Windows 10: Once per minute explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs

Discus and support Once per minute explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Once per minute when second hand at 12 explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs. The length of time it hangs varies but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by peter941941, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Once per minute explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs

Once per minute when second hand at 12 explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs. The length of time it hangs varies but appears to increase with the length of time the computer is in use.

Windows 10 Home version 2004 OS build 19041.630

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx

:)

peter941941, Nov 29, 2020

2. Cpu usage spikes

Hello ! My PC specs are the following:

- AMD Ryzen 1600x CPU

- Nvidia Gtx 1060 6gb GPU

- 8 GB DDR4 RAM ( 2400 MHz)

- Asus B350 Prime Plus Motherboard

Sometimes I get those weird spikes ( they come and go ) lasting for 1-2 seconds of 100% CPU utilization. In idle state the CPU utilization stays between 5-10% ( up to 20% if im browsing the internet and having programs like Steam, Discord etc running in
    background), but when the spike comes I can see how the pc freezes for 1 second ( typical lag freeze) and how the cpu utilization rizes to 100% CPU then jumps back down to under 20%. I have waited with taskmanager such a spike and discovered that when it happens,
    System NT Kernel & System is the one process that its sudently eating up all the CPU resources.

I tried updating all the drivers and im still having the problem. Here is a Windows Performance Record

link
    where I left the pc running for 45 minutes and I saw atleast 1 spike happening in those 45 minutes ( I kept going away from the computer and coming back).

CatalinIancu, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Audiodg.exe Spikes Cpu Usage

Every 5 minutes or so audiodg.exe spikes my cpu usage to about 50% and any audio im playing cuts out and then comes back a second or 2 later. The video is completely fine and it's not a problem with
    my USB Headset. audiodg.exe stays at low cpu usage when it's not spiking.

Solutions I've tried:

1. turning off audio enhancements
    2. reinstalling lan, and audio drivers
    3. turning off HPET
    4. lowering the sound quality in control panel
    5. DPC Latency checker (no change when spiking)
    None of these solutions work. Please help.

samielamin, Nov 29, 2020
  4. zephyrus Win User

Once per minute explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs

some .exe files hang

In the last 48 hours, some .exe files do not execute. If started from explorer, explorer hangs. No error messages. These files run on another Win 10 machine. Nothing obvious in the event viewer. I note that *.exe file cannot be deleted when the system is in this state. I must reboot to regain access to the .exe file. sfc /scannnow shows no errors.

Any suggestions?

zephyrus, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

Once per minute explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs

1. Once per minute explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and computer hangs - Similar Threads - Once per minute

2. Task Manager CPU utilization per process is wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager CPU utilization per process is wrong: Why does the CPU column value not reflect the true CPU utilization? When my CPU gets pinned at close to 100% for minutes at a time physically hearing fans go fast, and the PSU reporting HIGH wattage draw, trying to figure out the true CPU utilization of the offending...
  3. Task Manager CPU utilization per process is wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Task Manager CPU utilization per process is wrong: Why does the CPU column value not reflect the true CPU utilization? When my CPU gets pinned at close to 100% for minutes at a time physically hearing fans go fast, and the PSU reporting HIGH wattage draw, trying to figure out the true CPU utilization of the offending...
  4. Once per minute laptop hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Once per minute laptop hangs: Once per minute when system clock second counter is at :00 explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and the computer hangs. The length of time it hangs increases with the length of time the computer is in use. Using graphics programs increases the hang time faster....
  5. Once per minute laptop hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Once per minute laptop hangs: Once per minute when system clock second counter is at :00 explorer.exe shows a spike in cpu utilization and the computer hangs. The length of time it hangs increases with the length of time the computer is in use. Using graphics programs increases the hang time faster....
  6. Once per minute laptop hangs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer Crashing Once Per Day

Computer Crashing Once Per Day: I have an issue that whenever I play a video or start a game, my computer will crash, I see a black screen and then it reboots. It happens once per day. Once it crashes, it wont crash for the rest of the day, even if I happen to shut down or restart the computer. I shut...
  8. Windows 10 Explorer CPU Spikes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Explorer CPU Spikes: I've been getting consistent CPU spikes from explorer.exe, often causing lag when I'm gaming. Here is the performance history from Process Explorer. Every 30-60 seconds it spikes to 25% or so and drops back down. https://i.imgur.com/lrEZquK.png I've tried a bunch of things...
  9. Computer Crashing Once Per Day

Computer Crashing Once Per Day: I have an issue that whenever I play a video or start a game, my computer will crash, sometimes with a blue screen error sometimes no. It happens once per day. Once it crashes, it wont crash for the rest of the day, even if I happen to shut down or restart the computer. I...
  10. Computer Crashing Once Per Day

Computer Crashing Once Per Day: I recently upgraded my computer. I ran Windows off the old SSD and everything was working well. I then purchased a Western Digital SN550 Blue 1TB NVMe SSD and installed windows, I have a MSI B450I motherboard Micro ITXand a AMD 3600 processor. Ever since then I have had...