Windows 10: One thing I miss is the start menu

Discus and support One thing I miss is the start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Overall I love Windows 10 however there is one feature that I really miss from the Windows 7 start menu. In the Windows 7 start menu if you had an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MSRadell, Sep 17, 2015.

1. MSRadell Win User

One thing I miss is the start menu

Overall I love Windows 10 however there is one feature that I really miss from the Windows 7 start menu. In the Windows 7 start menu if you had an application visible in the start menu when you hovered over it you would see a list of the recently used documents for that application on the right. You could even pin a couple of items to the top of that list. I found this list very handy to open a document I was working on recently and I kept my page templates tend to the top of that list. I haven't found a way to do this in the Windows 10 start menu. Is there a way to do it that I just him found or is this one of the features that's missing?

:)

MSRadell, Sep 17, 2015

2. Sync Settings - How to Sync the Start Menu Across Multiple Computers

I think you missed a key part of the question.

It was how to get the Start Menu to sync. Even if you turn on all the sync options, the Start Menu isn't one of the things that sync.

A_User_Here, Sep 17, 2015
  3. E for Excel, Sep 17, 2015
  4. edwar Win User

Try Classic Shell. Not sure it will give you everything you are asking about.

edwar, Sep 17, 2015
  5. MSRadell Win User
    I've tried Classic Shell but really don't think it has any advantages over the menu system that comes with Windows 10.

MSRadell, Sep 17, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    If you are talking about a MRU (Most recently Used) list then right click on the icon on the Taskbar.

One thing I miss is the start menu [​IMG]

Ztruker, Sep 17, 2015
  7. MSRadell Win User
    That's more what I was looking for a little you still have to have the application already open to see that list (or least have it pin to the Taskbar). But I was referring to from Windows 7 was the basically the same thing but you can have just in the start menu and when you hovered over it you got a list of recent places like places documents. Action apart I miss the most is where you could pin certain items to that list so I pinned the templates I used most often in word.

Thanks for sharing!

MSRadell, Sep 17, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

If you're running the latest Build you should have Start Menu Jump Lists, mind you, you have to click on them.

Edwin, Sep 17, 2015
  9. MSRadell Win User
    I didn't realize that, thanks for the information. However there is no way to permanently put programs in that area, it always displays the most recently used. In Windows 7 you could permanently pin program there, such as Word and Excel. Also that I know of, there's still no way to permanently lock certain files (templates) to the top of that list.

MSRadell, Sep 17, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member

Edwin, Sep 17, 2015
  11. MSRadell Win User
    Now if I could just figure out how to get Word, Wordpad and Excel permanently pinned to the top of that list! Instead of having the list change however Microsoft wants it to. Also it would be very nice of you had this option for items you had pinned to the start menu!

MSRadell, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. One thing I miss is the start menu - Similar Threads - thing miss start

2. start menu missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu missing: hello there i have problem a long time *how to fix this* all in windows 10 is been success taskbar search box have 1 is start bottom is so missing before i search cmd and type sfc /scannow finish after that...
  3. start menu missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu missing: hello there i have problem a long time *how to fix this* all in windows 10 is been success taskbar search box have 1 is start bottom is so missing before i search cmd and type sfc /scannow finish after that...
  4. start menu missing

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Odd thing on windows start menu

Odd thing on windows start menu: I was going to shut down my computer when I noticed these two things at the top of the start menu. Create a cookbook and get the latest forecast. They are not there after I have restarted the computer. Are these normal or a sign of a virus?...
  6. Odd thing on windows start menu

Odd thing on windows start menu: I was going to shut down my computer when I noticed these two things at the top of the start menu. Create a cookbook and get the latest forecast. They are not there after I have restarted the computer. Are these normal or a sign of a virus?...
  7. Missing start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing start menu: I did the Windows 10 update, the only way the start menu will open is to right click, and classic menu opens. It like my apps are no longer on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-start-menu/d92a6a67-299a-4ce9-8b6f-c446fff2a957
  8. Missing start menu

Missing start menu: I did the Windows 10 update, the only way the start menu will open is to right click, and classic menu opens. It like my apps are no longer on my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/missing-start-menu/d92a6a67-299a-4ce9-8b6f-c446fff2a957
  9. missing start menu

missing start menu: Start menu and taskbar missing from Windows 10 tried task manager, powershell, etc. nothing works, any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/missing-start-menu/dc11fbd5-343b-4ef3-8758-e34d5f8e9b46
  10. Start Menu: One of two menus is missing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu: One of two menus is missing: On the bottom left of the Taskbar, there are two icons: one gives me the task view and is NOT a problem. I am very new to W10 so I'm not sure how the window icon is supposed to work. If I right click, I get a menu and I understand that. However, if I left click, nothing...