Windows 10: One computer on home LAN keeps losing web access

Discus and support One computer on home LAN keeps losing web access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My home LAN has my desktop Gigabit connected to a Virgin Media "Superhub2 ac". My laptop is connected to a Netgear Ethernet switch which then connects... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Beemer, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Beemer Win User

One computer on home LAN keeps losing web access

My home LAN has my desktop Gigabit connected to a Virgin Media "Superhub2 ac". My laptop is connected to a Netgear Ethernet switch which then connects to the Superhub2 ac.
    On startup, both computers can access web pages and the Superhub settings. Sometime later and only with the desktop computer Chrome or Firefox browsers will not open any web pages, or if they do they might take five minutes or so to open any tabbed pages.
    Both computers use Windows 10 Home 64 bit. Using Speedtest.net I get 219.07Mbps/12.28Mbps.
    I use AVG Internet Protection paid for version but even with this disabled, web pages have the circling arrow and do not open.

An addition point is that my Desktop computer also has Wi-Fi and when the web page problem occurs I can still connect to pages if I use the Wi-Fi.

Can anyone help me solve this?

:)

Beemer, Nov 11, 2016

2. Accessing numeric IP address with E61 Web browser

Has anyone done this successfully? I would like to access web servers on my LAN, and use IP addresses like 192.168.2.2 to get at web sites hosted on my PC via the WIFI connection. I keep getting errors from the Symbian OS saying the site cannot be reached
    when I try this. But PC browsers on the LAN can access the web site using numeric addresses. Am I missing something here?

mdenny---01, Nov 11, 2016
  3. RSS feeds on Nokia E61i

Does anyone have a solution to this bug in the Nokia RSS browser?

The first time I subscribed to a feed was while connected to my home WLAN. Since then, whenever I try and connect to any feed (even newly created ones) it tries to use the home WLAN connection - if I'm not at home I get a "WLAN not found" message and I can't
    access the feed.

Web connection settings are set to "always ask" and this happens even while I am browsing the web via 3G - the feeds browser still tries to connect to my home LAN!

Any suggestions greatfully received.

psroberts---01, Nov 11, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Don't know too much about Virgin media but doesn't the box if it's like most cable / fibre systems these days have 4 Ethernet ports on the router box so my question is why do you need the switch. Can't you simply connect the Ethernet directly from both systems.

Sorry if this sounds crazy - perhaps I haven't understood your configuration.

Check also quality of LAN cables --loose or broken plastic things (the connection bits) often get broken and don't make good connection. Also for LAN - this is an area where skimping on cheap cable is false economy.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 11, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    Welcome to the forum does this happen if you go direct to the router if the switch is only 100 meg it may have problems connecting to gig router

Samuria, Nov 11, 2016
  6. Beemer Win User
    I think you both have misunderstood my configuration.

Desktop Gigabit is wired direct to router. The router does have four Ethernet ports.

1) To Desktop computer
    2) unused
    3) unused
    4) To Netgear 10/100/1000 Ethernet switch which has eight ports used as following:

A) To Powerline network module enabling remote Ethernet and 2.4/5Gb Wi-Fi
    B) To Lenovo Laptop
    C) To Canon 10 Pro-S network printer
    D) To QNAP TS453mini NAS
    E) To network audio speaker
    F) unused
    G) unused
    H) unused

As you can see the Desktop is direct to the router and the laptop which always opens web pages is direct to the network switch. Even disabling my AVG Internet protection does not make the desktop open webpages. Right now I can open the pages in Chrome or Firefox but no doubt sooner or later today the problem will return.

Ian

Beemer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. One computer on home LAN keeps losing web access - Similar Threads - computer home LAN

2. Accessing web server under WSL2 on the LAN

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing web server under WSL2 on the LAN: I have a problem connecting to any service/port under wsl2 on my Windows 11 PC.It's running Windows 11 Pro version 23H2 OS build 22631.3085 and I am running WSL2 with Ubuntu 22.04.03 LTS. On the Windows side if I run a simple python web server via "python -m http.server 8080...
  3. Accessing web server under WSL2 on the LAN

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing web server under WSL2 on the LAN: I have a problem connecting to any service/port under wsl2 on my Windows 11 PC.It's running Windows 11 Pro version 23H2 OS build 22631.3085 and I am running WSL2 with Ubuntu 22.04.03 LTS. On the Windows side if I run a simple python web server via "python -m http.server 8080...
  4. Losing Home Network Access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Losing Home Network Access: I have a new 2 months old HP PC running Win 11 and I have a home network. All of my other computers and Android phone cannot see the HP PC, every so often maybe once every 4 days. The HP PC never loses internet access but just can't be seen on the home network. None of my...
  5. Losing Home Network Access

Losing Home Network Access: I have a new 2 months old HP PC running Win 11 and I have a home network. All of my other computers and Android phone cannot see the HP PC, every so often maybe once every 4 days. The HP PC never loses internet access but just can't be seen on the home network. None of my...
  6. Can't Access one web site

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Access one web site: Today, when I tried to access one website ccos.org that I manage, I started getting this error.This site can’t be reachedccos.org took too long to respond.Try:Checking the connectionChecking the proxy and the firewallRunning Windows Network...
  7. Can't Access one web site

Can't Access one web site: Today, when I tried to access one website ccos.org that I manage, I started getting this error.This site can’t be reachedccos.org took too long to respond.Try:Checking the connectionChecking the proxy and the firewallRunning Windows Network...
  8. Can't Access one web site

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. Wifi keeps losing internet access

Wifi keeps losing internet access: I've had this problem for 3 weeks now, my laptop keeps losing internet access on every wifi. This particularly happens when i wake it from sleep and at interval of 10 to 15 minutes. There is no problem with the wifi itself, it works just fine on my other devices and I've also...
  10. Keep losing web connectivity since 1511 upgrade

Keep losing web connectivity since 1511 upgrade: Since the upgrade to 1511 came through I have started randomly losing my connection to the web. At random moments Chrome stops being able to load or update pages from the web. I then find that Edge cannot load pages from the web either. They can however continue to load pages...