. Anyone 3 years and up out there with a suggestion?

No category was available on here so if no one knows I will try to call Lenovo (very difficult when an older computer for tech support)

:)

JayD-Texas, Apr 11, 2019
  2. f14tomcat Win User

Win 10 Boot Order

Windows Boot Manager
    USB Floppy/CD
    USB Hard Drive
    ATAPI CD/DVD Drive
    Legacy Boot Sources : Disabled

The order of these items indicates where the BIOS will transfer control and attempt to boot the system from.
    The BIOS will attempt each in order until it finds one that succeeds.

With "Windows Boot Manager", it is further defined by which OS is listed as "Default" in the BCD (Boot Configuration Data). Example here. If you go into the MSCONFIG, and have multiple OSs defined, it boots from the one defined as "Default OS". Here's a pic of mine. Most users do not have more than one OS configured, I have several because I dual-boot.

On a Lenovo with Win 10, how do you boot with the configuration for drive order change [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Apr 11, 2019
  3. How To Change Boot Sequence in Win 10 -- Classic question different version

Hi

My manufacturer (Lenovo) says that:

Microsoft requires Lenovo to configure all Microsoft Windows 8 and 10 PCs with the following UEFI firmware (BIOS) settings:

• UEFI only
    • Secure Boot
    With these settings, it is not possible to boot a Legacy operating system such as DOS or Microsoft Windows XP. Also, it is not possible to boot an operating system that is not enabled for Secure Boot, such
    as Microsoft Windows 7 and certain Linux distributions.

Hence, if you need to switch boot order in order to boot from a USB device, it's not possible for a USER to do so because

the UEFI area is grey and its not possible to access it via keyboard. I use Insyde H20 vers 5 as BIOS.

What is the best step by step course action via Windows 10 to enable legacy mode in your BIOS, without the risk of screwing up

anything else?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

MarkKnightrider, Apr 11, 2019
  4. On a Lenovo with Win 10, how do you boot with the configuration for drive order change

Can't Change Boot Order

Cloned original C:\ drive to an SSD drive then followed the windows procedure to get to BIOS to change the boot order:

• Settings
    • Update and Security
    • Recovery - Restart Now
    • Troubleshoot
    • Advanced Options
    • UEFI Firmware Settings
    • Restart
    The last restart does not take me to BIOS. I just get a blank screen. Esc key gets me back to Windows, but I don't want to format the original C:\ drive for other use until I am able to change the boot order. How do I do that?

GregCowling, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

On a Lenovo with Win 10, how do you boot with the configuration for drive order change

1. On a Lenovo with Win 10, how do you boot with the configuration for drive order change - Similar Threads - Lenovo boot configuration

2. How do you change your top row function on Lenovo with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change your top row function on Lenovo with Windows 10?: the functions keys have switched. Now to mute my laptop, i have to press the Fn key and then it mutes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-your-top-row-function-on-lenovo/137f799a-9f22-4052-ba03-af8b6653fa87
  3. How do you change your top row function on Lenovo with Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you change your top row function on Lenovo with Windows 10?: the functions keys have switched. Now to mute my laptop, i have to press the Fn key and then it mutes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-your-top-row-function-on-lenovo/137f799a-9f22-4052-ba03-af8b6653fa87
  4. how to change boot order

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change boot order: Hi, I currently have 2 bootable windows 10 hdds, 1 on C drive, 1 on E drive, currently when i restart the comp it boots into E: with C: as a secondary, however i want it to be the other way around boot to C: with E: as secondary. I tried swicthing the sata cables but it still...
  5. How do I create boot configurations on a drive without it.

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I create boot configurations on a drive without it.: I need someone to either point me to a tutorial that actually works, or explain what I must do. I need to boot this drive with win10 already installed. I pulled the drive out of a machine with a dual boot windows 10 on both drives. The other drive is where the boot...
  6. Win 10 change search order

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 change search order: Ok something that's been driving me crazy for some weeks now, and I don't know when this changed but it was probably a windows update of some kind: It used to be like this: I'd hit the Windows key, start typing for example "cal", hit enter, and the calculator would start....
  7. How to change boot order in Windows 10 home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to change boot order in Windows 10 home: Can I use that script on Windows 10 home edition to boot from an external Windows 7 hard drive taken from my old laptop? I do not have the installation software for Windows 7, and it is in NTFS. It was a hard drive removed from my old Asus laptop with Windows 7 on it. I have...
  8. Change Win 10 Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change Win 10 Boot Drive: I would like to change my primary boot drive from my current C to E, an ssd with only 128G of storage. My C drive is nearly full at ~850G, so I can't just migrate everything. I know how to change the primary boot drive in BIOS, but don't know what files need to move such that...
  9. Changing Boot Order

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Boot Order: Having found my way into the BIOS to change the boot order I am faced with 4 options. Which one do I select? I want the PC to call first on a USB Recovery Drive, created with Macrium Reflect. Should I go back to BIOS to make a note of the options and list them here, as I...
  10. Win 10 Boot Order

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Boot Order: Just got my new Win 10 all setup and working very nicely. Concerned about the ability to boot using a usb or dvd device if there's ever hdd problems. My HP boot order shows UEFI Boot Sources Windows Boot Manager USB Floppy/CD USB Hard Drive ATAPI CD/DVD Drive Legacy Boot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Microsoft requires Lenovo to configure