Windows 10: One Little Mishap Trashed 4yr Working W10 install Plus 2nd storage HD!

Discus and support One Little Mishap Trashed 4yr Working W10 install Plus 2nd storage HD! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As some of you still here may know I am not a new member for sure but been away for various other including some Personal reasons not to be part of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Night Hawk, Jul 29, 2019.

1. One Little Mishap Trashed 4yr Working W10 install Plus 2nd storage HD!

As some of you still here may know I am not a new member for sure but been away for various other including some Personal reasons not to be part of this discussion! But upon a recent development seeing this thread turn into some type of Valueable Reference over time would be one end goal! *Biggrin

So just what is the Problem that needs to see a Working Solution? I will start off by simply asking a few questions some may find they might also find themselves in need of seeing answers for.
    1) Are You presently dual booting OSs? meaning it could be Windows 10 x64 more likely these days over one of the x86 or 32bit editions along with a Previous version of Windows? Or perhaps dual booting two different types of OSs? Most likely if you have multiple hard drives or even multiple OS Primary Parts on one drive these days??? Not So Likely!

After some lengthy period of time you suddenly find yourself with the urge to boot into? Perhaps your Old Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 drive if you have more then one OS dedicated drive and …? You Did Not hit any key allowing the automatic Disk Check Run! So? Suddenly Windows 10 Professional x64 here finds itself in a mess while a second Server Class not much larger capacity storage and backup drive is suddenly seen as "RAW"!*Shock*Shock*Shock May as well HAVE A STRONG ONE since no matter what you try and how many times you BING search engine around a bit nothing tried from all of the search results works! *Sad WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Having said all that this thread can and will be open for all types of recommendations when researched since drives can become "RAW" format as the term goes for a large variety of reasons.WIndows suddenly cannon access that drive whether OS or Storage/Backup with all those files on it and you need a working solution!

Please note the efforts made so far for the host/boot Windows 10 Professional x64 drive dual booted with the and still continued 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate on second 1tb OS drive while those originally replaced a pair of 500gb OS drives in order to see a nice little pair of 2TB Server Class drives entered into the equation in order to expand capacities due to not only Video projects that eat up drive space and system image backup as well as copies of files and folders manually backed up from both OS drives... But also storing various downloads of apps not found on optical media if freewares if not preserving things like Game Saves even from VERY OLD 9X to XP, Vista, 7 even lasting now thru 8, 8.1, and still those old 32bit games running on the Latest 64bit Windows 10.

PROBLEM TO BE SOLVED: with all that being a rather lengthy but factual example of what happened a few weeks before this thread could be started the booting into the Windows 7 drive after a few years of W10 Only left much to be desired like lacking a FULL SYSTEM IMAGE of the host W10 Drive for a Start!
    (BACK UP YOUR DRIVES! BACK UP YOUR DRIVES! Golden Mantra For Following OS Wisdom!)

Presently the freeware's home site shows Version 7.1 available for download while 7.2 was downloaded only a matter of hours before this thread was to be started! Test Disk's Options menu indicated a Write Test Disk mbr to replace whatever corrupted mbr was or could be found at least long enough for any actual data recovery.

Any Questions or Potential Solutions Anyone? This thread will be updated as results positive or not so good come about. Any Actual Working Solution will be made a Recommendation for other situations to be looked into as well as finding something that can work here!
    Despite all that manual file by file as well as each download was downloaded multiple times to multiple locations duplicates same things on multiple drives. No Issue even one drive Gets Wiped or Fails. But what if you decide one day to boot into an older version of Windows you have not booted into for some time and you fail to catch Disk Check's run if not hitting any key in time? The Disk Check tool itself can be disabled by way of the System Registry at any time however but best suited for a guide on How To Do That some other time! The problem here is that not only did W7's run disrupt the host Windows 10 installation that had been running reliably for YEARS 24/7 all the time but also made the second storage/backup hard drive Unaccessible By Windows so that no matter what you pay out for some Backup Recovery software you still run in while booted into Windows!

