Windows 10: One key not registering on keyboard, not even on virtual keyboard.

Discus and support One key not registering on keyboard, not even on virtual keyboard. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The key for the equal sign isn't working on my keyboard, and just now I found out it won't work with the windows accesibility tools virtual keyboard.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Otavio Sakay, Oct 1, 2016.

1. One key not registering on keyboard, not even on virtual keyboard.

The key for the equal sign isn't working on my keyboard, and just now I found out it won't work with the windows accesibility tools virtual keyboard. Strangely, the + sign works, even though it's the same key with shift pressed down. The keyboard works correctly on other 3 PCs that I've tested. These were running WInxp, 8.1 and the other one was also on updated Win 10. Does this make any sense? Do I have some sort of malware interrupting my key input?

:)

Otavio Sakay, Oct 1, 2016
  2. SolVit Win User

Windows Login: Sporadic issue - keyboard not working

UPDATE

Tried the virtual keyboard again. This time I clicked a key on the real keyboard, while the virtual keyboard was on the screen, by mistake first and then the virtual keyboard worked !

Odd behaviour. Wish I knew which real key I pressed!!

Still, not exactly a solution. This issue shouldn't happen.

SolVit, Oct 1, 2016
  3. error 0x803F7000 on tablet...

Error 0x803F7000 download apps... I've read everything I can find, but I can't act on many of the suggestions because I've got a little tablet that hasn't got a keyboard, so fixes that utilize the windows key (not on a virtual keyboard) are out, as is the
    Command prompt (virtual keyboard not even usable), and ensuring/resetting the clock hasn't worked...

So, how do I get out of this pickle?

MichaelWilliams7734, Oct 1, 2016
  4. PiKo Win User

One key not registering on keyboard, not even on virtual keyboard.

Rebooting with fast reboot option disabled does not resolve the issue?

PiKo, Oct 1, 2016
  5. The Region and language settings can sometimes mess up keyboard layouts. Control Panel > Language. For example, if I set mine to English (Canada) I get some French symbols when I use the shift key instead of what is printed on the keyboard. And on my Raspberry Pi, in Raspbain, it defaults to English UK, which transposes some of the keyboard keys. Really had me scratching my head until I figured out what was going on. This may not be your issue but it can't hurt to have a look see.

alphanumeric, Oct 1, 2016
  6. Rebooting does help sometimes, but then after a few minutes or half an hour the key will stop registering again. Always the same key. I have tried changing region languages to english and back to portuguese, with no luck. Is there any language in which the equals sign key is somewhere else?

Otavio Sakay, Oct 1, 2016
  7. It's more about matching the keyboard layout to the language in use. If your keyboard is an English US keyboard, and your language is set to English US, the = key should work as intended. For me I think it was the ~ and " keys that were swapped. The physical location on and English UK keyboard is different.

So you get the + even if you press the shift key? The only time that happens for me is if I press the + key on the number pad part of my keyboard? It shouldn't matter, but is the Num Lock off?

alphanumeric, Oct 1, 2016
  8. PiKo Win User

The equal sign will also be produced by the key combination alt 61.
    If it does so in your case, you may assign this key combination to the = key, using procedures to be found with an internet search.

PiKo, Oct 1, 2016
  9. Oh, that is sure usefull! It did register. Thanks a bunch man. I can live with doing the alt 61 I guess. I'll try to look up ways to assign the key combination.

Otavio Sakay, Oct 2, 2016
  10. batlhilz Win User
    i have really funny issue with @ -sign (ALT GR-2 in FIN-latin keyboard layout) - it comes on after 1-3seconds lag.
    this doesnt happen on any else keyboard layout (US or SWE) or with any other key but just this combination.

batlhilz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. One key not registering on keyboard, not even on virtual keyboard. - Similar Threads - key registering keyboard

2. Keyboard registering two keys when I press one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard registering two keys when I press one: when I press "I" it also presses "p" The same thing happens when press pHolding Fn key and pressing I or P only types I I have cleaned my keyboard and this isn't resolvedThe affected keys are: K I P K , \ ] [ = - ' and F6...
  3. Keyboard registering two keys when I press one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard registering two keys when I press one: when I press "I" it also presses "p" The same thing happens when press pHolding Fn key and pressing I or P only types I I have cleaned my keyboard and this isn't resolvedThe affected keys are: K I P K , \ ] [ = - ' and F6...
  4. Keyboard registering two keys when I press one

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Some keys on keyboard no registering properly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some keys on keyboard no registering properly: For some odd reason various key inputs are working half the time, or requires holding down he button. For example, ø, i only works if I hold down they key and then I get 4 in a row. On screen keyboard acts the same way. Ironically it works in a virtual os left ctrl is also...
  6. Some keys on keyboard no registering properly

Some keys on keyboard no registering properly: For some odd reason various key inputs are working half the time, or requires holding down he button. For example, ø, i only works if I hold down they key and then I get 4 in a row. On screen keyboard acts the same way. Ironically it works in a virtual os left ctrl is also...
  7. Some keys on keyboard no registering properly

8. Microsoft All In One Keyboard is not registering swipes

Microsoft All In One Keyboard is not registering swipes: When swiping into the touchpad area from the edge of the touchpad, the swipe gets dropped and the mouse pointer does not move. When starting the swipe from within the touchpad area, everything is fine. The issue happens when swiping from the left, right, and top, however...
  9. Virtual Keyboard

Virtual Keyboard: No big deal, but I was just wondering why the virtual keyboard only appears about 1 time out of 10 when one logs on. It seems that when the keyboard was added as part of an update it worked every time. Is there a way to set it to appear every time, or is this just another Win...
  10. Virtual key stuck down even if keyboard is unplugged

in Windows 10 Support
    Virtual key stuck down even if keyboard is unplugged: Hi, I am periodically experiencing an issue where the o button starts typing itself continuously until I either restart or lock the PC. It's not a keyboard issue, since it happens whether the keyboard is plugged in or not, even with a different keyboard. Is there a way...