Windows 10: On upgrading your system beware of 16+ GBs RAM - Hell Corner

Discus and support On upgrading your system beware of 16+ GBs RAM - Hell Corner in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So basically I am writing this (Frequently Asked Yet Wrongly Answered Question) after realizing that there are minimal knowledge available about RAMs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 31, 2018.

1. On upgrading your system beware of 16+ GBs RAM - Hell Corner

So basically I am writing this (Frequently Asked Yet Wrongly Answered Question) after realizing that there are minimal knowledge available about RAMs and their optimizations :

Q - I have 8 GBs of RAM would buying 16 GBs make my system run faster ?

A - A tech would answer you "But probably you do not need all that memory and you might peek at tops 80% of 8 GB capacity so might be a useless upgrade not unless you are running high end Video/2D/3D editing software !" .

But yet here is a fact few know , upgrading to 16 GBs of RAM might actually "Slow You Down" . As you might know RAMs come claimed to be running at a certain Bus Speed (Lets say DDR4 2400 MHz) , is it running really at such speed ? Nope you see this is the Dual Channel Bus technology claimed speed , Dual Bus is a technology made so you can be reading data off both RAMs (Commonly they give out two slots for RAMs in most systems where if more , the claimed bus speed may increase along with channels where it would be 4 channels ~ 8 channels etc) . So by claiming RAMs to be running at 2400 MHz this mean a single stick speed is actually 1200 MHz .

The sad story is there had been a war for years between manufacturers of RAMs and OS makers about what is called "Load Balancing" of data i.e altering the writing to both sticks so upon reading you get the actual Dual Bus speed value , the OS makers believe this should be handled by a smart chip on a RAM stick while manufacturers believe this is OS problem choosing what data goes where as OS is all about control .

The result of this sad story is : We are left with sequential writing i.e the OS keep filling the RAMs based on first free address it finds along the path . Hence one RAM stick needs to be filled first before the other light up .

So guess by now you are starting to gather the plot , if you are actually hardly pushing the use of your RAM capacity to 80% while on 8 GBs , upgrading to 16 GBs might actually get you to use 1 stick the whole time , meaning running at Single Channel Bus (1200 MHz in this example) capacity the whole time which is something about 50% speed loss . So before considering over-clocking your 16 GBs RAMs which would get you marginal MHz speed boost , do consider a down grade to 8 GBs to gain a significant 100% speed boost .

Cheers
    *Cool

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 31, 2018

2. how to upgrade Ram from 8 to 16 gb?

I have a Dell Inspiron with 8gb ram and windows 10. The laptop is very slow and i want to upgrade my ram to 16 gb. How to upgrade ram? need help!

Madan Deepakumar Chengalvarayan, Oct 31, 2018
  3. how to upgrade Ram from 8 to 16 gb?

Hey Madan. This is not a Windows issue or Microsoft issue but I'll try to help.

To go from 8 GB RAM to 16 GB. You will have to actually purchase COMPATIBLE 16 GB sticks of RAM then install them. Dell Inspiron might have more information on what kind of RAM is compatible with your PC.

Getting more RAM is not a simple troubleshooting fix and if you are on a laptop, it might be impossible.

Zackary Vanosdol, Oct 31, 2018
  4. On upgrading your system beware of 16+ GBs RAM - Hell Corner

winodws 10 24 gb ram installed only 16 usable

I just upgraded from win 7 home premium 64 bit to win 10

I know that the windows 7 version I had only went up

to 16 gb of ram but I thought that Windows 10 had up

to 128 gb limit.

It still shows in the system that 24 gb is installed but only 16 is usable

anyway to fix this, or do I need to try and create an install disk to do

a clean install?

My mb supports up to 32 gb ram

Icottoneyejoe, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

On upgrading your system beware of 16+ GBs RAM - Hell Corner

1. On upgrading your system beware of 16+ GBs RAM - Hell Corner - Similar Threads - upgrading system beware

2. Upgrading ram 8+16, is it safe?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading ram 8+16, is it safe?: HelloI'm Mohit a compositing artist.I have laptop asus rog g531gt, which has 8+8gb of ram, 512SSD, nvidia gtx 1650 4gb of graphic,i'm using heavy softwares like maya and nuke since last 3 years now i'm facing lack of ram, nuke is using 70 to 80% of cpu and rami am thinking of...
  3. Upgrading ram 8+16, is it safe?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading ram 8+16, is it safe?: HelloI'm Mohit a compositing artist.I have laptop asus rog g531gt, which has 8+8gb of ram, 512SSD, nvidia gtx 1650 4gb of graphic,i'm using heavy softwares like maya and nuke since last 3 years now i'm facing lack of ram, nuke is using 70 to 80% of cpu and rami am thinking of...
  4. Upgrading ram 8+16, is it safe?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. KB5000802 is the Demon from Hell of an Update, BEWARE!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5000802 is the Demon from Hell of an Update, BEWARE!: Hello there Y'all, Why in Gods good name would you come out with this one hell of a troublesome update to us all?! - It messes up with all our office printing capabilities with lots of issues involve in printing from your default print app built in Windows itself!...
  6. Nvidia Laptop users using NVSlimmer beware - Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia Laptop users using NVSlimmer beware - Hell Corner: So this fine day I woke up to my laptop's second GPU being recognized as not working 3D Video Card , everything surrounding the case seemed like it went busted , it wouldn't update driver , attempting to remove the driver worked , but re-installing it using official stock...
  7. 15 GBs used by system and reserved?

in Windows 10 Customization
    15 GBs used by system and reserved?: I've done everything other online sources told me to do, i cleaned the disk, but there is no windows update thing for windows 10. Why does it take up so much space...
  8. Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner

Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner: **This is an informative post , you can skip it if you are just here to help** I have been caught up with an issue with few gamepads i had that worked just fine in the past but been giving me hell lately one windows 10 , the issue lead me to realize few facts that i want to...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner

Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner: So it's been a month that i have been having a glitching windows that i have been clueless at first of why it is doing that , been having "Stub" errors on running anything that requires administrative rights from first go then works from the second go , at first received...
  10. Microsoft Store Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store Hell Corner: I have 2 laptops running windows 10 version 1709 that managed to develop issues almost the same time : Laptop 1 : Lately managed to hide a lot of store apps icons and tiles from start menu but I can still run them from store itself also leaving at the bottom of start...