Windows 10: One pc multiple user accounts

Discus and support One pc multiple user accounts in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Sorry it's so long, I wanted to explain everything, I use both Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive as backup for all of my computers. but recently... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by wt.pm, Nov 23, 2019.

1. wt.pm Win User

One pc multiple user accounts

Sorry it's so long, I wanted to explain everything,

I use both Google Drive and Microsoft OneDrive as backup for all of my computers. but recently my son asked to borrow my laptop, I said yes, he went in my office and just closed the lid, he did not see the earbuds laying on the keyboard. Broke the screen in two places which caused a power surge, frying the hdd, taking the motherboard with it (or the other way around), and I lost some important information, because even though it was supposed to be synced with both online services, it had either not been synced, or had been deleted from both, or something. Whatever the case it wasn't there.

So what I want to do is sync both mine and my wife's laptops with a third machine that has been gathering dust in a closet for a while. On the third machine, I have partitioned the HDD into three parts, the OS/main account (150 GB) the rest of the terabyte divided into two halves. Labeled for each person using it. I will then set each person's default save points as their partition. I hope that part made sense.

Now what I need/want to do is set up a user account (1 each) based on each persons corresponding user account on their laptop. However I can not find any specific instructions on how to set up a secondary (and third) primary user account on a machine already running a primary account, so that I can enable sync on those two computers. I tried some instructions I found just over a week ago, however those were for starting up a brand new machine without a user account, setting it to sign in using an existing user account. When I tried those instructions, things went sideways real quick. I don't remember now exactly what happened, as I said it was over a week ago and I have been Googling ever since trying to find the correct instructions and it's all running together and getting confusing. But I do remember it signed me out of the existing user account on the computer, and I was barely able to get signed back in. Using a different machine, I had to go into my Hotmail account on the main user account (of the spare machine) and change the password. Then also inside the Hotmail account, I had to delete the secondary account on the spare machine, before I could sign back in. I hope I have explained this clearly up to this point, sometimes I make things confusing when their not.

So if you understand what I'm trying to do, and you know how to do it, or if you know a better way of doing it, I would appreciate if you could give me some directions. I should also add that without talking to me, my son who is partly responsible for the cracked screen sort of, I screwed up too, went and bought me a used laptop, all he could afford. Which I think is wonderful, except it wasn't all his fault, (I'm going to say right now with this next part, I am not complaining, just stating that he doesn't know about computers and isn't interested in them so he got ripped off, I'm not complaining on his actions he bought it from someone that he works with who knows someone that had one for sale, not a reputable store again it was all he could afford) but, I usually only buy 17" screens and he bought me a 15" screen (he was told it was the same size), plus it is so under powered that it is barely usable (2 gig ram I know you can add some, but then it's like a 1.0 ghz single core processor). Not to mention a 500 GB HDD, and I had close to 750 GB on the one that fried. Which is another reason I want to use the third machine (1 TB HDD, currently less than 100 GB on it) so I can just move files around between them as I need them, let me get a little more use out of the "new" one.) However I will use it for as long as I can because I will not hurt his feelings. I've got the best kids anyone could hope for.

If you've read this far thank you. Thanks for any help you can give.

:)

wt.pm, Nov 23, 2019
  2. Vesao Win User

Remove account

I suggest you backup your personalized files first before removing the account.
    To delete an account, follow these steps:
    1. Press WIN + X keys and click Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter. Replace test with the name of your sister's account. Code:
      Code:
      net user test /del

Vesao, Nov 23, 2019
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Nov 23, 2019
  4. One pc multiple user accounts

User accounts

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• How have you upgraded to Windows 10?
    • Are you able to find the other users in accounts option?
    To test the issue I suggest you to create a new user account and restart the computer and check whether you can find other new user account.

I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    • Select add someone else on this PC.
    • Enter a user name and hit next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 23, 2019
Thema:

One pc multiple user accounts

1. One pc multiple user accounts - Similar Threads - multiple user accounts

2. One account to multiple

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One account to multiple: I have 10 Computers and i need to connect to one hotmail account. Need help regrading on this iisue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-account-to-multiple/5e1c574a-fad3-4e15-a771-57ef233bd042
  3. One account to multiple

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    One account to multiple: I have 10 Computers and i need to connect to one hotmail account. Need help regrading on this iisue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/one-account-to-multiple/5e1c574a-fad3-4e15-a771-57ef233bd042
  4. One account to multiple

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Multiple users on one PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple users on one PC: When multiple users use the same PC, why can't User B see the files inside User A's folders in This PC 3D Objects, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos but can see the files on Local Disk? Also, how can I prevent another user from seeing what files I have...
  6. Multiple users on one PC simultaneously

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple users on one PC simultaneously: I have a powerful PC, my partner has slow chromebook. Is it possible to make two instances of windows and both use my PC at the same time. i.e me sitting at my desk playing on my pc directly and her playing on her chromebook through remote desktop or something similar. 5/10...
  7. Multiple User Accounts ???

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Multiple User Accounts ???: While trying to fix Windows 10 spotlight I noticed several user accounts in my settings. I am the only one who uses this laptop, why do I see FIVE 5 user. Tried to delete and says it states I cannot delete because is is receiving inheriting properties from another account....
  8. Multiple PC\Licenses on one Microsoft Account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple PC\Licenses on one Microsoft Account?: I have a Microsoft Account with my Desktop Windows 10 Pro license attached to it and I'm getting a laptop with W10 Home, can I use the same Microsoft Account for both PC's\Licenses without losing one of them or do i need\should I use two different accounts? submitted by...
  9. multiple user accounts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    multiple user accounts: I am having issues with adding a second user account to my pc. Every time I log back in to my account administrator after the other user has been logged in, I have multiple issues. They seem to be caused by changes to settings, though the other user does not change other...
  10. multiple users one lic

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    multiple users one lic: My wife has a mac and was using my account. now it doesn't recognize her ? How do I install her as a user? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-users-one-lic/15150b73-5429-4e8d-8d56-ccb71b9c489f"