Windows 10: On again off again 0x116

Discus and support On again off again 0x116 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; DESKTOP-HEHH990-(2020-04-20_14-47-32).zip Currently on 19041.207 (clean install as of 2 days ago) but it has been happening on every version since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by stormy13, Apr 20, 2020.

1. stormy13 Win User

On again off again 0x116

DESKTOP-HEHH990-(2020-04-20_14-47-32).zip

Currently on 19041.207 (clean install as of 2 days ago) but it has been happening on every version since October last year.

Before this started happening my video card died sometime in October last year (RX 570) and replaced it with a brand new RX 570 while waiting for the old to come back from RMA. Everything was fine for a while and then the restarts started happening. Have never had a BSOD from it, it just locks up and then restarts. Turns out the vbios chip on the old card crapped out.

Have had it happen on all driver versions from 19.10 to the current 20.4.1, and even rolled back as far as the 19.4 and it still happened.

Should also mention that it can happen at any time either while playing a game (and not every time), or while doing nothing more strenuous that web browsing.

:)

stormy13, Apr 20, 2020
  2. valihrach Win User

Partial workaround for Bugcheck 0x116, nvlddmkm.sys, VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

After trying many configuration changes to fully avoid 0x116 errors, I probably found a working solution - my system is rock-solid for last four days. Steps needed to make my system stable:

- downgrade geforce driver to version 340.76 (for win7/8)
    - disable sleep mode, hibernation and other power savings in power options
    - disable power savings of usb hubs and network adapters in device manager

The first step is essential. This driver is no longer accessible at nvidia site, I downloaded it from softpedia. In conjunction with other two steps which limit acpi functions, it did the trick.

The page where I found this info (thx junclj): How to fix Display Driver Stopped Responding and has Recovered How-tos
    junclj Oct 23, 2015 @ 17:27:42
    "The only way to solve display driver stopped responding is to rollback and install the old stable version such like “340.76”. I got an old computer with motherboard Asus P5KPL-AM. It is a 6 years old computer. The graphic card is GTX460 and my system is Windows 10. Since all the new graphic drivers have compatibility issues. I was rolled back from 358.50 to the old version 340.76. No more stopped responding after I installed the old stable version. Just stay at 340.76 for your old machine and turn off the update checker and notification."

Will do more tests in the next days to ensure that this solution is permanent, and if suppressing of power savings is really mandatory. If you encounter the same problem (esp. if you have older mobo with intel or nforce chipset) you may at least try that very old driver. It does not support directx 12, but I don't care.

Link to download driver:
    Download NVIDIA OpenGL 4.5 Graphics Driver 340.76 Beta 64-bit for Windows Vista 64 bit, Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 8 64 bit

valihrach, Apr 20, 2020
  3. axe0 Win User
    Screen goes blank, then reboots after 15 secs.

The faulty stick may had affected things, but the 0x116 is usually not caused by faulty memory (unfortunately in this case)

If you get 0x116 crashes again, my suggestion for now would be to try different driver versions, a minimum of 3 different driver versions would be the best.

4. On again off again 0x116

Video_TDR_Failure (atikmpag.sys) ~ EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv

Still having issues.

Think it's possibly the memory modules? I might try to buy some on the approved motherboard list.

Found this Microsoft post explanation too: Bug Check 0x116 VIDEO_TDR_ERROR | Microsoft Docs

exzacklyright, Apr 20, 2020
Thema:

On again off again 0x116

1. On again off again 0x116 - Similar Threads - again off again

2. why does edge keep getting installed again and again and again and again and again and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does edge keep getting installed again and again and again and again and again and...: Don't need itDon't want itDon't care for itI'm getting tired of uninstalling it on every windows updatePlease stop forcing it on me. It makes me feel depressed, humiliated, forced to swallow garbage. I feel like crying every time this happened. Are you trying to make me...
  3. why does edge keep getting installed again and again and again and again and again and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does edge keep getting installed again and again and again and again and again and...: Don't need itDon't want itDon't care for itI'm getting tired of uninstalling it on every windows updatePlease stop forcing it on me. It makes me feel depressed, humiliated, forced to swallow garbage. I feel like crying every time this happened. Are you trying to make me...
  4. Computer randomly turns off then on again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly turns off then on again: Bought a new pc from techfast.Specs: https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/666615Intel Core i5 10400F processorRTX 3070 Ti 8GB LHR graphicsGigabyte B560M DS3H motherboard16GB 3200MHz RAM500GB NVMe m.2 SSD750W 80 Plus Gold PSUMAG Forge 100R CaseAlso before crashing in event viewer...
  5. BSOD again and again and again :-

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD again and again and again :-: Hi everyone,I am facing a very irritating problem within Windows 10 Home Single Language v. 21H1, build 19043.1023 where your help/expertise would be much appreciated.About 6 months ago I bought here in Brazil a laptop Dell Inspiron 15, model 3583 Intel Core i7-8565U CPU...
  6. mouse again and again

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mouse again and again: So I have looked for the answer to this problem so many places and times...my bluetooth mouse stops working...it says "paired" and even sometimes says "connected" but no it doesn't move the mouse on screen. Microsoft was asked this question as far back as win7 -> and...
  7. Monitor (television) switches off again and again (win10)?

Monitor (television) switches off again and again (win10)?: Hello, since I have Windows 10, my monitor or the TV I use as a monitor switches off again and again, or the communication breaks down. This worked fine for windows 7 and only started when I installed win 10. It always happens by chance, without a reason. Sometimes every...
  8. Deleting temporary files,again and again and again and again

Deleting temporary files,again and again and again and again: Why the **** does deleting temporary files not **** delete them ? In fact, why did my temporary file size **** increase after i supposedly deleted this ****? **** useless ****....
  9. SIGN IN AGAIN AND AGAIN

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SIGN IN AGAIN AND AGAIN: EACH N EVERY TIME WHENEVER I TURNED OFF MY LAPTOP WINDOWS 10...N I RESTART IT....UT SIGNED ME OUT FROM EACH N EVERY ACCOUNT OF MINE...INCLUDING GMAIL ACCOUNT ON CHROME AND NETFLIX ACCOUNT... DONT WANT TO SIGN IN AGAIN N AGAIN AFTER EVERY RESTART... NEED HELP!!!...
  10. ntkrnlmp.exe bsod windows 10 (again & again & again & again)

ntkrnlmp.exe bsod windows 10 (again & again & again & again): Hello everyone, I keep on getting bsod's due to ntkrnlmp.exe in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. This is the analysis carried out by WhoCrashed. Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer. On Wed 09/12/2015 08:51:58 GMT your computer...