Windows 10: One Drive Won't Release Outlook.pst So It Will Sync

Discus and support One Drive Won't Release Outlook.pst So It Will Sync in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I love One Drive with one exception. Normally Outlook won't release it files until you close out of Outlook program. Recently I noticed on my desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Dcluggy, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Dcluggy Win User

One Drive Won't Release Outlook.pst So It Will Sync

I love One Drive with one exception. Normally Outlook won't release it files until you close out of Outlook program. Recently I noticed on my desktop PC, OneDrive will not sync a file called Outlook.pst located in my One Drive documents folder, even thought the Outlook program has been closed. It contains most of my file folders used with Outlook. One Drive keeps giving me the message that it can't sync Outlook.pst because it is still in use even thought the Outlook program has been closed. If I wait about 4 hours then it will finally sync anyway. The only way I can get it to sync (instead of waiting four hours) is to restart my PC and then it will sync up the file within a minute or two.

What this means is if I go someplace and try to access Outlook program using my Laptop, the Laptop Outlook will only see the old version of Outlook.pst file and then when it tries to sync up its newer Outlook.pst at some point it sees a conflict and creates a new Outlook.pst file using the name of my Laptop in the file name.

Is this a bug or something not well thought out?

Don

:)

Dcluggy, Mar 10, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Mar 10, 2019
  3. marcbkk Win User
    Outlook PST File Problem

Thanks again everyone. I just did an export on the troubled PST file to create a new PST file from it and the file size went from 3.9GB down to 850MB. Then I installed the new PST file into Outlook that I just created and removed the old PST file from Outlook and all seems to be working fine so far. I think I am good now, but I will give it some time just to make sure there are no problems before I delete the old file. Thanks again.

marcbkk, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Vant Win User

Backup Outlook 2016 via pst file (?)

Hi;
    Would like to sync (Win 7) outlook 2010 and (Win 10) outlook 2016. Specifically for email and calendars.
    I believe the easiest way would be a sync'd or shared pst file. Comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thema:

1. One Drive Won't Release Outlook.pst So It Will Sync - Similar Threads - Drive Won't Release

2. outlook pst file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    outlook pst file: hi the file working fine on my pc, and was on my tablet till few hours ago, i tried put the pst file on my usb to save space as kept getting one drive was nearly full, but outlook would not open when i try to go back keep getting this message popping up, gone as it says into...
  3. outlook pst file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    outlook pst file: hi the file working fine on my pc, and was on my tablet till few hours ago, i tried put the pst file on my usb to save space as kept getting one drive was nearly full, but outlook would not open when i try to go back keep getting this message popping up, gone as it says into...
  4. One Drive Sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive Sync: My One Drive was set to Files On-Demand ticked. I soon discovered when off the network that the files were not available... So I unticked Files On Demand. Then all the files in the one driver folder had a X on them. They could not be opened. I'm now waiting hours for 5Gb...
  5. One Drive Continuously running and syncing files from outlook

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One Drive Continuously running and syncing files from outlook: OneDrive keeps syncing large outlook files. 35 gigs every time I reboot the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-continuously-running-and-syncing-files/1c23c7ab-3469-4559-bcfd-9fbbc476b729
  6. one drive sync

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    one drive sync: I have repeatedly signed in to my M/S account to get One drive to sync my files without success. My sign in is successful but it does not accomplish syncing one drive. pls advise. Jim...
  7. One Drive Sync

One Drive Sync: I have copied my files form my hard drive to One drive and it says that they are synced , but in actual fact when I check them they are not synced at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-drive-sync/295d9ff5-4af4-4581-a200-2cf0b184575c
  8. One Drive Not Syncing

One Drive Not Syncing: One drive will no longer s sign in or sync instead it goes into a "Paused" state and I have to manually try to update and sync. one drive. What can I do fix one drive so that it will go back to automatically signing in?...
  9. Outlook pst files

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook pst files: This is weird I am trying to copy the pst from my main computer it is roughly 4GB in size to a USB stick to import it to my new laptop. I have 43GB of empty space on my stick yet I get the error message that the pst file is to big for my stick. Now that is weird can anyone...
  10. Outlook pst file reader?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook pst file reader?: I'm trying to access .pst files from Outlook from a previous laptop. I currently don't have Outlook on my laptop (W10). Can anyone recommend a good (and safe) pst file reader. Freeware would be great. Thanks! 44347

Users found this page by searching for:

1. one drive wont sync because of outlook

2. How to release the outlook pst file so it can sync with onedrive

3. outlook.pst on onedrive

4. onedrive cant sync outllok files .pst