Windows 10: One drive as a backup vs as an independent drive

Discus and support One drive as a backup vs as an independent drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having difficulty with OneDrive. I want it to function as an independent drive, accessible to all my devices but it wants to function as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by M.Kennedy, Mar 13, 2019.

1. M.Kennedy Win User

One drive as a backup vs as an independent drive

I am having difficulty with OneDrive. I want it to function as an independent drive, accessible to all my devices but it wants to function as a backup my PC files.

You recently suggested that I need to “unlink” it from my PC, so I tried to do that but now, going to "settings/ Account, I still have an option to "unlink" this PC.

Also I still get error messages like this:

"You recently removed 304 files from this device. Do you want to remove these from this computer also?"

No No No, I want them to stay on my computer but NOT be backed up to the cloud.

The only menu options following this question are "remove" or "restore" I assume “remove” would take them off my PC and I would lose them altogether, but “Restore” would replace them on OneDrive so they are still duplicated

What should I do? I can "unlink again, but how to make it remain unlinked?

Also I don't want to lose any of the files that are currently there.

:)

M.Kennedy, Mar 13, 2019
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Mar 13, 2019
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Mar 13, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Drive connection for backups

To isolate the issue, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you tried using only 1 hard drive to backup your files?
    • Have you tried to remove the one that has partition and run the backup?
    • Have you tried updating all the drivers on your PC?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version of Windows are you using?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Mar 13, 2019
Thema:

1. One drive as a backup vs as an independent drive - Similar Threads - drive backup independent

2. one drive vs. file history

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    one drive vs. file history: After downloading the one drive app Cloud, my File History Drive took a dump. I Was not able to back up using my File History Drive due to an error, back up wasn't able to recognize the drive. I had to format the history drive and give it another drive letter. I was given...
  3. moving one drive vs compressing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    moving one drive vs compressing: i am running out of space on my hard drive. can i move the onedrive app to an external hard drive and have it still run or can i compress it to save space? Which would be better in terms of saving space?...
  4. moving one drive vs compressing

moving one drive vs compressing: i am running out of space on my hard drive. can i move the onedrive app to an external hard drive and have it still run or can i compress it to save space? Which would be better in terms of saving space?...
  5. One drive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive backup: Hello!,I want to back up my hard drive to one drive for windows 11 how do I?Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-backup/f6b4f330-7b91-4e66-8f1f-839488cc3644
  6. One drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive backup: Hello!,I want to back up my hard drive to one drive for windows 11 how do I?Thanks, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-backup/f6b4f330-7b91-4e66-8f1f-839488cc3644
  7. One drive backup

8. Auto Backup to One Drive

Auto Backup to One Drive: I cannot stop One Drive from automatically backing up Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I have followed the instructions and unchecked the folders, yet the minute I close that window they are re-checked. If I had a rocket launcher......
  9. Is there automatic backup to One Drive?

Is there automatic backup to One Drive?: Howdy, I have just started using Windows 10. I cannot add my files to One Drive because I understand they would no longer be in a folder on the C drive. My new Win10 computer has an SSD to make file access faster, so I wouldn't want to be downloading them when opening,...
  10. One Drive Backup

One Drive Backup: Have not been able to get this service turned on. Any suggestions welcome. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-backup/e2952cbc-7dc2-4067-b180-1ebe999463fc"