Windows 10: One Computer Can't See The Other but the Second Can See the First

Discus and support One Computer Can't See The Other but the Second Can See the First in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2 Windows 10 desktops on the same router via Ethernet. My main computer (Frankenstein) does not see the second (Dracula) when I go ot Network in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheBigCheese, Oct 21, 2017.

1. One Computer Can't See The Other but the Second Can See the First

I have 2 Windows 10 desktops on the same router via Ethernet. My main computer (Frankenstein) does not see the second (Dracula) when I go ot Network in the file explorer but Dracula does see Frankenstein. If I run \\dracula from frankenstein, I see the shares and can access what I want. This hasn't always been the case but both computers were updated as well as the Netgear router. I checked the neetwork settings and network discovery is on on both computers. ANy suggestions?

:)

TheBigCheese, Oct 21, 2017
  2. WendyT88 Win User

I can see the other computer on the network but cannot connect to it / Windows 10

I feel like I have tried everything.

Both computers are fairly new, I was able to connect to this one before we had to replace the hard drive and completely reinstall everything. I tried remote access using the IP address, made sure remote access was enabled, that did not work either

Both are set to private network, both under 'windows firewall advanced settings' have inbound connections allowed. They both have the same version of McCafee, I disabled the firewall on the other computer just to see. I can get Drew's computer to connect
    to mine, but I cannot connect to his. I can ping his computer, don't know if that helps at all. Microsoft phone support is essentially useless in assisting, can anyone help?

WendyT88, Oct 21, 2017
  3. I can see the other computer on the network but cannot connect to it / Windows 10

Hi Wendy,

To better assist you with your concern, please clarify the following information below:

• Are you trying to do a remote access from a computer to another, or are you trying to connect to the network through another computer?
    • Were you able to do the same set up before?
    • Are you connected to the same router?

Keep us posted.

Loraine Mon, Oct 21, 2017
  4. johnpd Win User

One Computer Can't See The Other but the Second Can See the First

This is a known issue with the original Creators Update (v1703 and it has not been fixed in the latest Fall update (v1709). Using the UNC name (\\name) is the only way to see the shares. From what I have read network browsing is a feature in SMBv1. SMBv1 has been deemed vulnerable (WannaCry ransomware used it) and has been deprecated by Microsoft and everyone is advised to remove it and use SMBv2 or higher. However these do not have the old browsing feature. Another possibility is to see if your router has a "master browsing" feature. If yes, you could establish your router as the master browser, plug a flash drive in it, if it has a USB port, and all computers should then show up.

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 22, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Unless you are in UK, and use the latest BT Infinity Home Hub 6 router advertised as the best ISP router - complete gonads of course, as nobody has managed to get the usb bloody work :-(.

cereberus, Oct 22, 2017
  6. Well, of course Frankenstein cannot see Dracula!
    Dracula strives to maintain his invisibility. He only comes out in the dead of night. *Smile

But seriously ... I wonder whether this is the same or similar problem I was having even before CU.
    See this thread: Problem with Windows shares
    The fix was to add a value to the registry:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableLinkedConnections"=dword:00000001

margrave55, Oct 28, 2017
  7. johnpd Win User
    There was a similar issue after the release of v1511 (November 2015 version). But that was fixed a few months later. You might want to stroll through this thread on Microsoft TechNet regarding the problem and the various solutions tried, most of which did not resolve the problem.

Anyone else notice network issues with the CU

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 28, 2017
  8. One Computer Can't See The Other but the Second Can See the First

That's what is in my registry so not the problem here

TheBigCheese, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

One Computer Can't See The Other but the Second Can See the First

1. One Computer Can't See The Other but the Second Can See the First - Similar Threads - Computer Can't Second

2. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.: My computer will not see my wifi network but will see others around me. Router is seen by phone and streaming devices. Network troubleshooter doesn't help. Connecting via Network cable works but I need wireless connectivity....
  3. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.: My computer will not see my wifi network but will see others around me. Router is seen by phone and streaming devices. Network troubleshooter doesn't help. Connecting via Network cable works but I need wireless connectivity....
  4. Computer cannot see wifi but can see other networks.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. one computer can't see other computer on network

one computer can't see other computer on network: I have 2 computers Computer A & Computer B on Windows 10 that used to see each other on their Networks. I updated some drivers and cleaned the registry using CCCleaner on Computer A and lost all connection between both computers. I have managed to get Computer B seeing itself...
  6. can't see other computer on network

in Windows 10 Customization
    can't see other computer on network: can't see other computer on network https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-see-other-computer-on-network/fc92edc5-902e-4798-a93f-91bcb538d14f
  7. One PC does not see the other in Network, whereas the second PC can see both

One PC does not see the other in Network, whereas the second PC can see both: i have a laptop + desktop both running up to date win10 64 bit 2004 version i have just discovered that my laptop can see itself AND the Desktop under Network. However my Desktop can ONLY sees itself and NOT the laptop. i have turned ON network discovery on both...
  8. Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.

Cannot see MY computer in the network but can see others.: I have windows 10 - updated with the latest software. Network adapter drivers are the latest. I am connected via eithernet or Wifi and have the SAME issue. I enabled the settings to allow network discovery and to be seen on the network for private networks. Both Wifi and...
  9. One computer on my network can't see the other

One computer on my network can't see the other: Hi, I'd love some help please. I have two Windows 10 PCs on the same network. One is on Wifi and the other connects to the wireless router via a power link plug socket. Within the Netwok tab of Windows Explorer, the desktop PC can see the laptop and can open the shared...
  10. One computer can't see all the others on the network

One computer can't see all the others on the network: I have four computers on the same network. Three of them can see all the other computers, but one can not. It only sees one computer. I have tried a few things but can't get Computer A lets call it to see any more than one computer. Any help? 114581