Alternate Solutions Please Post Here at This Time:

One BING result showed a Freeware that runs inside of a DOS type Shell outside of the active Windows version you would be booted into can rewrite the MBR(Master Boot Record) to the "TEST DISK" mbr for the free disk diagnostic tool found at:

:)

Night Hawk, Jul 29, 2019

2. W10 with "Storage Spaces" and external HD

After the latest update, when I plug in an external HD it gets renamed to something like "Test to check for updating to W10"and I get a report of storage problems. The HD has my system backups on it but they are not available, there is a random selection
    of my files showing in explorer.

Google shows others have similar problems. The common factors seem to be: W10 creators, Storage Spaces and an external HD.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JohnRussell200, Jul 29, 2019
  3. musso Win User
    Will Geforce 8800GTX work on the Asus A8R-MVP

Will Geforce 8800GTX work on the Asus A8R-MVP mobo? I have just installed it and used the little jumper board on the 2nd PCI-E slot on the mobo as suggested on the Asus manual. Nothing boots up...green light flashes...orange HD light flashes...but screen is dead... Any suggestions?

musso, Jul 29, 2019
  4. rimit1954 Win User

One Little Mishap Trashed 4yr Working W10 install Plus 2nd storage HD!

gmail trash will not empty

following win10 gmail instructions fully to delete gmail trash contents - not working. suggestions welcome. STORAGE onwin10 SUCKSS

***Windows version moved to Apps on Windows 10 by the moderator.***

rimit1954, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

One Little Mishap Trashed 4yr Working W10 install Plus 2nd storage HD!

1. One Little Mishap Trashed 4yr Working W10 install Plus 2nd storage HD! - Similar Threads - Little Mishap Trashed

2. W10 installation on new HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 installation on new HD: I have an Acer Aspire S3 w hich has a failed hdd. I use it for travels and the odd use of two laptops at home. I wish to replace it with a new ssd drive. I do not have a image of W10 to utilize for reinstalling the the OS., nor can I axcess the the failed harddrive. How do...
  3. Installed 2nd internal HD SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Installed 2nd internal HD SSD: I've installed a 2nd HD in my Acer ATC-710, It is not recognized by Windows 10. Help please. Doug Reed *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-2nd-internal-hd-ssd/00451f62-2c60-45b8-90c5-0a5564e3a3c1
  4. New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.: System is w10 on HP Envy, 32gb ram, 2.5tb internal HD, 250gb external. The new installation of w10 did not find a 1tb HD. There are 2 installed. Found only one. How is this solved? dlw 143386
  5. New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.

in Windows 10 Support
    New install w10. Didn't find a 1tb HD.: The new installation of w10 did not find a 1tb HD. There are 2 installed. Found only one. How is this solved? dlw 143386
  6. Storage external HD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage external HD: I downloaded the window10 installation disk in my Hard Disk-external, thereafter I could not see my other files on the drive and the display size of the disk is showing 40GB, the Original size of the disk is 1TB. How could I reover my HD? I have delated downloaded window 10...
  7. Trash not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trash not working: Whenever I delete something, it goes to the trash but doesn't appear in the icon. I can't right click the trash icon and empty trash bin, I have to double click and open and delete it "manually" Why is my trash broken? Help fix?...
  8. Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Should I consider a 2nd Win10 copy for a work HD?: Allow me to explain... Soon I'll start a job at home that requires me to use Windows 10 Home. At the moment I have a pc that came with Win10 already. I have 3 accounts, for each of us in the family. I do have backups of the whole HD of course. But to keep things even...
  9. Adding An External HD And Need A Little Help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding An External HD And Need A Little Help: Good morning. I've been away from PCs for nearly four years. My last system was an XP Pro setup. Now I've got a new machine with Win 10 and it is all so very new to an old guy and I need a little guidance here. Over the next day or two I have a Western Digital Elements...
  10. Installing W10 in a HD partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing W10 in a HD partition: Hello, I have a Windows 8.1 system (64 bit) and I "qualified" for the Windows 10 free upgrade, which I could already do. [img] (My system is in French, sorry about that).) What I'd like to do is to have both systems in the same computer, I know how to shrink my HD in...