Windows 10: On the subject of passthrough audio via HDMI

Discus and support On the subject of passthrough audio via HDMI in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Why is it that the Sound options in Control panel automatically recognize the HDMI passthroughs capabilities in terms of bit rate and frequency; yet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by BrandonKnoll, Jun 25, 2019.

1. On the subject of passthrough audio via HDMI

Why is it that the Sound options in Control panel automatically recognize the HDMI passthroughs capabilities in terms of bit rate and frequency; yet don't ask when switched to said device if you would like to switch from the current bit rate and frequency to the best available. Further upon initial use of that device it should log your response and ask if you want to default to it when using this device in the future.

This allows multiple devices to be setup and swapped actively, which is what recent changes to sound configuration imply Microsoft is aiming for.

Just as reference, my PC passes through my GPU (NVidia Titan X) via HDMI to a Yamaha stereo, then to my Samsung tv via HDMI. The PC has access to the hardware info right up to the TV as it shows it as Samsung 'model x' in display settings. Clearly all the info needed to implement this is available...

:)

BrandonKnoll, Jun 25, 2019
  2. hkw_can Win User

HDMI Passthrough on Windows 10

I have windows 10 desktop (HP Envy 700-339, i7, 16G ram) that I use almost exclusively for media playing. I have it hooked up to a Denon receiver via HDMI, and the Denon Receiver is connected via HDMI to a projector.

This setup has been working very well for the past 10 months, Plex would send the video and non-decoded audio stream to the receiver, which would decode the audio (DTS, Dolby, etc) send to the speakers and life is good.

I ran Windows 8.1 for about 6 months or so and for the last fee months I upgraded to Windows 10. However a few days ago, after an update, the HDMI Passthrough stopped working. The only way I can get audio now is via multiple PCM Channels (I.e. Decoded by
    the desktop), Passthrough simple stopped working.

I have tried everything possible, re-installed drivers, re-installed apps (VLC, Plex, PowerDVD, all with same result, no HDMI Passthrough). I even tried rolling back since the last critical update (hum, 2 days before I noticed the issue).

Anyhow if anyone has any suggestions I'm open for anything. I'm about to pull the plug and do a new install (Windows 8.1). This is really basic, and I've seen a bunch of other posts saying it is a know issue... But no real resolution. Hopefully some can
    shed some light here.

Thanks!

hkw_can, Jun 25, 2019
  3. HDMI Passthrough on Windows 10

Hi,

after upgrading to Windows 10 and connecting everything via HDMI I ran into the same problems. It was a nasty one but I ultimately found solutions for everything!

#1 Cyberlink PowerDVD: open programm -> open settings (crlt + shift c) -> choose Video, Audio, Subtitles in Player Settings -> Output: choose HDMI, then click "More Audio Settings" -> Output mode: check "NON-DECODED high-definition audio to EXTERNAL DEVICE"
    -> Hit Ok & Ok

This makes sure you external AV Reciever is decoding the audio and not Windows. I read that when the receiver supports PCM Multichannel it makes no difference if Windows or the AV Receiver is decoding the audio. After I worked this out I played some videos
    in my experience it does. For example my central speaker is more clear and the hole audio is simply more clearer and adjusted because the settings from the receiver are used. I simply don't have so many options configuring audio in Windows as I have in my
    AV receiver and who knows how the **** Windows is decoding.

So this is why I have a solution for Plex and VLC as well.

#2 PLEX: In preference go to the audio settings ("Audio output" page): Audio output -> HDMI and then at the end of the audio settings on the right side, MAKE SURE, that "Audio output device" and "Passthrough output device" is your AV Receiver. In my case
    the name is WASAPI: HDMI - 1 - TX-NR414 (AMD High Definition Audio Device) (HDMI 1 in my case because HMDI 1 is connected to my AV Receiver (TX NR 414) and AMD High Definition Audio Device because I am using a Raedon Graphic Cards. So adapt this to your settings.

#3 VLC: I found no solution that works with VLC because lacks the option for raw audio passthrough to the AV receiver. I tried all options available. No luck. Maybe there is a solution because you said it worked with Windows 8.1 but after working hours on
    this and then finally understanding what's the matter I figured it wont work with VLC. In Windows 8.1 Windows maybe had a different way treating audio streams and there was some kind of bitstream passthrough before VLC even had the chance to decode to Audio.

My guess is you are looking for a small simple video programm just like VLC. Not these big applications like Plex and Cyberlink DVD. So I would get "MPH-HC" -> https://mpc-hc.org/

Then open the app, open Options (just hit O), on the left go to "Internal Filters", then "Audio decoder" on the right, on the left there is something like "Bitstreaming S/PDIF, HDMI). Just check all the boxes and don't worry, you can avtivate DTS-HD after
    you checked DTS.

That's it. There are no options like this in VLC. So bye bye VLC.

ChristianMehlfeld, Jun 25, 2019
  4. sam0t Win User

On the subject of passthrough audio via HDMI

HD4350, HDMI audio not working

It seems that the latest compatible drivers for 4350 card is the CCC 8.10 Hotfix drivers, this is what the ati.com site suggests when selecting XP driver for 4350.

Try the 8.10 hotfix drivers, if still no audio, check device manager if HDMI passthrough codec is installed or not. I dunno if CCC drivers actually install the Realtek ATI HD codec or not (one would assume they do) ?? If not, head to Realteks website and download the ATI HDMI Audio Device driver and install it through device manager.

sam0t, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

On the subject of passthrough audio via HDMI

1. On the subject of passthrough audio via HDMI - Similar Threads - subject passthrough audio

2. Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback: Hi, I've been using two monitors for the past couple months with my PC, both are the same brand/model with speakers included. One is connected via display port, and the other is connected via HDMI.I've been able to change the playback back and forth between the monitors...
  3. Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback: Hi, I've been using two monitors for the past couple months with my PC, both are the same brand/model with speakers included. One is connected via display port, and the other is connected via HDMI.I've been able to change the playback back and forth between the monitors...
  4. Monitor connected via HDMI not recognized by audio playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI: I bought a new monitor and set it up via HDMI once I've changed the sounds to the relevant monitor output wasn't working I disabled the other drivers deleted the drivers and restarted even rollback to a previous one Still NO Luck when I check in event viewer NVIDIA AUTIO...
  6. Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI

Audio is not working when connecting to monitor via HDMI: I bought a new monitor and set it up via HDMI once I've changed the sounds to the relevant monitor output wasn't working I disabled the other drivers deleted the drivers and restarted even rollback to a previous one Still NO Luck when I check in event viewer NVIDIA AUTIO...
  7. How to play audio via both HDMI and audio jack?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to play audio via both HDMI and audio jack?: It seems that, with Windows, audio can only be output via one device at the same time.So when I plug the HDMI cable into the TV, and the 3.5mm jack into the hi-fi system, I can only have the sound played through one or the other, but not both.I have tried following...
  8. How to play audio via both HDMI and audio jack?

How to play audio via both HDMI and audio jack?: It seems that, with Windows, audio can only be output via one device at the same time.So when I plug the HDMI cable into the TV, and the 3.5mm jack into the hi-fi system, I can only have the sound played through one or the other, but not both.I have tried following...
  9. How to play audio via both HDMI and audio jack?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Audio via HDMI to TV

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio via HDMI to TV: My friend could switch off his LG TV and still listen tomusic from a video playing on his Acer Aspire E15 via HDMI on the TV before he updatedWindows 10 to Windows 10 Anniversary Update now he is unable to hear the musicfrom the video on the Acer Aspire E15 laptop on the TV...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1909 audio passthrough