Windows 10: One thing i don't like about win 10

Discus and support One thing i don't like about win 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; exactly, that's also why an online authentication is the ultra stupid, why have it if you can bypass it locally ? So how is this different from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alaslipknot, Oct 26, 2015.

1. One thing i don't like about win 10

So how is this different from logging on with a local account? You still have to enter a password to log on. Microsoft is doing you a favor. If you had to authenticate to log on how are you going to connect to the hot spot in the coffee shop. If you can't log on you can't change your WIFI settings. If you can't change your WIFI settings you can't connect. If you can't connect you can't log on. The Microsoft Account logon is more than just authentication. Especially if you use the sync function across devices like I do.

alphanumeric, Oct 28, 2015
  2. Kari Win User

Not true. Since build 10565 Cortana works also with a local account.

See above.

This does not deserve a comment or reply but lets just say this: How on earth can you mix emails and login data?

Especially on a shared computer the use of an MS Account and OneDrive is really not only practical and recommendable but also the safest possible way to store your personal data. All users saving everything on local hard disk, that is about the dumbest you could do! A total security nightmare!

An admin user, be it your dad or mom or brother or whatever, an admin user can always access all data stored locally. You teenager, if you think your parents won't see you locally stored emails and pics and stuff, I am sorry but you are wrong.

But: If you had an MS Account and stored your stuff online, not syncing it to local computer, they had no way to know what you have there. Plus: you could access it from any device.

A bit absurd when you think of it: this tinfoil hat brigade won't use a safe method, OneDrive and an MS Account, but instead tell us all to use the unsafest of all data storing methods, store everything locally on a shared computer.

Exactly.

You log in. Signing in to Windows does not need Internet connection, whatever sign-in method or account type you use.

You log in. Signing in to Windows does not need Internet connection, whatever sign-in method or account type you use.

Why would you? Internet is not required for you to sign in.

That's tinfoil hat brigade talking.

The sign-in method is not the reason for the MS Account. Sign-in is about the only thing in Windows 10 where it's totally irrelevant which type of account you have.

I could not live without an MS Account and OneDrive, the best example of the usefulness of an MS Account. All data, I mean absolutely everything I have ever created, saved or edited on any of my computers will be automatically saved on OneDrive. I write a memo with Word on my laptop, save it, go to the city and Starbucks, open the same document on my Windows Phone while sipping my espresso, fly to Luxembourg and using my tablet print that memo on the hotel's printer. Using three devices, without a need to think on which device my document is. Any device, I click Open and I can see all my documents.

I don't have to remember to take that particular laptop or this tablet with me when I travel or simply go to city for coffee because absolutely everything I have, absolutely everything I save and modify and download is always accessible from any networked device everywhere in the world.

An added bonus: as often happens, one evening my PC suddenly dies. Of old age, of virus, whatever the reason. I am totally, completely, profoundly absolutely OK with it because I only need to get to any other networked Windows, Android, Linux, iOS or MacOS device and I can access everything I have. I never lose a single file, a single contact, a single email, a single photo, a single favorite website.

Esteemed tinfoil hat brigade, I feel sorry for you.

3. What does this possibly have to do with this thread? Post in the wrong thread maybe?

4. Gary Win User

One thing i don't like about win 10

This is true, I have an ISP account but I chose to use the Outlook.com account for my sign in to my MSA account. I only use my ISP account for very personal and private communications. With all of this talk about the lack of Privacy in Windows 10, whether it be true or not, there was no way I would use my ISP email account. I suppose I could have used my Yahoo account if I wanted to.

5. I use mine as my Microsoft ID so it's also tied to my Microsoft MVP, MSDN login, etc. I haven't been spammed and only receive e-mails I actually opted into from Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't have my e-mail account password so they can't access it. Hasn't been an issue so far. No complaints from me.

6. Gary Win User
    That is good to hear but since I have been using mu Outlook.com account and all is working well now since I got an SSD, I will leave well enough alone. The old say "If it ain't broke Don't fix it" works for me.

7. pchelp Win User
    Can't & won't are two different things. If it's stored on a Microsoft server then I'm betting that they *can* access it-but I'm also willing to bet that they won't unless ordered to do so (probably by law enforcement).

pchelp, Oct 29, 2015
  8. One thing i don't like about win 10

What ? how ? it doesn't work for me, and i just installed Windows10 three days ago.

