Windows 10: On reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles blank out - i.e. the icon disappears. How can I...

Discus and support On reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles blank out - i.e. the icon disappears. How can I... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home version 1803 OS build 17134.285 When I reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles become blank with the icon having disappeared.. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BananaFrappe, Oct 3, 2018.

1. On reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles blank out - i.e. the icon disappears. How can I...

Windows 10 Home

version 1803

OS build 17134.285

When I reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles become blank with the icon having disappeared.. The tiles still take me to the appropriate app or link, but they are blank. I can easily regenerate them by resizing up/down and the icon is back. Then I can resize back to my preferred size for that tile.

It does not occur with every reboot, and it is not always the same tiles. But so far every single time the "Microsoft Solitaire Collection" that comes with the Win10 install has blanked out with a reboot.

What is going on? How do I fix this?

I've been told that this is a defect of version 1803. Is this true? If so, how can I fix it? This is becoming quite annoying.

This is a relatively new computer. Only 4 weeks old and has every update available, except the October one which hasn't popped up in my Update Notification yet.

:)

BananaFrappe, Oct 3, 2018
  2. b1rd Win User
    b1rd, Oct 3, 2018
  3. David_347 Win User
    Tile on start menu disappeared

I am running Windows 10. For the past several weeks, I have made no changes to my start menu. Today I clicked on a tile to start an application, and noted immediately that the tile disappeared from the start menu. I thought I may have accidentally moved
    it but I cannot find it anywhere on my start menu. It still is in the list of apps, and I can start it from there. If I go to that list and right click it still thinks the app is on the start menu, because it gives me the option to remove it. I have chosen
    this option and then it gives me the choice of adding it to the start menu, but when I choose that option, no tile appears. So the system thinks there is a tile there, but it doesn't show.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

David_347, Oct 3, 2018
  4. On reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles blank out - i.e. the icon disappears. How can I...

Start Menu Tiles disappeared after reinstall

I have since manually added back the tiles. After the initial reset, the start menu only featured the program list. The entire tile section was blank.

orion_roberts, Oct 3, 2018
Thema:

On reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles blank out - i.e. the icon disappears. How can I...

1. On reboot, sometimes my Start Menu tiles blank out - i.e. the icon disappears. How can I... - Similar Threads - reboot sometimes Start

2. Blank Tiles on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank Tiles on Start Menu: [ATTACH] Hi folks This has been like this for a few months now, but I'd like to try fix it. I've a couple of apps that just don't have icons; they display as blank in the Start Menu....
  3. Start Menu Tile Blank After Changing Icon

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Tile Blank After Changing Icon: I have an Access shortcut to my database which I store in the Users....Star Menu/Startup. The tile in the start menu is blank when I unpin it and then repin it with the new icon. I even changed it back to the default icon and it didn't help. Now I must re-create the...
  4. How can I copy my start menu tiles to another drive?

How can I copy my start menu tiles to another drive?: I have a ton of custom tiles on my Start Menu, but just installed Windows10 again on a new drive. I'd like to migrate the tiles over to my new OS. I've seen a few articles about copying a certain XML file, but did not seem to work when I placed it on my new OS. Any known...
  5. How to change Start menu tile icon

How to change Start menu tile icon: I want to change the Settings tile to the new 10X settings icon. Can you help me with this? submitted by /u/stadiafan37 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hpt37v/how_to_change_start_menu_tile_icon/
  6. Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?

Start Menu Tiles and their Icons - How to fill entire tile with Icon?: I have 3 shortcuts to websites... specifically links to Zoom conferences. I have pinned these shortcuts to the start menu as small tiles. I made 3 icons, one for each, in Illustrator, saved as PNG, then ran them through Gimp to save as Icons. Gimp has changed a LOT since I...
  7. How to assign icon to start menu tile.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to assign icon to start menu tile.: I've got an old app from Everett Kaiser called Sherlock. I've got the app pinned to my start menu. The icon is a smoking Calibaster pipe. Recently the app icon changed to what I would describe as a white page. I've tried to unpin from start and repinned from app on c: drive,...
  8. Start menu tiles greying out after a reboot

Start menu tiles greying out after a reboot: Is anyone else having this problem? Whenever I reboot, some of my Start menu apps tiles are resized and greyed out. Manually resizing them and repositioning them is a workaround but that shoudn't be necessary in the first place. Seems like a simple problem with a hopefully...
  9. Windows Start menu - I can't unpin a blank tile

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start menu - I can't unpin a blank tile: I've had an invalid shortcut in: C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and I removed it but the problem is that I didn't unpin it from the Start Menu first and now I'm stuck with a blank tile which I can move around and resize but can't...
  10. How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles)

in Windows 10 Support
    How can I reset the start menu layout (the tiles): The old method that worked in 8.x and older 10 of the two files no longer works. Anybody know of a method? 7145