Windows 10: On reboot & closing programs, Start Menu opens. Need to see Desktop

Discus and support On reboot & closing programs, Start Menu opens. Need to see Desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When my computer boots, the default is to open to the start menu. I want to see the Desktop. Here are my settings for Start: [img] I've clicked and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cfuglein, Sep 1, 2019.

1. cfuglein Win User

On reboot & closing programs, Start Menu opens. Need to see Desktop

When my computer boots, the default is to open to the start menu. I want to see the Desktop. Here are my settings for Start:
    On reboot & closing programs, Start Menu opens. Need  to see Desktop [​IMG]

I've clicked and unclicked that button that is supposed to start it stop it to no avail. How can I permanently change this default. I'm used to seeing icons on the desktop, and don't really want to change to the start menu. I had this fixed, but it no longer works.

Thanks
    Carl

:)

cfuglein, Sep 1, 2019

2. Start Menu opens and closes suddenly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below to make your start menu work and check if it helps.

• Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • Click File > Run New Task
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:
      • $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifestand press Enter.
      • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}and press Enter.
    • Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further queries, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Taskbar hides and shows itself after opening start menu.

Steps:

1. Using HDMI for a second monitor.
    2. Open start menu using the icon.
    3. Close start menu using the icon.
    4. Click anywhere other than the task bars. (e.g. an open window, the desktop, even the first monitor's desktop)
    5. Taskbar on second monitor slides down to be hidden.
    6. Taskbar then immediately slides up to reappear.

If after closing the start menu (step 3), you click on the taskbar, then click outside the taskbar, this behavior does not occur.

Performing the steps on the main monitor's taskbar does not produce this behavior.

This has been happening for as long as I can remember using this laptop (~3years), with different nVidia drivers and Windows 10 updates.

Dreaming Void, Sep 1, 2019
  4. On reboot & closing programs, Start Menu opens. Need to see Desktop

Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs"

RE: WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 32bit, Files missing from "Start Menu" "All Programs" list.

I have several "start menu" programs missing in my "all programs" list. One of the missing entries is the "accessories" folder and all related files.

As far as I can tell all of the missing files are on the system and they can be found by using the "start menu search" facility. This problem is occurring with other users but I can not find a solution which works to get things back the way they were after installing the OS.

I am seeing the missing apps and other items at this location in iexplore.exe %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs .

Everything I have tried to get these items back into my "start menu" "all programs" list has been met with failure except creating a shortcut. A shortcut is not the real fix as it leaves two entries in the folder.

When I right click on the highlighted "all Programs" box, in the start menu, a small options list pops up, if "open all users" is selected a new window pops up. Inside that window I can click on the programs folder where I can see the missing entries that should appear on my "all programs" list plus those which I presently see on my "all programs" list together in a single directory listing.

How can I get the above directory list of programs back into the "start menu" "all programs" area so I do not have to go through this extra window and select the programs folder to locate what I wish to run?

I also noticed my accessories folder has a lock on it while I am in the primary user administrator account. If you know how to get rid of the lock it would be helpful however I can find that information when I get a chance to look up the answer?

I noticed some hidden (first tier) folders on the C: drive which I made visible while leaving protection on the OS folders. I can now see these folders in an iexplore.exe directory listing. This did not fix the problem in the "all programs" file selection list and I do not remember if this folder was hidden when the OS was installed.

When I opened up the system to allow a login directly into the Administrator account everything shows up the same as it did when the OS installed along with all other programs installed afterward.

After some progress I am still here *Bang Head :banghead: and slowly getting closer to an answer. Can anyone help me get there a little faster?

N9ZN-Extra, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

On reboot & closing programs, Start Menu opens. Need to see Desktop

1. On reboot & closing programs, Start Menu opens. Need to see Desktop - Similar Threads - reboot closing programs

2. Start menu closes immediately when open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu closes immediately when open: When I click or press the shortcut key the start menu closes immediately. It only flashes for second and does nothing. I tried restarting the PC but still wont make it. This issue only occurs after I perform system restore on the device for different concern....
  3. Start menu closes immediately when open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu closes immediately when open: When I click or press the shortcut key the start menu closes immediately. It only flashes for second and does nothing. I tried restarting the PC but still wont make it. This issue only occurs after I perform system restore on the device for different concern....
  4. Start menu closes immediately when open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Start menu not closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu not closing: I clicked on the start menu and when I open my application the start menu will not turn off or close. I need to refresh my computer to make it gone. I restart the computer and issue persist. It is disturbing and kind of irritable when this whole start menu never close....
  6. Start menu not closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu not closing: I clicked on the start menu and when I open my application the start menu will not turn off or close. I need to refresh my computer to make it gone. I restart the computer and issue persist. It is disturbing and kind of irritable when this whole start menu never close....
  7. Start menu not closing

8. close start menu

close start menu: After last Windows 10 update, I cannot close stat menu. Internet websites have no minimization button, and close button is hidden in the upper right corner. I play Caesars slots which would run in the background while I looked at other websites, now the game stops...
  9. Unable to see Desktop background when opening Start Menu in Full screen

Unable to see Desktop background when opening Start Menu in Full screen: My start screen has all my tiles on it and the back ground will change colors but when I open it to full screen view the back ground goes black. I have toggled tablet mode on and off and I have change from picture to slide show and I have enlarged the tiles but to no avail...
  10. Start Menu and Programs Won't Open

Start Menu and Programs Won't Open: Whenever I click on Start or press the Windows key the start menu won't open. Also, I can't use my search bar. Another problem is that most of my programs that I have installed won't open. For example, whenever I click on Word, Excel, or Powerpoint, it will show starting Word...