Windows 10: One file missing from external drive on Windows 10

Discus and support One file missing from external drive on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently bought a brand new PC with Windows 10. I have an external drive that I use to backup files to. My backup method is a straight file copy i.e.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by agbulit, May 13, 2016.

1. agbulit Win User

One file missing from external drive on Windows 10

I recently bought a brand new PC with Windows 10. I have an external drive that I use to backup files to. My backup method is a straight file copy i.e. no backup software is used.

When I plug my hard drive into the Windows 10 machine, there is one folder missing when I view the drive contents. If I plug the drive into my old machine running Windows 7, the folder is there and accessible. If it makes any difference, it is the My Documents folder from my Windows 7 user profile.

I have run chkdisk on the drive, no errors. I have reset all file attributes for all files on the external drive and also changed the Windows explorer settings to show hidden / system files. I'm still unable to see this folder. There are approximately 100 folders on this drive, and this appears to be the only file that does not show up on the Windows 10 machine. Any thoughts?

:)

agbulit, May 13, 2016
  2. Cypob Win User

Files lost

I have several HDDs in my PC as well as an SSD and an external drive. I had Windows 10 on SSD drive. For some testing purposes I had to install Windows 7, which I did removing the SSD and making one of the HDD bootable. I did my job, during which I did
    quite many changes on my drives and partitions. When after a while I returned SSD with Windows 10 and booted from it... I had so weird and serious issues. A lot of files in various locations are missing. Windows show folder structure as it was at my lat boot
    to Windows 10 and there are no new files. Even backup files from external drive are gone. I get a message from the system that there is a problem with the file system which will be fixed after reboot, which restored some files, but a lot of them are still
    missing. How it even possible?! Why Windows 10 is messing with the drives!? I cannot even rely on my backup on the external drive now!?

Cypob, May 13, 2016
  3. uj4e Win User
    finding differences in folders/files on 2 extermal drives

I have windows 10

I have 2 different external drives each has a my pictures folder

Over the years I have copied the files from one drive to the other as a backup

I noticed the other day the folders do not have the same number of sub folders/file in properties

Is there command/screen etc. that will show me the folders/files that are missing?

Thanks

Steve

4. dalchina New Member

Hello, you would find it easier to copy the content rather than the entire folder, I think.

Your problem would likely be permission related - no read access.

You could do the equivalent of the following for Win 10.. but it's a long-winded technical approach.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-ed340059d151

dalchina, May 13, 2016
  5. JLOB Win User
    Are you SURE the folder is missing? Win 10 has a tendency to treat the old "My Documents" folder as just "Documents".

6. dalchina New Member
    Good point.. old habits die hard...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. One file missing from external drive on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - file missing external

2. Missing photos and files in one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing photos and files in one drive: Hi there,I have realised that the photos I saved to my one drive a few years ago are no longer there. I have followed the advice and checked the vault and recycle bin and sync problems and the files are still not there. Please can someone help?Many thanks...
  3. Missing photos and files in one drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing photos and files in one drive: Hi there,I have realised that the photos I saved to my one drive a few years ago are no longer there. I have followed the advice and checked the vault and recycle bin and sync problems and the files are still not there. Please can someone help?Many thanks...
  4. Missing photos and files in one drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  6. Moving files from one drive to an external drive

Moving files from one drive to an external drive: I'd like instructions as how to move files from one drive to an external hard drive? I have several files and need to get them out of one drive because some of my files won't open in some of my software if they're in the cloud....
  7. Missing files on external drive

Missing files on external drive: Some part of my game back ups are missing. The missing parts classifield as system files. Is there any way to recover them without third party softwares or formatting. I can access like 250 gb of files but rest of all missing. And my external drive is tagged local disk,...
  8. Missing files on external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing files on external drive: Some part of my game back ups are missing. The missing parts classifield as system files. Is there any way to recover them without third party softwares or formatting. I can access like 250 gb of files but rest of all missing. And my external drive is tagged local disk,...
  9. Missing files on external drive

10. How to recover missing file from one drive

How to recover missing file from one drive: Hi, i have saved few files a year 10-11 months ago however it went missing. is there any way to recover it? it was not show in recycle bin either, although i did not delete it....