Windows 10: On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

Discus and support On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This On-Screen Keyboard bug changes the current foreground window. Steps: Open Edge and notepad and maximize them (never minimize them) Select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yoyoma2, Sep 11, 2020.

1. yoyoma2 Win User

On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

This On-Screen Keyboard bug changes the current foreground window.

Steps:

1. Open Edge and notepad and maximize them (never minimize them)
    2. Select notepad by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    3. Open the On-Screen Keyboard (in Windows Ease of access)
    4. Type a few characters into notepad with the On-Screen Keyboard
    5. Minimize the On-Screen Keyboard
    6. Select Edge by clicking on it in taskbar (it's now on top)
    7. Restore the On-Screen Keyboard by clicking on it in taskbar and use it to type into Edge
    Result:

Notepad is now on top

Expected result:

Edge remains on top i.e. the On-Screen Keyboard maintains the current foreground window in which you intended to type.

History:

This superuser Q&A contains links to this bug being reported in windows 8, windows 7 and claims it goes back 17 years to Windows XP.

Workarounds:

Kill the On-Screen Keyboard every time instead of minimizing it. The bug occurs because the On-Screen Keyboard fails to keep track of the current foreground window while minimized.

Patch out the SetForegroundWindow call from the On-Screen Keyboard binary as described in the superuser link above.

Wait 17 more years for Microsoft to fix it.

Tell user to stop being disabled.

:)

yoyoma2, Sep 11, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 8.1 update changed the language, can't change back

Maybe, these will help... it seems it is a common enough problem.

Language packs are no longer available after you upgrade to Windows 8.1

And, sort of the same here --> Add a language or keyboard

Quote from above MS web page:

Spoiler Download and install language packs
    You'll need to download the language pack if you want to make a language your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps).
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click a language that says Language pack available underneath, and then tap or click Options.
    • Tap or click Download. The download process might take a while, depending on your PC and the size of the language pack.
      If you want to make this your display language, see the next section "Change your Windows display language".
    Change your Windows display language
    To change your Windows display language (that's the language you see most often in Windows and apps), first add a language, download and install the language pack, and then follow these steps.
    • Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, click Settings, and then click Change PC settings.)
    • Tap or click Time and language, and then tap or click Region and language.
    • Tap or click the language that you want to set as your display language.
    • Tap or click Set as primary to move the language to the top of the list. If the language can become your Windows display language, you'll see Will be display language after next sign-in appear under the language.
    • Sign out and then sign back in to finish.
    And here is some more info --> Add Language Packs to Windows

95Viper, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Keyboard shortcut Alt key not working

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?

• Did you make any software or hardware changes on your computer prior to this issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: You may check if the ALT key is functioning correctly in on-screen keyboard. It will help us to verify if there is any issue with the keyboard.

Follow the steps below to open On-screen Keyboard.

• Windows + Q, type OSK (on-screen keyboard)

• And check if it works
    Step 2: Run Hardware and device Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your devices. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Sep 11, 2020
  4. On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

How do I change the default keyboard from handwriting to typing on Windows 10

Hi Paul,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need to know more information to help you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you enabled the tablet mode settings on Windows 10?

Kindly follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Turn off on screen keyboard

• Open Start menu, type Settings in search bar and click on Settings.
    • Click on Ease of access and select keyboard.
    • Turn off the on screen keyboard.

Step 2: Turn off tablet mode

I suggest you to turn off tablet mode, as it may also be the cause for the issue.

• Open Start menu, type tablet mode settings in search bar and click on it.
    • Turn off the tablet mode option and check if it helps.

Reference: I suggest you to refer the below link and check if it helps.

Change your language or keyboard

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/add-language-keyboard

The steps applies for Windows 10 also.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window

1. On-Screen Keyboard bug changes foreground window - Similar Threads - Screen Keyboard bug

2. Keyboard bug in Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard bug in Windows 10!: Hello for the last couple of days, my keyboard has been acting crazy. I use Windows 10. Suddenly it automatically keeps typing 5555...555. The keys under the function keys where 5 and % key is set it is not working. I can use the 5 in the numlock section. Also, the Ctrl+V or...
  3. Keyboard bug in Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard bug in Windows 10!: Hello for the last couple of days, my keyboard has been acting crazy. I use Windows 10. Suddenly it automatically keeps typing 5555...555. The keys under the function keys where 5 and % key is set it is not working. I can use the 5 in the numlock section. Also, the Ctrl+V or...
  4. Keyboard bug in Windows 10!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows not brought to foreground

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not brought to foreground: I have a issue that I have not been able to fix. My Phone Link window is not being brought to the foreground if it is already open. Steps to reproduce: 1. Open Phone Link 2. Open another window of some sort e.g. Notepad and place it on top of the Phone Link window so it...
  6. Windows not brought to foreground

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not brought to foreground: I have a issue that I have not been able to fix. My Phone Link window is not being brought to the foreground if it is already open. Steps to reproduce: 1. Open Phone Link 2. Open another window of some sort e.g. Notepad and place it on top of the Phone Link window so it...
  7. keyboard bug?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard bug?: Windows 10 dev team, I am running windows 10 x64. ver.exe reports: 10.0.18363.900. All updates are installed as of this writing. Certain applications do not accept keystrokes. Most do. Two examples where my keyboard input is completely ignored are: 1. If I select a wifi...
  8. Keyboard bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard bug: In the last couple of hours my machine developed a strange bug. When I type: if I'm typing in Word, dialog boxes open, menus get highlighted, the cursor location changes, perhaps as if the ctrl or tab key were being activated; if I'm typing in a URL bar, the text gets...
  9. Open windows in foreground

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open windows in foreground: All of a sudden, the windows I open are in the background and cannot be brought to the foreground by clicking on them. Also the task bar has quit sliding out if I have a window opened full screen. I have to downsize the window to get the task bar to slide out from the side....
  10. On-Screen Keyboard Language Change

in Windows 10 Customization
    On-Screen Keyboard Language Change: How do I change the language on my on-screen keyboard? The normal keyboard does not have a "phonetic" option nor do I have a keyboard cover with the letters from the other language. This makes it difficult to type in a foreign language....