Windows 10: One Drive - How to stop backing up from PC

Discus and support One Drive - How to stop backing up from PC in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One Drive - I have had an issue with One Drive since it was installed on my PC. Windows 10 Professional I already backup my files to an external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JulieNStLouie, Apr 26, 2020.

1. One Drive - How to stop backing up from PC

One Drive - I have had an issue with One Drive since it was installed on my PC. Windows 10 Professional

I already backup my files to an external hard drive and a cloud-based program.

I don't need extra memory taking up space on my PC from OneDrive.

How do I stop this?

Thanks.

:)

JulieNStLouie, Apr 26, 2020
  2. ALN
    ALN Win User

Windows10 File History Stopped Backing Up

Steve. Thanks for the info! Since re-setting the Options in FH seems to have fixed it, I plan to leave well enough alone. But will definitely try your suggestion if it quits working again.

On a more general question: Is there a better Auto Backup application than File History? I don't care about historical versions of any files - only current version in case my hard drive fails. I prefer it to be on my external hard drive (not cloud), and free is always good!

3. File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, Apr 26, 2020
  4. YOU
    You Win User

One Drive - How to stop backing up from PC

Thinking about Going back to Win8.1

If want to disable IE, still can. However, can't uninstall it like were able to in XP/98/whatever.
    Here's how, although I find it useful in case Chrome or Firefox stops working and have to re-download it. *Wink
    1. Search for turn windows features on or off and click it in the search results.
    • One Drive - How to stop backing up from PC [​IMG]
    2. When the app opens, uncheck Internet Explorer 11.

3. Click Yes on the warning dialog.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Restart for the changes to finish.

Thema:

One Drive - How to stop backing up from PC

1. One Drive - How to stop backing up from PC - Similar Threads - Drive stop backing

2. How to stop my Desktop folders and files from automatic back up and syncing to One Drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop my Desktop folders and files from automatic back up and syncing to One Drive.: Onedrive is very confusing with how it interfaces with my Desktop content. I don't want my Desktop folders and files to be automatically backed up and synced to One Drive. Rather I want to use File Explorer to manually move and copy specific content from Desktop to the...
  3. How to stop my Desktop folders and files from automatic back up and syncing to One Drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop my Desktop folders and files from automatic back up and syncing to One Drive.: Onedrive is very confusing with how it interfaces with my Desktop content. I don't want my Desktop folders and files to be automatically backed up and synced to One Drive. Rather I want to use File Explorer to manually move and copy specific content from Desktop to the...
  4. Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.: Since both Gdrive and One Drive have limited storage - I am attempting to clean up both and move some of the storage needs onto my SAN at home. There's plenty of room on those Hard Drives.I can tell you that most items will not copy off One Drive - they all fail. If the files...
  5. Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.

Files that are backed up to One Drive can't be copied back to the PC.: Since both Gdrive and One Drive have limited storage - I am attempting to clean up both and move some of the storage needs onto my SAN at home. There's plenty of room on those Hard Drives.I can tell you that most items will not copy off One Drive - they all fail. If the files...
  6. how do I change back up drive from one drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I change back up drive from one drive?: I don't wish to back up to one drive, I wish to use a portable drive. My screen doesn't seem to offer me a choice any more https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-back-up-drive-from-one-drive/2ad9cb20-d6d6-4cff-8db5-b98f6b633605
  7. how do I change back up drive from one drive?

how do I change back up drive from one drive?: I don't wish to back up to one drive, I wish to use a portable drive. My screen doesn't seem to offer me a choice any more https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-back-up-drive-from-one-drive/2ad9cb20-d6d6-4cff-8db5-b98f6b633605
  8. how do I change back up drive from one drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. One drive back up

in Windows 10 Customization
    One drive back up: My one drive is not taking back up. It is giving me an option to sign in using my Microsoft credentials but it is not going any further when I click on that option. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-back-up/2ecb43ee-af1d-4151-bc74-e821170eb4a1
  10. Backing up from multiple drives in PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up from multiple drives in PC: I have three drives in my PC: two SSD and one hard. OneDrive, of which I am a new user, is backing up only from the first and smallest of these. How do I configure it to make copies of the files on the other two drives?...