Windows 10: OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them.

Discus and support OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I’ve had Carbonite on my Windows 10 PC for years and I want to keep using it on the PC. I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and I only want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LynLee12, Oct 9, 2019.

1. LynLee12 Win User

OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them.

I’ve had Carbonite on my Windows 10 PC for years and I want to keep using it on the PC. I just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 and I only want some of my files on the laptop. I don’t want all of them there.

Although my PC had OneDrive I had not ever used it.

I want to use OneDrive on both computers to access those few files I use all the time; and still have Carbonite backing up all my files on the PC. It isn’t working that way.

I set up OneDrive on the laptop and then on the PC.

When I moved a file to OneDrive on my PC it removed it from ‘This PC’. Yet, on my laptop the file is in both the OneDrive folder and the This PC folder.

I contacted Carbonite and they said that’s way it will work because of the Files on-Demand feature in OneDrive which isn’t compatible with Carbonite.

I asked if the reverse would work -- if the file was on my laptop first and then put in OneDrive could I get them from OneDrive on my PC and have them also in This PC for the Carbonite backup and they said yes.

It doesn’t work that way either. When I get them from OneDrive on my PC they aren’t on OneDrive anymore.

Did I not set something up right when I started? Thanks for any help on this.

:)

LynLee12, Oct 9, 2019

2. OneDrive conflicting with Carbonite

I've used Carbonite for years with no problem, but since moving to Windows 10 was having real problems with Carbonite getting stuck part way, etc.. Have been told that this is because it conflicts with OneDrive. I wasn't even aware that I was using OneDrive,
    and don't particularly want to do so, as I have no need for document-sharing and so forth.

However, it looks as if OneDrive has been 'kidnapping' all sorts of files and folders and, when I try to copy the item and move it back to a desktop folder, the system just keeps saying 'Copying from OneDrive to OneDrive' How do I stop this happening, and
    how can I save things where I know they can be properly backed-up?

HELP!

Blackcat50, Oct 9, 2019
  3. OneDrive conflicting with Carbonite

Thanks, Greg, for the quick and detailed response - much appreciated!

My main concern with the free OneDrive backup is really based on recent experiences with forced updates on various things - especially the most recent Windows 10 update which seems to have totally jiggered up my Hotmail/Outlook access via preferred browser
    Chrome, a number of other issues, and has made the entire system slow and 'jumpy'.

I'm scared that, if I trust really important stuff to OneDrive, some changes will be made to it too, at some point, and I'll lose it all. (At least with a paid service, I could scream and shout at them!)

Is there any way of setting OneDrive (rather than disabling it completely) so that I can consciously save items to it, but can also choose to save to Carbonite for others?

Blackcat50, Oct 9, 2019
  4. OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them.

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them.

1. OneDrive and Carbonite not set up they way I want to use them. - Similar Threads - OneDrive Carbonite set

2. OneDrive interfered with Carbonite restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive interfered with Carbonite restore: I have a subscription with Carbonite so that I can get access to files regardless of device operating system.I bought a new PC with Windows 11. Old PC is also Windows 11 When I tried to restore from Carbonite, OneDrive "moved" files and folders from the original location...
  3. OneDrive interfered with Carbonite restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive interfered with Carbonite restore: I have a subscription with Carbonite so that I can get access to files regardless of device operating system.I bought a new PC with Windows 11. Old PC is also Windows 11 When I tried to restore from Carbonite, OneDrive "moved" files and folders from the original location...
  4. Setting up a laptop in a way that allows necessary control of the oneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting up a laptop in a way that allows necessary control of the oneDrive: First I'll explain what should not have happened when I recently set up a laptop, and then I'll explain what should have. When I set up my new laptop, Microsoft made some blunders that cost me dearly. Specifically, they: Decided without consulting me whether I even...
  5. I want my files and photos the way they were before onedrive messed them up

I want my files and photos the way they were before onedrive messed them up: I want my files and photos the way they were before onedrive messed them up in the cloud. Maybe someone can tell me how to shut off onedrive and my files will be there. Is there a way restore files and photos just the way they before Onedrive took them away. If I turn off...
  6. How to set up OneDrive on Windows 10 the easy way

in Windows 10 News
    How to set up OneDrive on Windows 10 the easy way: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]OneDrive for Windows 10 is a great cloud storage tool designed to easily backup all your files and documents. It also makes it super easy for users to gain access to their files that are located in the cloud without [...] This post How to set up OneDrive on...
  7. How to only use OneDrive when I want to use OneDrive

How to only use OneDrive when I want to use OneDrive: OneDrive is trying to take over my computer. Everything seems to be defaulting to saving files there. I DON'T WANT THAT!!! It's extremely aggravating. I want files to go where I want them to go, not where OneDrive thinks they should go. If I want to save something to...
  8. I DO NOT want to use Onedrive

I DO NOT want to use Onedrive: Hi, I DO NOT want to use onedrive. I only want my files saved to my PC. How do I do this?? I selected I only want files stored on my PC folder, then I deleted the folder from my onedrive folder. I then tried to open them in my PC folder and it said they'd been deleted!!...
  9. OneDrive conflicting with Carbonite

OneDrive conflicting with Carbonite: I've used Carbonite for years with no problem, but since moving to Windows 10 was having real problems with Carbonite getting stuck part way, etc.. Have been told that this is because it conflicts with OneDrive. I wasn't even aware that I was using OneDrive, and don't...
  10. Sort photos the way I want them, and make them stay that way

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort photos the way I want them, and make them stay that way: How can I sort my photos and make them stay the way I want them to in a folder. On Windows 7 I downloaded something from the 7 forum that allowed me to sort them in my chosen order and they stayed that way, ONLY on my desktop! How can I do it in Windows 10?????? 70037