Windows 10: One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

Discus and support One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dan Antseliovich, Jun 7, 2022.

1. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to automatically repair. Every time I tried to boot up the computer it would bluescreen three times then go to the automatic repair, which would fail. I attempted a recovery, which did not succeed due to an unknown error. I attempted to Reset the PC, this also failed, it wasn’t able to even begin to reset it. I tried using the command

:)

Dan Antseliovich, Jun 7, 2022

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 7, 2022
  3. little cat, Jun 7, 2022
  4. GKing Win User

One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Jun 7, 2022
Thema:

One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

1. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Boots

2. One Drive/External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  3. One Drive/External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  4. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another: I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up...
  5. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  6. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  7. One Drive & Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    One Drive & Hard Drive: I need to back up my one drive every evening in case we loose the internet. I tried to just copy and paste the files from One Drive to my documents, but it moves all of my folders out of One Drive and puts them into My Documents How do I go about doing this so the files...
  8. Substituting a hard drive from one system to the other of mine

in Cortana
    Substituting a hard drive from one system to the other of mine: i have a Lenovo G410 and old model which currently have mother board problem and was a windows 8 version upgraded to free windows 10 home single language online by Microsoft. but i just bought a fairly used Lenovo X220 and swap the its hard drive with that of the old one but...
  9. Other hard drive not 'recognosed'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Other hard drive not 'recognosed': I recently reinstalled windows, back into the same ssd it was on before, however now, all of my installed apps, games etc are not fully recognised from my other hard drive. For example when I type the name of a game in the start menu, it will not show up. However I can find...
  10. Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer: I have a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5294 laptop computer. It is running Windows 10. I had the drive encrypted using Jetico's BestCrypt full disk encryption. Several weeks ago, I was using Windows, put the computer to sleep, and when I came back an hour later and woke it up, I...