Windows 10: One of HDDs missing/disappeared after awaking computer from sleep mode

Discus and support One of HDDs missing/disappeared after awaking computer from sleep mode in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I awake my computer from sleep mode, one of the data drives is missing (it is gone from This PC (formerly My Computer)). If I go into Device... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by THX1138, Oct 26, 2016.

1. THX1138 Win User

One of HDDs missing/disappeared after awaking computer from sleep mode

When I awake my computer from sleep mode, one of the data drives is missing (it is gone from This PC (formerly My Computer)). If I go into Device Manager and select Action > Scan for hardware changes then the drive is found and added back to This PC.

The controller is configured to RAID instead of AHCI in the BIOS (because I have a RAID 0 attached). The affected drive is not in a RAID array.

I've seen a lot of descriptions of this problem in my Google search (for different versions of Windows) but none of the solutions apply.

The affected drive is highlighted below:

Mainboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
    CPU: Intel i7 6700 (6th gen)
    RAM: Corsair 2x8GB DDR4-3000
    Graphics: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
    Sys Drive: Samsung Evo 750 SSD, 250 GB
    Data Drives: OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, 60 GB; WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0; WDC WD2003FZEX-00Z4SA0; WDC WD2002FAEX-00MJRA0;
    PSU: XFX TS 750W (P1-750S-NLB9)
    Bluetooth: Parani UD100 Bluetooth USB Adapter
    Logitech G500 mouse, K120 keyboard.

:)

THX1138, Oct 26, 2016
  2. sunye04 Win User

Language bar missing in Windows 10

Hey, I am currently using windows 10, there is one problem keeps occurring. The language bar will go missing or disappeared after my laptop awakes from its sleep mode. Meaning, if i close the lid, and then reopened it, the language bar will disappear.
    Then I only can restart the computer to have the language bar back. This is so annoying.

sunye04, Oct 26, 2016
  3. gaoq08thu Win User
    Win 10 pro loses the second HDD after waking from sleeping

Thx for your reply. But it didn't work. When my computer wakes from the sleeping mode, the second hdd disappears again.

gaoq08thu, Oct 26, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Try disabling Link Power Management in the Bios and in your Power Plan Advanced Options , This used to happen to me on a Plextor SSD and disabling LPM stopped this happening.

Not letting your HDDs spin down in your power plan may help too , ie set to never for testing.

Kbird, Oct 29, 2016
  5. THX1138 Win User
    Thanks but unfortunately this did not resolve the problem I'm experiencing. There is no LPM setting in the BIOS but there is a PCI-Express Wake setting which is disabled. There is an ErP Ready setting which I've tried on disabled, S4+S5 and S5. I've set the Windows power settings per your suggestion.

Also the PC sometimes takes a long time to shutdown/restart and always takes a long time to awake from sleep (it would be quicker to cold boot).

THX1138, Oct 30, 2016
  6. Kbird Win User
    PCIE Wake is WAKE on LAN (WOL) for waking the Computer via the NIC with another computer or you Smartphone (w/wifi) , you may need to disable fast startup in win10 if you want to use WOL , I did for my Intel NIC on a X99 Board.

On my Asus X99 Board the LinkState settings are in the PCH Storage section of the Bios not the APM section , but you may have a different issue anyway.

ErP is the European Power Regulation Settings I don't use them (disabled) as the also stop WOL etc.

I have a Raid0 Array too but the HDDs are seen as SSDs in the Defrag/Optimise Utility if I run any Driver in the 13.x,14.x, or 15.x series so I am using 12.9.4.1000 at the moment. More on that here if you have the issue too?

Intel RST installation incorrectly sets hard drive media type Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    or
    http://www.win-raid.com/t2257f23-Rai...on-Win-AU.html

There is also a known issue for some that the HDD's don't sleep properly on certain Drivers eg the 14 series.....

New RST 14.0.0.1143 doesn't allow HDDs to spin down (bug?)

KB

Kbird, Oct 30, 2016
  7. THX1138 Win User
    I side-stepped my problem by moving the affected drive to a PCI-E SATA expansion card.

Indeed I also have the RAID 0 recognised as SSD issue. I posted in the forum you linked to. I gather that the implications are that I will have to defragment the drive manually by command line?

THX1138, Oct 31, 2016
  8. Kbird Win User

Not if you use Driver version 12.9.4.1000 found on WinRaid , so far any driver under 13.x works for me but nothing above. (13,14 or 15 series all have same issue)

uninstall the RST software in CP before downgrading Drivers if you decide to try the 11.5> or 12.0> series Drivers

do not try and use 11.2 , good driver but it may cause a boot issue as the Drivers changed after 11.5.....