What does Cloud storage advantage have to do with login to my computer with MS account ?
    You can do EVERYTHING YOU SAID ABOVE by just signing into those SPECIFIC SERVICES and you'll have all your data saved and synced though all the devices that you sign in with, If signing in into MS account since the start will help you gain time because most of network-sync apps are MS then of course you can do it and be happy about it, but am not, and what i don't like is that, just when i signed into Cortana, my local account changed to MS account, when i signed into the store too it automatically changes into the MS account, if i go back and change it to the local account, then i get signed off from Cortana and the store app which make both of them unusable

alaslipknot, Oct 29, 2015
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

For as long as people have the choice I fail to see what all the fuss is about.
    If you don't like something, don't use it. Period.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 29, 2015
  10. As I've already said, its my ISP provided e-mail, its on their server not Microsoft's. Microsoft doesn't have physical access to it. If law enforcement want it, it doesn't matter where its stored, they will just subpoena who ever has it.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

One thing i don't like about win 10

1. One thing i don't like about win 10 - Similar Threads - thing don't

2. Mouse randomly catches and drags things where I don't want them to go

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse randomly catches and drags things where I don't want them to go: I have a brand new HP computer Pavilion with Windows 11. I have already sent the computer back for repairs to the touchpad because my mouse keeps picking up files, words, windows you name it and draggig them and dropping them wherever it wants to. I keep losing files and...
  3. Mouse randomly catches and drags things where I don't want them to go

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse randomly catches and drags things where I don't want them to go: I have a brand new HP computer Pavilion with Windows 11. I have already sent the computer back for repairs to the touchpad because my mouse keeps picking up files, words, windows you name it and draggig them and dropping them wherever it wants to. I keep losing files and...
  4. Please Explain This Google Account Security Check Thing I Don't Understand

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please Explain This Google Account Security Check Thing I Don't Understand: someone please say you know what this means - i have only one PC and it is not synced with my phone, therefore I have only one device.In my google account security settings it shows this....what to they mean by I "haven't used Google on Windows in 70 days"? I ONLY use windows...
  5. Please Explain This Google Account Security Check Thing I Don't Understand

Please Explain This Google Account Security Check Thing I Don't Understand: someone please say you know what this means - i have only one PC and it is not synced with my phone, therefore I have only one device.In my google account security settings it shows this....what to they mean by I "haven't used Google on Windows in 70 days"? I ONLY use windows...
  6. Look I'm southern hick do don't judge the way I word things or spell, just shut up and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Look I'm southern hick do don't judge the way I word things or spell, just shut up and...: https://www.bing.com/search?q=William+Poole+Admin+%C2%B7+1h+%C2%B7+My+Drive%2Froot-bin-hustlepack68%2Fnode-v9.9.1-nightly201803256591d9f761-win-x64%2Fnode-v9.9.1-nightly201803256591d9f761-win-x64%2Fnode_modules%2Fnpm%2Fnode_modules%2Funique-filename%2Fcoverage%2Fsort-arrow-spr...
  7. Look I'm southern hick do don't judge the way I word things or spell, just shut up and...

Look I'm southern hick do don't judge the way I word things or spell, just shut up and...: https://www.bing.com/search?q=William+Poole+Admin+%C2%B7+1h+%C2%B7+My+Drive%2Froot-bin-hustlepack68%2Fnode-v9.9.1-nightly201803256591d9f761-win-x64%2Fnode-v9.9.1-nightly201803256591d9f761-win-x64%2Fnode_modules%2Fnpm%2Fnode_modules%2Funique-filename%2Fcoverage%2Fsort-arrow-spr...
  8. after Windows 11 update some things don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after Windows 11 update some things don't work: Did a Windows 11 update, and now can't use Mail or Settings, I have them pinned to taskbar, they show as open on taskbar but won't open up.If I go into start panel and click on them in there, they don't work either. How do I fix this?...
  9. after Windows 11 update some things don't work

after Windows 11 update some things don't work: Did a Windows 11 update, and now can't use Mail or Settings, I have them pinned to taskbar, they show as open on taskbar but won't open up.If I go into start panel and click on them in there, they don't work either. How do I fix this?...
  10. Disk 100%, the resource monitor shows a lot of things that I don't understand

Disk 100%, the resource monitor shows a lot of things that I don't understand: My laptop lags at random points, but also lags for a long time on startup and many of the high disk usage programs. Yesterday I ran an antivirus scan with malwarebytes and I wonder if this could have caused it, however I had these lag issues before that and did nothing but...