Windows 10: On which partition should I install Windows 10?

Discus and support On which partition should I install Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently faced a serious booting issue. I was unable to reset or restore my PC since there were no restore points available. And I don't wanna lose... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nirwan_pawar, May 4, 2020.

1. On which partition should I install Windows 10?

I recently faced a serious booting issue. I was unable to reset or restore my PC since there were no restore points available. And I don't wanna lose my personal data. So I decided to custom install windows and then recover my files from Windows.old folder. I booted with Windows installation media from USB drive. However, during installation, I found my system has 3 primary partitions among which 1 contains Windows. I tried installing on Windows primary partition, but received error saying 'Windows setup couldn't find a hard drive to store temporary installation files'. Which partition should I select for installing Windows so that I don't lose any of my past data and could successfully recover it from Windows.old?

:)

Nirwan_pawar, May 4, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, May 4, 2020
  3. Carsomyr Win User
    Partition SSD during windows 10 install

I'm assembling a new PC and running a fresh windows 10 install. I'd like to know how to partition the ssd into 2 separate partitions during the windows install (I'm using a bootable usb drive to install Windows).

I want to know if I need to input specific settings for those partitions or if it's all automatic?

I need one partition for Windows on and another for my documents. The ssd has 960gb size.

So I'm guessing it has about 60gb over-provisionning. I could leave out a bit more, but it probably doesn't matter that much

Carsomyr, May 4, 2020
  4. On which partition should I install Windows 10?

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, May 4, 2020
Thema:

On which partition should I install Windows 10?

1. On which partition should I install Windows 10? - Similar Threads - partition should install

2. Which Graphics driver should I install?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Which Graphics driver should I install?: I have a laptop from Dell and it has an Intel processor with integrated Intel graphics. I am confused to which driver should I install? I mean, on Intel's website the latest drivers were released recently, but on Dell's website, for specifically searching for my device, it...
  3. Which partition should be used for windows 10 installation? System, or promary

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which partition should be used for windows 10 installation? System, or promary: Which partition should be selected for windows setup to install windows; system or primary? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/which-partition-should-be-used-for-windows-10/03ceb748-6f19-49cb-a9d0-e2db343a6132
  4. Which Windows 10 image should I install in a new SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which Windows 10 image should I install in a new SSD?: Hi all, after a few years I have to build a friend's pc from scratch and I don't know which one can be the ideal image of Windows 10 to install. The last one available in the Windows official website is ok? any recommendations? Thanks. submitted by /u/inerti4tic [link]...
  5. Which OS version should I install?

Which OS version should I install?: My dad asked me to help fix up his old laptop, a Thinkpad SL400. It has been upgraded to an SSD and 4GB of RAM. However, the cpu is still the same (core 2 duo). He will be using the laptop for browsing, office apps, and zoom calls. What edition of Windows 10 should I...
  6. Which Windows 10 should I get?

Which Windows 10 should I get?: I am a 15 year old student who will be using the laptop for educational purposes as well as some light gaming. The laptop is coming pre installed with Windows 10 home, but should I upgrade to Pro or Enterprise or the Insider program? submitted by /u/Zeus_Kira [link]...
  7. Which Windows 10 version should I use for Clean Install ?

Which Windows 10 version should I use for Clean Install ?: I am fed up with my computer's performance decreasing as new updates are installed. So I plan to do a clean install. Which build version of Windows 10 should I use? submitted by /u/AERegeneratel38 [link] [comments]...
  8. Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?

Should I make a partition for Windows 10? How big should my partition for Windows 10 be?: I'm planning on installing Windows 10 (64 bits) on a 120gb SSD and also I will be using a 500gb HDD for other files. I would like to have other files on my SSD, should I divide my SSD in 2 partitions? If so, how big should the Windows 10 partition be? (Considering updates) Or...
  9. Which Windows 10 should i get?

Which Windows 10 should i get?: So, my University is giving me free windows 10, which version/edition should i get? There are so many options here: A) Assessment and deployment B) Education C) Features on demand D) Hardware lab kit E) Software development F) Driver kit G) 1809, 1909 and 1903 Also, should...
  10. Which should I install first?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Which should I install first?: I just installed W10 and now confused which I installed first. Mother Board Driver or Video Card Driver? *Think*Think*Think 119868