Windows 10: One-drive syncing error message for file that no longer exists/ Ghost folder in docs

Discus and support One-drive syncing error message for file that no longer exists/ Ghost folder in docs in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been having problems syncing files in One Drive. And trying to fix that created ghost folders that can be seen but don't exist. When I got to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ElleMo L, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ElleMo L Win User

One-drive syncing error message for file that no longer exists/ Ghost folder in docs

I have been having problems syncing files in One Drive. And trying to fix that created ghost folders that can be seen but don't exist.

When I got to settings --> backup --> manage backup for OneDrive, I get the following error message :

2004-SIT'N SPIN" in Documents has a name not allowed in One Drive. To continue, rename or remove this file.

This error message will not go away. I have done all of the following (with various reboots in between stepsOne-drive syncing error message for file that no longer exists/ Ghost folder in docs :)

1. There were two folders and two files with the same name, an mp4, an and a PREL (Adobe Premiere Elements Project File). I renamed all files "Sit-n-Spin".
    2. I renamed them again with different names using letters only.
    3. I deleted both files and the folders.
    4. I searched One Drive via the Internet Explorer to make sure that the files no longer existed anywhere. Found nothing.
    5. I searched my entire hard drive and found 2 folders on the hard drive, still with the Sit'n Spin name. I tried deleting them again but get an "item not found" message even though they are both showing up in
      Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\16.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Captured Audio
      and ... 16.0\Adobe Premiere Elements Captured Video
    6. I moved everything out of the ..Adobe Premiere Elements Captured Video folder (except Sit'N Spin) then deleted the Captured Video folder
      ... Adobe Premiere Elements Captured Audio had no files so I deleted that too
    7. Could still see the folders so I tried to delete again. Got a "file not found" error message
    8. Moved everything but the adobe stuff out of Documents into a new folder. Tried again to delete.
    9. Stopped documents from syncing.

I still get the "name not allowed message" and the folders are still ghost folders that "can't be found" but are visible.

Any thoughts about what I can do that doesn't require a reinstall of Windows?

:)

ElleMo L, Jun 10, 2019

2. If I try to delete the Ghost folder I get the message "Could not find this file This is no longer located in C:\Users\(My name)\Downloads. Verify the item's location and try again."

Original title: Ghost Folder(s) in Download Directory

Over the last couple of weeks, after doing some downloads, I have moved the contents of the folder created in "Download" to another directory. In several cases it has left behind a "Ghost Folder". If I try to delete the folder I get the message "Could not
    find this file. This is no longer located in C:\Users\(My name)\Downloads. Verify the item's location and try again." Restarts, restores, etc do not clear the problem.

If I use cmd with admin permissions to bring up the directory, the file is listed as being there but using "rmdir" to delete it also dumps an error stating the folder is not in that location. I preformed an error check on my C drive and no errors were found.

I know have 3 of these folders and it is getting annoying!

Mike_Sharpe, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Dual error message not fixed

i only get one message. i enabled log to file, created folder for it, then to test the error message, i deleted the folder, to prompt the error message, of which i got one. Ver 1.20.0

One-drive syncing error message for file that no longer exists/ Ghost folder in docs 1bdcFLs.jpg

jboydgolfer, Jun 10, 2019
  4. Rose Cal Win User

One-drive syncing error message for file that no longer exists/ Ghost folder in docs

one drive sync

Hi Dan,

Corrupted files may be the possible cause reason why files/folders were not syncing. To efficiently assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Could you tell us if you've made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages when you tried to sync a file/folder?
    • Which version of Office are you using?

In the meantime, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    to troubleshoot your OneDrive files/folders to sync properly.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

1. One-drive syncing error message for file that no longer exists/ Ghost folder in docs - Similar Threads - drive syncing error

2. One Drive folder sync question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive folder sync question: Hi there,I am working on a Windows desktop with One Drive installed. I use it to move stuff between my desktop and my laptop which I use infrequently. However, the two devices have different folder architecture. So my question:On my desktop, I have a virtual drive D:, on...
  3. One Drive folder sync question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive folder sync question: Hi there,I am working on a Windows desktop with One Drive installed. I use it to move stuff between my desktop and my laptop which I use infrequently. However, the two devices have different folder architecture. So my question:On my desktop, I have a virtual drive D:, on...
  4. One Drive folder sync question

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. One-drive ghost folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One-drive ghost folder: I've had this issue with a ghost folder in my Onedrive. If I open onedrive on any of my computers that folder is not visible and cannot be accessed, but if I open the Onedrive app on my Android mobile I can see two duplicate folders: The proper one with all the files inside...
  6. One drive ghost folder

One drive ghost folder: I have this one onedrive folder from an old institutional account which i removed from my computer and it doesn't want to go away. I even uninstalled one drive but the folder is still in the explorer and when i click on it it just gives me an error saying it's not available....
  7. SYNCING FILES WITH ONE DRIVE

SYNCING FILES WITH ONE DRIVE: Do I have to sync my files with OneDrive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/syncing-files-with-one-drive/61baacef-f9cf-4ea5-b2b3-28ad451c9871"
  8. sync files with one drive

sync files with one drive: hello .i am starting to use one drive.But i don't know if and how i can sync files from my pc to online like back up and sync app from google.With this app i add specific folders to ot sync , so when i download a file to my...
  9. Sync a folder not in Documents to One Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Sync a folder not in Documents to One Drive: I have a folder not in my user/documents folder that I would like to sync to One Drive. So far, I've not been able to figure out how to do that. Actually the folder is not on the C: drive but on D:. I really need some help. Thank you. 89308
  10. One Drive Sync Folders.

in Windows 10 Support
    One Drive Sync Folders.: I noticed in quick access that one drive has folders in documents & pictures folder, but not in video and music folders. In one drive folder I do have pictures and videos in those folders. So why are they not synced in quick access. Henry [img] 72640

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file no longer exists in onedrive