Windows 10: One computer is very late to the party

Discus and support One computer is very late to the party in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a low spec Win 7 pro which I have attempted to upgrade to 10. It calculated that I did not have enough space (small HDD) and deleted some old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Odysseus, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Odysseus Win User

One computer is very late to the party

I have a low spec Win 7 pro which I have attempted to upgrade to 10. It calculated that I did not have enough space (small HDD) and deleted some old installs to get the 20GB it needed (as I understand it). Started the upgrade at 9 am Friday and by 6 or 7 it had reached 99% complete. Now, 24 hours later, it is still at 99%.

I have read that 10 can take its time about upgrading, but 24 hours with no movement at all?

Do I need to do something, other than continue waiting?

:)

Odysseus, Jul 16, 2016
  2. DSCVRY Win User

Late to the whole Win 10 party...

Oh... and i tried the creation tool... and i got it to run but it just... exits itself out after it says "creating win 10 media"

DSCVRY, Jul 16, 2016
  3. DSCVRY Win User
    Late to the whole Win 10 party...

So... I have been away from my main computer for a while and because of that its been on windows 8 all this time. Just today i updated it to win 8.1 so if i wasn't able to be there to reserve before it was available, is there still a chance for me to get
    the upgrade?

DSCVRY, Jul 16, 2016
  4. CmmTch Win User

It can take awhile sometimes, this seems too long, you might try rebooting and see what happens.

CmmTch, Jul 16, 2016
  5. Odysseus Win User
    Steve, thanks. Have restarted and it come up in 7, so I have started the entire process again. Hopefully it will get that last 1% this time.

Odysseus, Jul 16, 2016
  6. CmmTch Win User
    Well darn, I hoped it was just stuck and a reboot would come up in W10 *Think Since you've said you don't have a lot of disk space that could have something to do with it.

When the upgrade is done there's a folder, windows old that has the previous OS in it, it's there to supposedly allow a user to go back to their previous OS. I've heard on this forum that feature doesn't always work as advertised.

Regardless of that, the folder is large, just did my wife's notebook from Win7 Home to W10 Home. The leftover files from the upgrade, windows old, and other temporary install files were near 30G of space on the SSD. That didn't include the space needed by W10 itself.

You might see if you can free up more space by copying anything you want to keep to another storage media, USB, cd, cloud, etc... Then if you just have pretty much the bare bones Win7 OS it might just complete when you're upgrading to W10. Can't say for sure but 20G might be enough for W10 itself, the other leftover items could bring that to 50G of space needed.

CmmTch, Jul 16, 2016
  7. Odysseus Win User
    Hav to go out for apx 3 hours, but here is progress on second try. After about an hour, may 1.5, it is already at 91%. Took 10 hours to get that far before, so fingers are crossed.

Edit: Upon return, the upgrade appears to be complete. I spent a few minutes choosing my setup options, but did not get a chance to kick the tires. Will do so when I get back from travel and if any issues, will post further. But for now appears OK.

Thanks for the help.

Odysseus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. One computer is very late to the party - Similar Threads - computer very late

2. Very slow internet access for one of my computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Very slow internet access for one of my computers: My computer is running Windows 10 Pro but can't seem to get a stable access to the internet. Most times I get a "can't reach the internet" type of response after it times out. Other times it eventually connects.Pings within my network vary from 2ms to several thousand ms,...
  3. Very slow internet access for one of my computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Very slow internet access for one of my computers: My computer is running Windows 10 Pro but can't seem to get a stable access to the internet. Most times I get a "can't reach the internet" type of response after it times out. Other times it eventually connects.Pings within my network vary from 2ms to several thousand ms,...
  4. Very slow internet access for one of my computers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. help laptop shutting down very late

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help laptop shutting down very late: Dump fileEXCEPTION_CODE_STR: 70A2B975 EXCEPTION_STR: WRONG_SYMBOLS PROCESS_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe IMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe MODULE_NAME: nt_wrong_symbols SYMBOL_NAME: nt_wrong_symbols!70A2B975124C000 FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:...
  6. help laptop shutting down very late

in Windows 10 Gaming
    help laptop shutting down very late: Dump fileEXCEPTION_CODE_STR: 70A2B975 EXCEPTION_STR: WRONG_SYMBOLS PROCESS_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe IMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.wrong.symbols.exe MODULE_NAME: nt_wrong_symbols SYMBOL_NAME: nt_wrong_symbols!70A2B975124C000 FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:...
  7. VERY tricky one

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    VERY tricky one: I got help here recently, and I hope the kind people on this site can help me again. I bought a used computer with Windows 10 a couple of months ago. It's an HP 8100 Elite SFF. The HDD is 320 GB. It only had 4 GB RAM, so I added another 8. Well. The computer - and I have...
  8. Win32/MicTrayDebugger - very late detection by Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Win32/MicTrayDebugger - very late detection by Defender: Before reading this please note that I regularly update Windows defender and do full sweeps about every 6 months but it does an automated sweep regularly as well. From Microsoft via Defender (NB Dates back to 2017 and it seems that this issue was known about April 2017):...
  9. Very very slow computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Very very slow computer: My laptop Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series became very very slow in running all applications etc since last 2 weeks. It started after installing few window updates. How to get out of it. Please help....
  10. HDD read starts very late!!

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD read starts very late!!: Hi there As the title says when booting windows from my main SSD drive, the HDD light only starts flickering about 10/15 minutes from when the windows 10 loading screen with the spinning white dots first appreas. I believe this problem first happened after a BSOD and have...