Windows 10: One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution

Discus and support One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've got a laptop running Windows 10, and use the laptop monitor plus two external monitors, one via HDMI and another via VGA port. This has worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GeoffMaddock, Dec 21, 2020.

1. One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution

I've got a laptop running Windows 10, and use the laptop monitor plus two external monitors, one via HDMI and another via VGA port.

This has worked fine for years without any hardware changes.

Recently when I come out of sleep, one of the monitors is displaying the wrong resolution.

If I check the display settings, there is just one Display resolution set - 1920 x 1080, and Extend desktop on monitors 1 and 2 is set the externals

Monitor 1 looks normal with 1920 x 1080 resolution HDMI

Monitor 2 looks like it's much lower resolution VGA

If I change the resolution set, basically nothing changes on Monitor 1 or 2 - just the resolution on my laptop monitor changes.

I replugged both ends of the VGA cable and nothing changes

The graphics card is a generic internal "IntelR HD Graphics 620"

If I restart the computer, the resolution goes back to normal - all monitors on 1920 x 1080.

Any suggestions to prevent this happening?

:)

GeoffMaddock, Dec 21, 2020

2. Display Resolution for two monitor have different settings

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The display resolution depends on the monitors that you have plugged into your computer. The display resolution modes will vary with each display based on the video card device, monitor size, video driver, and monitor driver.
    By default, Windows chooses the best display settings for your PC based on your monitor, so it is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor.

To have better clarity on the issue, let us know the model numbers of your monitors, so that we can provide you the exact display resolution which is recommended to your monitors.

Meanwhile, try the below methods and see if this helps.

Changing the Display Resolution from Settings.

Step 1: Right Click on an empty space on the desktop and click on
    Display Settings.

Step 2: In the
    Display Settings window, scroll down and click on 'Advanced display settings' option under
    Multiple displays.

Step 3: Then, click on
    Display adapter properties for Display 1, Display 2, or
    Display 3; whichever monitor you want to change the resolution for.

Step 4: Once the Display properties pops-up, click on 'List All Modes' option.

Step 5: Select a display mode that you want for the selected display and click on
    OK.

Step 6: Then, click on
    Apply and OK for the changes to take effect.

If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver by opening
    Device Manager, right-click on the monitor drivers, and select
    Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the drivers.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Dec 21, 2020
  3. RWOne Win User
    Monitor is detected but display resolution is not correct

One of two possibilities:

1. Driver is still not correct, as you don't have the listed resolution to go to recommended for that monitor. If it is using a driver win 10 installed and not the manufacturer, then you need to try the manufacturer driver, list the display driver from device manager and we can go from there.

2. Card in PC (Is it a card, or integrated mainboard graphics?) doesn't support that resolution, hence driver not listing it, etc.

Other possibility - what does the system show for the monitor listed in device manager?

RWOne, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Arjay Dom Win User

One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution

monitor display size

Hi Kathy,

This issue with monitor display can be caused by screen resolution problems.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try changing the screen resolution by following the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop screen.
    • Select Display settings.
    • Click Display.
    • Under Resolution, click on the drop-down menu and change the screen resolution.

Note: You can select the most recommended resolution (1920 x 1080) if applicable and see if the issue will persist.

Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Arjay Dom, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution

1. One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution - Similar Threads - monitors displays wrong

2. Correct monitor resolution is not displayed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Correct monitor resolution is not displayed: Hey,I bought a 34" monitor that supports 3440*1440 and on device settings the max resolution is 1920*1080I am using a laptop with intel HUD and Nvidia mx330.the monitor is connected by default to the intel HUD No option to changeWhen I enter the Nvidia control panel most of...
  3. Correct monitor resolution is not displayed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Correct monitor resolution is not displayed: Hey,I bought a 34" monitor that supports 3440*1440 and on device settings the max resolution is 1920*1080I am using a laptop with intel HUD and Nvidia mx330.the monitor is connected by default to the intel HUD No option to changeWhen I enter the Nvidia control panel most of...
  4. 3 Monitors display resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3 Monitors display resolution: I am running two large high resolution monitors off may laptop as the primary computer but I can't get both large monitors to use their high resolution settings. One large monitor will accept the high resolution but the other large monitor will only allow for the 1440 x 576...
  5. Monitor Resolution Not Displaying Correctly

Monitor Resolution Not Displaying Correctly: On my old laptop, the connection to my monitor worked perfectly, but the resolution I choose is either too big to fit the screen or way too zoomed in with my new laptop. When zoomed in it doesn't let me change the scale of the text apps, etc. Hoping for a fix because I really...
  6. Recommended display resolution is wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recommended display resolution is wrong: When I open Display settings and go to Scale and Layout the recommended resolution is 1024 x 768. I got this problem with my old pc and also with my new one so I don't think its a hardware issue, unless its the monitor, anything I can do to fix this? This issue stops me from...
  7. Display resolution on monitor changing

Display resolution on monitor changing: When I use "Extend" when after pressing Win + P, my monitor resolution is fine. But then when I close the laptop lid or make it "Second screen only" the resolution becomes worse. Not really sure how it started or when but I am sure it wasn't always like this. I will attach a...
  8. Wrong Display Resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong Display Resolution: TLDR: Windows 10 won't show proper display resolution. 1920x1080 resolution shows up and shows applied, but is not actually applied. Google Search not helping. OG: Windows 10 will not display 1080p resolution and I am at a loss for what to do. I have uninstalled and...
  9. Displaying in Wrong Resolution

Displaying in Wrong Resolution: I have a monitor which displays 1440x900 but when I go into settings to try to change the resolution, it only gives me a few options, non of which are the correct resolution. This results in an incorrect aspect ratio and stretching. I've tried uninstalling the display adapter...
  10. Second monitor, wrong resolution

in Windows 10 Support
    Second monitor, wrong resolution: for a while, I've been using a Dell E248WFPb (native 1920x1200) connected via VGA on my Dell Optiplex 7040 Micro successfully at it's native resolution. But I just moved the computer to another room, and now that same monitor is a second monitor to a Samsung 2343 (native...