Windows 10: on screen letters not fully readable

Discus and support on screen letters not fully readable in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For some reason, the print on my laptop screen only partially appears at times! It does this on all sites! The print (letters) are only partial... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BobandJan, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BobandJan Win User

on screen letters not fully readable

For some reason, the print on my laptop screen only partially appears at times! It does this on all sites! The print (letters) are only partial frequently, but, not all the time! For example if I am checking my email, the print is clear, but, when I scroll done, parts of the letters disappear making it unreadable! Any suggestions?

:)

BobandJan, Mar 13, 2019

2. TEXT DISPLAY IS NOT READABLE

Hi Johnson,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I would like to ask if the issue persists every time you start the computer.

I suggest you to change the resolution of the screen by following the below steps and check if it helps.

• Right click on Desktop and select “Display Settings”.
    • Under Display settings click on “Advanced Display Settings”.
    • Under resolution select the resolution which is feasible and save the changes.

Another way to change the size of the letters is by holding the Ctrl key and using the scroll button in the Mouse.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 13, 2019
  4. JediNemo Win User

User Folder Relocation - drive letter changed / can't log in

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this in.

Here's the scenario.
    You use the (amazing) folder relocation tutorial in this forum. The process succeeds and you have a wonderful stress free year in Windows 10. Then your motherboard fails and you replace it with a different brand. Suddenly, when you get booted back to Windows, you can't log in! You quickly realize it's because you set your 2nd hard drive to drive letter "D:", but when Windows reloaded the disk drives because of the hardware change, it assigned "D:" to the DVD drive, and now you are stuck!

Fear not fellow tweakers, I put in the research and have the solution (this may be redundant from another post, tried to search originally but didn't find anything, so my apologies if duplicating).

Quick detail: First, we are going to boot into the recovery console and use the command prompt. In the recovery console, please be aware that it uses a virtual drive "X:" as the OS drive. Your other drive letters will be changed. Then we will identify which drive letter your OS is installed on. Next we will find which drive letter your user profiles are loaded on. Then we will make registry edits to fix the drive letter changes. Finally a reboot and celebratory dance.

Note: You will need an understanding of command line operations and registry editing. If you do not, please find that information first, I will assume you have this knowledge moving forward.
    Also, there are no screen shots. I'm sorry, I didn't think I would be posting this while I went through the process, therefore I have no screen shots to share. If anyone has to go through this, it would be great if you could share your experience and provide screenshots if available.

***THIS INVOLVES REGISTRY EDITING. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT A REGISTRY EXPERT AND CAN NOT TROUBLESHOOT MISSED STEPS OR ERRORS.***

Step 1: Boot into the Recovery Console and select the Command Prompt option.
    * If you don't know how, basic tutorial: Interrupt the boot cycle 3 times to activate the recovery consol. As the system boots, when you see the windows logo, simply do a hard reset. After 3 times, when the windows logo appears, it will say it is starting "Automatic Recovery". Once that is done, log in with the local admin account and it will (at least for me) automatically open a command prompt.
    * This can also be accomplished a number of other ways including the use of recovery drives, install media, etc.

Step 2: If you are confident on which drive is likely which, you can skip to step 3. If not, you need to determine which drive is which in the registry. To do this you have to use a variety of steps.
    1. Find the original OS drive. In the command prompt, type the following command:
      bcdedit | find "osdevice"
      The command will return osdecice partition=*: where "*" will be the current drive letter.
    2. Now you need to find the drive that has the user profiles folder assigned, from your folder relocation. There are a few ways to do this, I will list one. Type "regedit" in the command prompt to open the registry editor.
    3. In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
    4. In this part of the registry you will see all the drive letters assigned to various volumes. From step 2a, you'll know which volume would be your normal "C:" drive. Write down the hex code associated with that drive letter. Next, you need to determine which drive letters represent volumes on physically mounted drives, and which represent removable media. Not getting too technical, basically you just look for all the volumes that have a hex code length equal to that of the OS drive.
      1. For example, if in step 2a you discovered that your OS drive is assigned the letter "W:", then look at the entry with that drive letter assigned. The number of hex entries represents a volume on a physically connected drive. Find all the other drive letters that have an equal number of hex entries. Those are all volumes on physically connected drives.
    5. Explore each of those drive letters to find the one with the user profile folder.
    6. Do this by typing "dir *:" in the command prompt, where "*" equals the drive letter.
    7. Go back to the registry editor (regedit). Find the "DosDrive" key entry with same drive letter as in step 2e. Write down the hex code for that key entry.

