Windows 10: OneDrive and local file

Discus and support OneDrive and local file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, So all my files are usually backed up onto Onedrive or some other storage cloud. But my laptop is running low on space so I want to clear them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MiriamMopa, Jul 21, 2021.

1. OneDrive and local file

Hello, So all my files are usually backed up onto Onedrive or some other storage cloud. But my laptop is running low on space so I want to clear them from my laptop's local storage space to free up some space. Is it possible to delete files from my laptop without deleting them from OneDrive??? And if I delete them from my laptop will they get deleted from OneDrive without some sort of other process??

:)

MiriamMopa, Jul 21, 2021

2. Search opens local files in OneDrive folder only in browser

Hi Elias,

To resolve your concern regarding opening local files on OneDrive, follow the steps below:

• Go to
      OneDrive.com.
    • Right click on the file that you want to view.
    • Click on Download.
    • The file will be downloaded, and would normally show up on the bottom part of your browser.
    • Click the file, and it would open up using its normal default application.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Jul 21, 2021
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 21, 2021
  4. OneDrive and local file

File History Not Backing Up OneDrive Local Files

Hi John,

I have exactly the same issue with File History. I have become aware this evening that the File History component isn't backing up the local replica of my OneDrive folder following the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update.

The last backup of my local OneDrive replica was last Friday, the 20th of October 2017 - prior to the upgrade.

This evening I realised this and went about trying some things. Initially, I did the following;

• Disabled File History
    • Went into the folder - %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\windows\FileHistory and deleted everything
    • Re-enabled File History - a backup ran, but nothing within the OneDrive folder was backed up

I then did the following;

• Disabled File History
    • Went into the folder - %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\windows\FileHistory and deleted everything
    • Formatted the external drive
    • Re-enabled File History - ran a backup up, it ran but it didn't backup the local OneDrive replica

I then had a check of the File History settings within both the Control Panel and the Settings app; within the Control Panel, nothing is excluded and within the Settings app, the OneDrive folder is selected.

I ran a few more backups, each time the backup ran and completed but the OneDrive folder is ignored!

OneDrive has the default options enabled - so the Files on Demand option is enabled. I switched this off and tried again - the OneDrive isn't being backed up. I switched it back on - still no back up.

I can confirm that File History was backing up the local OneDrive replica under the Creators Update. It has stopped following the upgrade to the Fall Creators Update!

I am a big OneDrive user and I have 823MB of data downloaded to my laptop which isn't being backed up. I am not happy with this!

This appears to be a wide spread issue... so I would expect Microsoft engineers to be working on explaining and resolving this issue.

Can I please ask if Microsoft is aware of this? Are they working on a fix for this issue? When will the fix be available?

I have created an item of Feedback, which is detailed here - Windows Insider Program

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Neil

Neil Hobbs, Jul 21, 2021
Thema:

OneDrive and local file

1. OneDrive and local file - Similar Threads - OneDrive local file

2. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  3. onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onedrive is overwriting local file with cloud file: I have a chat app that stores its history in a database, which is located in some folder that managed by onedrive. but a couple of days ago, onedrive have had some issues with syncing, today I reset it via onedrive.exe /reset, then it started syncing files.after reset,...
  4. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  5. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive and Local Files: My local files are PC>Windows C:>Users>MyName>OneDrive>Documents.I want to be able to select PC and have my local files appear under Documents and still sync with OneDrive. I am concerned if I change the path I will have multiple files everywhere. How do I make that...
  6. OneDrive and Local Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive and Local Files: I cannot seem to stop this. It appears everything under THIS PC Documents, Photos, Music, etc. show both local files and OneDrive files. It gets confusing and sometimes I can't really tell but some save directly to OneDrive. How do I:Have ONLY files that are on the Local disk...
  7. OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive local files are not syncing to OneDrive: Hi, I searched the forum and other websites and could not find a solution. All the files I add to my sync folders are never synced uploaded to onedrive, but the taskbar icon says it is up to date. I try to end the application process, unlink/re-link onedrive,...
  8. OneDrive vs. Local Disk Files

in Windows 10 Customization
    OneDrive vs. Local Disk Files: Hey Community, I am relatively new to using OneDrive. I have a Windows 10 machine and would like to store some files locally and some on OneDrive. I want to use OneDrive primarily for sharing files with others. I have a large number of local files (primarily images from my...
  9. File History Backup and Local OneDrive Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Backup and Local OneDrive Files: I know there have been a number of posts about issues with File History Backup. File History is a nice feature in Windows 10. It serves as a file backup system as well as a convenient way to restore files to previous versions through the File Explorer. I hope Microsoft...
  10. Onedrive local files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Onedrive local files: All of my Onedrive folders/files are set to "read-only". I went to properties on the Onedrive folder and cleared the checkmark on the read-only box. Applied the change to all floders/files. It appeared to go through all of them, but when I looked at any of the files they...