Windows 10: One device much slower than others on home wifi - why?

Discus and support One device much slower than others on home wifi - why? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Before I get to the extensive background on this, I'll start with a simple problem statement. One computer on our home network gets much slower wifi... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by asus2016, May 12, 2020.

1. asus2016 Win User

One device much slower than others on home wifi - why?

Before I get to the extensive background on this, I'll start with a simple problem statement.

One computer on our home network gets much slower wifi performance, than anything else on the network, despite other devices mere feet away getting better performance.

Now for the background.

We had an ancient legacy Spectrum package that was rated at 20 Mbps download, and it seemed to get the job done, even with work-from-home during COVID-19, and even with lots of devices - three Windows 10 computers, as many as two ipads, as many as five cell phones - sharing the signal.

Then I noticed that the download speed on one computer, a Windows 10 all-in-one from late 2016, was atrocious. Something like 1 Mbps.

I blamed this on the legacy package and upgraded to a 100 Mbps plan from Spectrum. The new modem and router (manual at https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.ne...ide15Apr17.pdf) arrived yesterday.

Not wanting to mess with home wifi - all those devices plus a thermostat - I connected the modem, but left my old Netgear router (WGR614v9 | WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support) in place. Yes, this router is capped at 54 Mbps, but my goal is simply to have everyone's internet working fast enough.

Everyone's download speed increased noticeably and measurably - I use speedtest.net - but the "slow" computer was still slow. Maybe 4 Mbps, once, tops, and otherwise 1-2 - once I measured it below 1.

Logically, I would think that the router position would be the reason. Router is on second floor of house, slow computer is on first floor, with one ceiling and some walls to pass through to reach the computer. But if I were to drop a plumb line from the router to the first floor, it's probably no more than six feet horizontally from the router. So call it 10 feet vertically and six horizontally.

So not only is the router "close," but a laptop in the same room, maybe 10 feet from the computer, is getting 20-40 Mbps. If the router were positioned poorly, would this be happening?

So I'd welcome some suggestions and comments about this. Naturally, it would be a fairly simple weekend project to put in the new Sagemcom router and configure the new network and get the devices working with it. But I don't want to make that effort until I can have my arms around the slow performance of the one computer. Things I wonder:
    1. I never thought about rebooting the Netgear router, but much I read online suggests that a router reboot should be the first line of attack - comments? I'm not at home now, but it's possible the router has been running since the last time we had a home power failure, probably 9+ months ago.
    2. Does WiFi Analyzer (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wi...otOne device much slower than others on home wifi - why? :eek:verviewtab) do any good? I assume that to use it, I'd install it on the slow computer, run it - and then what? Does it "tune" the computer, or does it make recommendations that I implement on the router?
    3. I don't know what kind of wireless card the slow computer has, but are there tricks - play with the driver or otherwise - that I can try to optimize it?
    4. How useful is running speedtest.net from a laptop or cell phone from various spots in a house to see the differences in router signal strength?
    5. Any other tricks I can use to try to improve the WiFi performance of the slow computer? And if no, how likely am I to see it improve when I swap in the faster and newer router?

Once again, yes, I know it's stupid to have a 54 Mbps router, 13+ years old, with an internet package that features 100 Mbps speeds. And I'm perfectly willing, when I have time to do all the configuration, to swap that router in. But the at-the-moment issue is the slow performance of the one computer, as I describe.

:)

asus2016, May 12, 2020
  2. sammy Win User

Suggest Portable small WiFi Storage device with Maximum WiFi range

Hi Guys,

Would you please suggest Portable small WiFi Storage device with Maximum WiFi range ?

The smallest I know is this

One device much slower than others on home wifi - why? sandisk-wifi-pendrive-jpg.jpg

Is there anything better than this which has maximum Wifi range? For example can it play movie from 30 meter distance ? From other room ?

Thanks.

sammy, May 12, 2020
  3. Qualcomm Atheros Wifi Lagg.

Hello Luke,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in Windows. We will help you.

• Have you installed any drivers for the WiFi card?
    Try updating the drivers and check if the issue persists.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to update the Wifi drivers.

• Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    • Select the device manager.
    • Right-click your Wireless/Wi-Fi devices.
    • Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.
    • Restart the machine and check if the issue persists.
    Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, May 12, 2020
  4. One device much slower than others on home wifi - why?

wifi device is missing some time

Good day,

Refs above mail, please be inform that i have already took the following steps, to fix the same. but nothing works.

• updated device manager.
    • Release and refresh from command option.
    strange is that, when the issue occurs. following things observed.

• wifi driver is vanish from device manager.
    • wifi laptop on/off switch light become orange means no wifi. but if i press the same button i use to see on desktop flight on and off.
    • when i used command (prompt) i saw there was only Ethernet data came. nothing related to wifi.
    • in network connection wifi option is not available. only Ethernet option.

So please look in the above matter and do the needful.

thanks

brgds

Gyan

Gyan chandraYadav, May 12, 2020
Thema:

One device much slower than others on home wifi - why?

1. One device much slower than others on home wifi - why? - Similar Threads - device much slower

2. WiFi on my computer is significantly slower than it is on other devices.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi on my computer is significantly slower than it is on other devices.: I recently got a new WiFi subscription which is advertised as 1200 Megabits/second. On most devices I get at least 500-600, but on my PC I can't seem to get more than 40-50. This only counts for my download speeds, as my upload speeds are the same if not higher on my PC. I...
  3. WiFi on my computer is significantly slower than it is on other devices.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi on my computer is significantly slower than it is on other devices.: I recently got a new WiFi subscription which is advertised as 1200 Megabits/second. On most devices I get at least 500-600, but on my PC I can't seem to get more than 40-50. This only counts for my download speeds, as my upload speeds are the same if not higher on my PC. I...
  4. Computer Wifi is Slower than Other Devices on Same Network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Wifi is Slower than Other Devices on Same Network: As the title says the Wi-Fi on my computer has been slower than in other devices in my home. Usually I get 125-200 Mbps, but recently I've only been getting around 10-70 Mbps. Other devices in my house have been getting 125-225 Mbps. I have had this problem for a couple of...
  5. Computer Wifi is Slower than Other Devices on Same Network

Computer Wifi is Slower than Other Devices on Same Network: As the title says the Wi-Fi on my computer has been slower than in other devices in my home. Usually I get 125-200 Mbps, but recently I've only been getting around 10-70 Mbps. Other devices in my house have been getting 125-225 Mbps. I have had this problem for a couple of...
  6. One user account slower than others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One user account slower than others: Hi.I have multiple user accounts on my windows and only one is being slow and from time to time unresponsive. The Start menu sometimes doesn't pop up and there are other strange things happening but again, only on one user account, the other accounts are good. Any ideas why...
  7. PC is much slower than other devices on the same network

PC is much slower than other devices on the same network: My house recently got fiber optics, and most devices are now able to download at between 200Mbps and 700Mbps. My PC is only downloading at between 25 and 45Mbps. I'm running on a fully updated Windows 11. I've tried uninstalling my wi-fi driver, reinstalling Windows,...
  8. PC is much slower than other devices on the same network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is much slower than other devices on the same network: My house recently got fiber optics, and most devices are now able to download at between 200Mbps and 700Mbps. My PC is only downloading at between 25 and 45Mbps. I'm running on a fully updated Windows 11. I've tried uninstalling my wi-fi driver, reinstalling Windows,...
  9. ASUS VivoBook wifi has become much slower than other household laptops/devices and don't...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ASUS VivoBook wifi has become much slower than other household laptops/devices and don't...: I bought a ASUS VivoBook for my daughter for xmas it seemed to working fine. She uses it for gaming, Minecraft and Roblox. In the last week though it has become incredibly slow. I checked the wifi speed with an online test fast.com and it was 2.4 mbps and with my work laptop,...
  10. User accounts slower than one other

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    User accounts slower than one other: When I downloaded Microsoft 10, I went back on my account and after a couple of minutes the whole thing worked fine, and I didn't see any problems. But, when another family member went on their account, it was MUCH slower than mine, and they couldn't access things that I...