Windows 10: -ON / -OFF After each Folder Option in Windows 10

Discus and support -ON / -OFF After each Folder Option in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, After the update to Windows 10 anniversary update one of my PCs shows a –ON or –OFF at the end of each “Advanced Setting” in the “Folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JohnR2016, Aug 31, 2016.

1. JohnR2016 Win User

-ON / -OFF After each Folder Option in Windows 10

Hello,

After the update to Windows 10 anniversary update one of my PCs shows a –ON or –OFF at the end of each “Advanced Setting” in the “Folder Options”, “View” tab.

So; in “Folder Options” under “Advanced settings”, in the scroll list there is either a –ON or –OFF after each option such as “Always show icons, never thumbnails-OFF”. If the option is ticked –ON is displayed and –OFF if un-ticked.
    Folder options are working fine, but this –ON / -OFF is annoying me.

Where is the setting to turn this feature off?

I have googled it but no answers.

Regards

John

:)

JohnR2016, Aug 31, 2016

2. Folders in Desktop open in new window(s), even with setting turned off

Hello.

I have a strange issue. When accessed through File Explorer, my Desktop directory and any subdirectories will open their windows in a new window, and (this is important!) sometimes in two new windows. The placement of these two new windows will be random
    on my computer screen when opened. This is not my clicking error; I consistently double-click. Remember, this issue happens in no other directory in File Explorer, and folders open in the same window as expected in other directories.

This problem is fixed temporarily when I turn on "Open each folder in a new window" in the Folder Options, close the Folder Options, open the Folder Options, and turn off "Open each folder in a new window". Disregard that; the problem persists
    when "Open each folder in a new window" is turned off. Turning on "Open each folder in a new window" will
    always open each folder in a new window, as it should. Turning off "Open each folder in a new window" will lead to this problem, where sometimes one window opens, and sometimes two open. Normally, "Open each folder in a new window" is always turned
    off for me. Please do not request that I double-check this.

Any help solving this is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: The problem is temporarily fixed if I start browsing from one of the opened windows (that aren't supposed to be opened); going up one directory and then browsing will not open the Desktop's directory's and subdirectories' folder in new windows when
    the option is turned off. However, the Quick Access bar links will open in new windows, which is absolutely not supposed to happen.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

GuyThirteen(2), Aug 31, 2016
  3. Windows 10 maximising windows when moving to a different monitor, why?

Hello,

I use two monitors on my PC but for some reason windows 10 has started to maximise windows when moving the window from monitor 1 to monitor 2.

Have gone to display settings, multitasking, and tried turning each option on and off but it makes no difference. And each time I go into that setting, the first option defaults to off, even after I left it to on, so all the snap options are off.

So why does it keep resizing to maximum every window I drag over? Making this unuseable, I don't want it to keep maximising my windows unless I tell it to.

karlhargreaves, Aug 31, 2016
  4. Rocky Win User

I just pulled up my FOLDER OPTIONS tab and I do not have any of those ON or OFF indications in any of menu items. In fact, your menu looks completely different than mine because mine is labeled "File Explorer Options."

Rocky, Aug 31, 2016
  5. *Ditto

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    Could you type winver in run box and post the screenshot. Also you might want to open an elevated cmd prompt and type sfc /scannow..

swarfega, Aug 31, 2016
  7. JohnR2016 Win User
    Hello..
    Regarding “File Explorer Options” and “Folder Options”... Same thing different name.
    If you open “File Explorer Options” from Control Panel the title is “File Explorer Options”..
    If you open "File Explorer / My Computer" then click File > Change Folder and search Options, it’s called “Folder Options”.

FYI, Windows 10 Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.105)

Also Looked at "Ease of Access Centre" and the Magnifier is off, but the –ON or –OFF is still there.

Will try the "sfc /scannow" and get back to you.. Thanks

Regards
    John

JohnR2016, Aug 31, 2016
  8. -ON / -OFF After each Folder Option in Windows 10

No ON OFF in either location for me, Build 14393.105.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2016
  9. JohnR2016 Win User
    Hello.
    Finally found the app that’s causing this issue, Microsoft’s “Speech Recognition”.
    I tried the other fixes that the members mentioned like “sfc /scannow” but this didn’t fix it, also the “Magnifier” in Ease of Access Centre was turned off on my system.
    After an hour of playing in “Ease of Access Centre” I opened “Speech Recognition” which immediately came up with an error. I didn’t note the error, but something along the lines of “Your audio hardware is not configured”. I checked the Soundcard drivers and all was ok, then plugged in a microphone and Speech Recognition started up fine, went through the setup process and then closed the app, checked “Folder Options” and NO more –ON or –OFF after each setting.
    Find it strange as I have never used “Ease of Access Centre” or “Speech Recognition” before this issue.
    Regards
    John

JohnR2016, Sep 1, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, that's an odd one.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. -ON / -OFF After each Folder Option in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - OFF each Folder

2. Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.: I have been extremely annoyed that Windows 11 won't remember my view settings for folders. I have tried all the options in the advance settings to have it be remembered but the option to Remember Settings is missing. Having to switch to detail view every time I view a folder...
  3. Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "Remember each folder's view settings" missing in explorer options.: I have been extremely annoyed that Windows 11 won't remember my view settings for folders. I have tried all the options in the advance settings to have it be remembered but the option to Remember Settings is missing. Having to switch to detail view every time I view a folder...
  4. Windows 10 remove permissions in search folders on each start

Windows 10 remove permissions in search folders on each start: I use Outlook 2010 in Windows 10. Each Reboot the search index of outlook is no longer updated. I found out that the permissions in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications are wrong.When I fix the permissions by adding my user to this folder, I can reindex Outlook....
  5. Windows 10 Backup Folder Option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup Folder Option: Hello, I need to set auto backups on one folder. I turned on Backup from Settings, but it automatically has a huge list of folders under "Backup these folders." I don't want any of those folders backed up. How can I clear that list so to have only the one folder? Thanks....
  6. Windows 10 Mail App Folder Names for each account.

Windows 10 Mail App Folder Names for each account.: We own our own domain, and work with multiple accounts. Each person in my family has at least 2 accounts One public, and one private.; Plus, I have a separate E-mail account set up for each online vendor or account. When I set up all of my accounts in the Mail app, I linked...
  7. Folder options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder options in Windows 10: When in file explorer I right click on a file and then click on send to and in the next list of options there is a "send to mail recipient". What happens when I use this option and how do I know files were sent?...
  8. no sound after each windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no sound after each windows 10 update: I have a speaker connected by bluetooth. When I look at my bluetooth devices, it says the speaker is paired, but needs to be connected. For less than a second I have sound, then no more sound and a message says the connection didn't work. Then it says the speaker is...
  9. Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10: How to: Open Each Folder in Same or New Window in Windows 10 How to Open Each Folder in the Same or New Window in Windows 10 While you browse in File Explorer, you can open each drive, folder, and library in the same window or in its own new window. This tutorial...
  10. Open Folder Options in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Folder Options in Windows 10: How to: Open Folder Options in Windows 10 How to Open Folder Options for File Explorer in Windows 10 You can use File Explorer Options (aka: Folder Options) to change the way files and folders function and how items are displayed on your computer. This tutorial will...