Windows 10: One Drive KILLS my internet across the household

Discus and support One Drive KILLS my internet across the household in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear Community, What settings does Microsoft recommend when One Drive for Customers who don't have fast internet services i.e. fibre to Cabinet not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by _ Francis _, Oct 25, 2020.

1. One Drive KILLS my internet across the household

Dear Community,

What settings does Microsoft recommend when One Drive for Customers who don't have fast internet services i.e. fibre to Cabinet not household - without a solution ONE DRIVE is completely compromising my internet connection.

I am the "home technician" for a very busy household and as per many threads that are eitherclosed or locked out for comment I appear to not be alone in saying One Drive iscompletely compromising my internet connection. It is all well and good having 1TB of space with Office 365 Family but if the family cannot upload or sync because the internet gets throttled by one drive then it defeats the object of this process.

Last evening I left my desktop syncing all evening - this morning my computer would not start-up - there was lots happening on the hard drive but it would not present a start-up screen for me.

Upon shutting down switching off the power which I was disappointed to have to do with no other choices I could think of and restarting my desktop pc Acer Aspire XC885 i5 processor - Windows 2004 started the sync process which immediately generated frustration from all household members as the internet was again compromised.

A thread yet another locked thread https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/onedrive-sync-kills-internet-connection/03d589f0-f5c6-41d2-b282-fee0cd97a84f described how to get to One Drive sync settings to restrict the bandwidth which I see as the only alternative or else removing One Drive until the Microsoft community realise that not all households have the 1GBps speeds that most households anywhere near silicone valley have as a standard.

Could you please advise how I prevent One Drive from compromising my internet ? currently 38.2 download - 6.25 upload - yes you guessed it - its the fibre to the cabinet stuff - just that the copper from the cabinet to me is 600 metres away so we apparently lose 5Mpbs per 100 metres, not to mention when we get big downpours the lines get flooded in junction boxes on the way up to our house.

Very keen to know how to continue to use One Drive with a conventional isp using copper phone lines - any suggestions for One Drive recommendations for households that face this challenge? Can you please not close this thread until we can agree a solution.

Clearly ONE DRIVE is not on the list of Categories below - is ONE DRIVE not a common category? In the Windows topics I have assigned this to Network and Internet as once again there appear to be no ONE DRIVE topics to select mute point

:)

_ Francis _, Oct 25, 2020
  2. little cat, Oct 25, 2020
  3. zmlc29 Win User
    network and internet

this hard drive is not connected to my computer, it is connected to my wireless router.

after scanning for hardware changes as you suggested in step one, there is no usb hard drive
    listed on my computer, either in the device manager, or in the network list in file manager which includes both computers connected to the router. this computer is recognizing the router, internet, and other computers connected to the router.
    it is not recognizing the hard drive connected tot he wireless router.

I checked my wireless router to see if the usb hard drive is discoverable and verified that it is.

zmlc29, Oct 25, 2020
  4. One Drive KILLS my internet across the household

Windows 10 Internet Connectivity Issues with various programs

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Try the following steps:

I would suggest you to run Internet Connectivity troubleshooter:

Try the following steps:

• Click "Search" and type "Troubleshooting" without quotes and hit enter.

• Click “View All”

• Select "Internet Explorer connection"

• Click next to run the troubleshooter.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

One Drive KILLS my internet across the household

1. One Drive KILLS my internet across the household - Similar Threads - Drive KILLS internet

2. One Drive Across Two computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive Across Two computers: My wife's laptop and my laptop now show all folders on both computers together. My files and her files are conjoined into one place on file explorer This is not what we want. We want each laptop to have only the files and documents associated with that computer. How do we...
  3. One Drive Across Two computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Across Two computers: My wife's laptop and my laptop now show all folders on both computers together. My files and her files are conjoined into one place on file explorer This is not what we want. We want each laptop to have only the files and documents associated with that computer. How do we...
  4. Slow internet speed on all Windows computers in household

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow internet speed on all Windows computers in household: Hello everyone, All of the devices in my household phones and macbooks have a good internet connection, except for my windows computer, and that of a friend who brought his Win 10 computer today. I had a similar problem last year and after trying numerous solutions from...
  5. Windows update kills my internet connection...

Windows update kills my internet connection...: On my wife's Surface, every night Windows runs the latest update and loses the internet connection. Every morning I uninstall the update and the internet connection is back... Can you fix this problem?...
  6. Fonts all across the internet

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fonts all across the internet: I just set up a new computer today (4-10-19) & most of the fonts across most of the sites (even here), my bookmarks, etc. the fonts are almost 'see-through'. I don't know any other way of describing it. I'm having some trouble trying to navigate through Windows 10. It's not...
  7. How can I Kill one drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I Kill one drive: Hi there Is there any way I can 100% disable one drive -- apart from the fact I don't want to use it it interferes with my print screen key . Cheers jimbo 128548
  8. CLOSE_WAIT Issue, Kills Internet

CLOSE_WAIT Issue, Kills Internet: So recently every few days I have been losing some functionality of the internet, mainly browser functions (all three major) and a few other internet related things. I can ping and lookup and etc. Well I narrowed it down by the Event Log Error and found out its due to the...
  9. Creators Update killed my internet connection ?

Creators Update killed my internet connection ?: After the Windows 10 32 bit automatic Fall Creators Update install....this PC running Win 10 32 bit lost all internet service/connections - trouble shooter said windows pci wifi card was not operationg. Tried everything I could think of...even ordered a new pci network...
  10. Computer is Killing Internet

Computer is Killing Internet: Internet speed has been a battle for over a month. Thought it was AT&T, but found that if I disconnect my main computer, speeds return to normal. Same results if this PC is connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. I can shut this PC down, boot up a laptop, and the Internet is fine....