Windows 10: On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.

Discus and support On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Alright, so, a few days ago I restarted my laptop, a couple weeks after upgrading to W10, and over the next hour i noticed three seemingly unrelated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GJT0530, Oct 19, 2015.

1. GJT0530 Win User

On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.

Alright, so, a few days ago I restarted my laptop, a couple weeks after upgrading to W10, and over the next hour i noticed three seemingly unrelated problems that all started at the same time.

I first noticed that two of my pinned taskbar icons are "blank". They show no icon in the box. It still highlights when i scroll over it, and i can still click them, but they won't actually open. One of them is microsoft edge and the other I can't recall what it is, but when i try to open either I get "This app won't open". I tried to remove them and just put back new icons, and I discovered i can't right click on them. Nothing comes up when I do. My other programs are fine on the taskbar, it's just two out of 10.

The second thing I noticed is that when I search via cortana, or navigate via the start menu, i cannot open programs. I can open programs via clicking a file that defaults to them, or by opening the program via desktop shortcut or the .exe, but i can't open from the start menu.

Finally, when I open internet explorer, it also has a blank icon, though it does work normally otherwise.

I don't know if there's some reason any or all of these would be related but the timing was all within an hour after a restart. I have restarted several times since and had no new programs installed or anything like that shortly before the problem occured.

:)

GJT0530, Oct 19, 2015

2. Taskbar, start menu and search and other icons on taskbar not working right

Hello David,

Thank you for updating us with the status of the issue and I appreciate your efforts in resolving this issue by yourself. This might help other community members.

For further assistance related to Windows feel free to post your queries in Microsoft forums. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Oct 19, 2015
  3. Annoying problems with the start menu and taskbar.

Hi Yuri,

Thank you for getting in touch with Microsoft Community.

Before we start troubleshooting the issue, we require more information to assist you better.

• What exactly is the issue you are facing?

• What exactly you mean by “Content menu”? Are you referring to Start Menu?

• Since when are you facing this issue?

If you are referring to Start Menu then I suggest you to try the instructions provided below and check if it helps.

• Right click on Taskbar.
    • Select Task Manager.
    • In Task Manager Window, click on
      File and select Run New Task.
    • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    • Type Powershell
    • Type the following 2 commands in the Powershell prompt:
    • $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
      and press Enter.
    • Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} and press Enter.
    • Close the Powershell window.
    • Reboot.

Hope this information is helpful. Please write back to us if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Syed Md Bilal, Oct 19, 2015
  4. On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.

If icons disappear, you might have to clear your icon cache. Try this.

altproject, Oct 20, 2015
  5. GJT0530 Win User
    That did seem to fix the problem with IE, but not the missing taskbar icons and I still have the other problems.

GJT0530, Oct 20, 2015
  6. GJT0530 Win User
    Anyone have any ideas about the main problems?

GJT0530, Oct 21, 2015
  7. GJT0530 Win User
    I can't find any advice with a google search, I'm not sure what to try.

GJT0530, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar.

1. On restart, developed problems with search, start menu, and taskbar. - Similar Threads - restart developed problems

2. Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu/'Type here to search'/Taskbar lagging.: When I try to open the windows start menu it takes about 2-3 seconds to load and it is really frustrating, this also happens with opening and closing task manager, right clicking on the task bar and attempting to quick search something. Sometimes the 'Type here to search'...
  3. Taskbar and Start menu search unresponsive to any clicks

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar and Start menu search unresponsive to any clicks: Greetings,Starting at least a few weeks now, I find my taskbar completely unresponsive to any type of clicks. It also happens in some other UI elements, like certain dialog boxes and in the Start menu after typing a search query.I've tried many of the proposed solutions I...
  4. Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar, Start menu,search And cortana are not working: So I logged on my pc And i noticed all icons in task bar are gone so when i try to click the start menu its not working And when i put my cursor on the search My cursor becomes the loading thingyI tried restarting file explorer and it didnt workHelp...
  5. Problem with Start menu and Search bar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Start menu and Search bar: From these two days, I can't open search menu and when ever I click on start menu the explorer restarts. I can't even open some apps(now in Insider build 20H2). submitted by /u/itsme_shibintmz [link] [comments]...
  6. Start up menu and Taskbar problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Start up menu and Taskbar problems: I have spent all day trying different cures for the Startup menu and task bar freeze problem to no avail. The problem does not exist in my user acct only in the wife's and she is getting upset. I did some how get it to stop locking out and forcing a restart. I wish I knew...
  7. Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Taskbar Search and Start Menu Problems: I did the sfc scannow, the powershell app thing, I think I did the DSIM thing too. What can I do? 28297
  8. Problem with Start Menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with Start Menu search: I had to restore a older image of my Windows 10 install, after copying my current user profile. I restored it, copied the new user profile over the old one and got all working. Except the Start menu search feature stopped finding programs, the only results it returns are...
  9. Problems with Taskbar, Start menu, search and Graphics driver

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Taskbar, Start menu, search and Graphics driver: Hey People i resently upgraded to windows 10 and so far i like the OS, but small things seems to bother me. First of all am I unable to right click my icons in the taskbar in order to get the menu of the given program to pop-up. Second thing is sort of similar,...
  10. start menu search problem

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu search problem: Build 14328. I can't open start menu and begin typing to search anymore. searching only works in the Cortana box. 48330