Step 3: Before we can make the necessary registry changes, you need to connect to a different registry, called a "Hive".
    1. This link has a more expanded explanation of what we are about to do.
    2. In the key folder pane (left pane) of the Registry Editor window, highlight the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" option.
    3. Next, click on "File" and chose the option for "Load Hive"
    4. You'll have a familiar "open" window, navigate to the os drive found in step 2a.
    5. Navigate to the windows\system32\config folder
    6. Select the "SYSTEM" file option, and click "OPEN"
    7. It will ask for a key name. This is a temporary name and thus doesn't need anything official. Make it easy to remember. I used: "Drive Letter Change". Then click "OK"
    8. Now you will see an option under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for "Drive Letter Change" (or whatever you named it in the previous step.
    9. Open that new folder and navigate down to
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drive Letter Change\MountedDevices
    10. This will look similar to what you found in step 2d, with the notable difference being this is what Windows will look like when not in recovery!

Step 4: Make the registry changes
    1. Delete every registry entry that either starts with \\??\ OR has a hex code LONGER than the physical drives (Step 2d).
    2. You should be left with \DosDevices\ keys with equal length hex codes.
    3. Find the key with the hex code that matches with the OS drive you wrote down in step 2d. Make sure it is assigned the drive letter "C:"
      1. There should be no change in this
    4. Find the key with a hex code that matches your user folder drive, you wrote this down in step 2f.
    5. Right click that key name and chose the option for "Rename"
    6. Change the drive letter to whichever drive letter is needed for your particular setup.
      1. When I did my folder relocation initially, I had set my user folders to be found on the D drive. So on this step I renamed the key from "\DosDevice\E:" to "\DosDevice\D:"
    7. Confirm there are no duplicate or conflicting key entries: each drive letter will be used only once.
    8. *NOTE* For THIS particular set of keys (MountedDevices), you can safely delete everything thing. Windows will re-initialize these values at boot if it detects drives that are unaccounted for. So, if you delete everything besides the C drive and your user profile drive, that is OK! Windows will reconstruct the missing keys for you. Once you can log in, you can use Device Manager to change drive letters at will. This IS NOT TRUE for all registry items.

Step 5: Close the registry editor

Step 6: Type "exit" at the command prompt

Step 7: Click on the button for "Turn off PC"

Step 8: Count to 10, take a deep breath, and turn the computer back on

Step 9: Log into windows

Step 10: Assuming Step 9 worked, celebrate in your preferred method. If step 9 didn't work, double check you followed my instructions. If not, shut it all down and go to the beach!

JediNemo, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

1. on screen letters not fully readable - Similar Threads - screen letters fully

2. Provided Key not readable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Provided Key not readable: Windows 11 key purchased and the Provided Key not readable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/provided-key-not-readable/ea323ceb-86a3-43f0-9647-c6ad61f79fe4
  3. Provided Key not readable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Provided Key not readable: Windows 11 key purchased and the Provided Key not readable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/provided-key-not-readable/ea323ceb-86a3-43f0-9647-c6ad61f79fe4
  4. Numbers and Letters at Top of Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Numbers and Letters at Top of Screen: if i hit alt or backslash that results in numbers and letters showing at the top of my screen and are in the foreground and i cannot use the keyborad anymore. How do I remove this display?...
  5. readability of all screens

readability of all screens: text in all microsoft apps appears gray vice black. tried Clear Type and font adjust but can't seem to improve it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/readability-of-all-screens/ebf7e151-0be4-43b9-b47e-bd730b0fb7e9
  6. Readable File Backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Readable File Backup: I am setting up a new computer. In the past I have used SyncToy to back up files to an external hard drive, but I understand that it won't work with Windows 10 any longer because an older .net version is required for SyncToy. I do not want to use cloud services. What...
  7. SSD Not Fully Recognized, can't change drive letter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD Not Fully Recognized, can't change drive letter: Hi guys, I recently got a 1T Samsung Evo 970 Plus to put in my lenovo legion y520. I think windows sees it, but the drive is not showing up in my computer. I went to disk management to try and change the drive letter, and what I assume is the ssd is labelled as "healthy...
  8. Readability problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Readability problems: On my small 10.1 screen in a number of situations I am finding the text difficult to read, sometimes because of the size of the font, more often it is the colour of the font against the background. This applies to some apps and often with system popup windows. I have just...
  9. Software not readable on Windows 10

Software not readable on Windows 10: I have a Brother Quattro 6000D. I have software I have never used and now windows 10 will not read the disc. PE-DESIGN, PE-DESIGN PLUS and FLIP PAL. Can you help me?...
  10. Screen doesn't load fully

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Screen doesn't load fully: Hi ... Does anyone else have this issue, every time I open anything whether it be the This PC, Delete, Control Panel or even the browser I always need to expand the screen . It's off by a tiny bit on each side . I have try doing the Shift key and drag, also try the control...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. partial letters on screen

2. laptop display is partial numbers and letters