KB

Kbird, Nov 1, 2016
  9. JawsPC Win User
    Having recently experienced this problem and tried for weeks to fix it I think I have one possible solution.

My experience

- Windows 10 home, Ryzen 1700, Gigabyte Gaming 3 mobo, with Samsung 650 500GB SSD as main (boot) drive and an old 2.5” 1TB laptop hard drive (internal) as second storage drive. All worked perfectly well. I had Samsung Magician installed and it was set to the maximum reliability setting rather than high performance.
    - Swapped 2.5” to a 3.5” Western Digital Blue (a LOT faster than the 2.5”) and I start to experience wake up from sleep issues. WD blue disappears but only after a long (many hours) sleep. Short sleeps were fine.
    - When I swapped to the WD drive I also did the following (1) moved desktop and docs to D drive (2) purchased Acronis True Image and used it to back up files and OS to D. I do not think these were the problem despite other users reporting that they might be.
    At first I thought my cabling was loose but that never fixed things. Tried several of the OS suggestions in the forums. No luck. Noticed in some users mentioned both Samsung Magician and Acronis.

Eventually I got the latest update to Acronis and also removed Samsung Magician from start up. Within Magic I changed to high performance setting as well. This altered something on virtual memory and “hibernation” mode – basically reverting them to standard Windows settings.

Since then my system has worked fine. My suspicion is that this is down to either the switch from reliability to high performance OR removing Magician from running in the background on startup.

This still allows my system to sleep completely and all the WD drive stops spinning – power consumption drops to under 1W.

JawsPC, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. One of HDDs missing/disappeared after awaking computer from sleep mode - Similar Threads - HDDs missing disappeared

2. Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep: Some or All icons in the taskbar disappear after waking PC from Sleep, or when the screen of the laptop was put down and was turned back up.This happens in more than 1 PC I own. And this happens in both laptop and desktop, and with OEM and Retail version of Windows 11.How to...
  3. Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep: Some or All icons in the taskbar disappear after waking PC from Sleep, or when the screen of the laptop was put down and was turned back up.This happens in more than 1 PC I own. And this happens in both laptop and desktop, and with OEM and Retail version of Windows 11.How to...
  4. Sleep mode disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode disappeared: Hi, why did my sleep mode option disappeared after I disabled my internal graphics card? I tried to check in the control panel if the sleep mode option is disabled but the option is not even there. Tried to include the screenshot here but I could not upload it. How do I...
  5. Why are HDDs disappearing after waking my PC up from sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are HDDs disappearing after waking my PC up from sleep?: Whenever I set my pc to sleep, the HDD would disappear upon waking. All drivers, windows, and bios were updated. When browsing forms looking for a solutions, people were having the same problem from 2009! Unfortunately, nothing seemed to worked until I set Allow Hybrid Sleep...
  6. Why are HDDs disappearing after waking my PC up from sleep?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why are HDDs disappearing after waking my PC up from sleep?: Whenever I set my pc to sleep, the HDD would disappear upon waking. All drivers, windows, and bios were updated. When browsing forms looking for a solutions, people were having the same problem from 2009! Unfortunately, nothing seemed to worked until I set Allow Hybrid Sleep...
  7. awake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    awake from sleep: I am all set thank goodness. I used command prompt to find what was waking my desktop.. Why ae there so many places where one can check or uncheck awaking the desktop from sleep. There are places in device manager, and places in power management along with others. When the pc...
  8. Windows 10 Pro 2OH2 won't awake from sleep mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Pro 2OH2 won't awake from sleep mode: With Windows 10 1803 I could awake computer by moving the mouse, but since updating to Windows 10 version 2OH2, only the processor switches on, but Windows doesn't boot up and I have to switch off the computer to get windows to start How can I get computer to function as...
  9. sleep mode Windows 10 awakes automatially

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep mode Windows 10 awakes automatially: when I switch my computer to sleep using the commands on the keyboard it does enter the sleep mode and shuts down. However, by its own, it wakes up again. I know that it is not the mouse doing this because I have checked the device manager. I have Windows 10. At an...
  10. Logitech mouse freezes up after computer is awake from sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Logitech mouse freezes up after computer is awake from sleep mode.: I know this is a duplicate of another thread, but I couldn't get anyone to reply back to me in the other thread. But I have a Logitech mouse on my second computer which is an Acer Aspire XC-603G Desktop PC. When I wiggle the mouse to wake it up from sleep, sometimes the...