Windows 10: OneDrive and user file folders

Discus and support OneDrive and user file folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Windows 10, I put my user file folders My Documents, My Music, etc. into my OneDrive folder. But this seemed to confuse the OneDrive app, as well... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Diadochos, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Diadochos Win User

OneDrive and user file folders

In Windows 10, I put my user file folders My Documents, My Music, etc. into my OneDrive folder. But this seemed to confuse the OneDrive app, as well as Windows. I guess I should have known better than do do this with system folders, rather than just those system folders’ subfolders.

Anyway, upon rebooting, the system user file folders reappeared of their own accord in their original, default locations. So evidentally that makes the folders I moved into OneDrive just ‘copies’ that are no longer system folders.

And now it seems the files in my ‘copied’ user file folders often get replicated in, or moved into, the newly-reappeared system user file folders. And no, I’m sure I didn’t simply accidentally misfile them there. And I’m pretty sure this is causing OneDrive to make backup errors, because now it sometimes asks if I’m sure I want some files removed that I don’t want removed, and that I never tried to remove.

I researched how to move Windows user file folders elsewhere, but none of the instructions I’ve found seem to pertain to my OneDrive problem.

I suppose I could fix this problem by creating a OneDrive folder in each of My Documents, My Music My Pictures and My Videos, and then put my ‘copied’ user file folders into the OneDrive folders, but this seems unduly messy. Also, I don’t know if it could cause problems to do this with the other user file folders Desktop, Favorites, etc..

So, how do I fix this so that Windows and OneDrive are happy, and my data is still backed up in the cloud?

BTW, is this a complete list of default user file subfolders in a user file folder? So far, I haven’t been able to find such a list.

My Documents
    Music
    Pictures
    Videos
    Desktop
    Downloads
    Scans
    Favorites
    Links
    3D Objects

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

:)

Diadochos, Mar 31, 2020

2. onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Mar 31, 2020
  3. folder structure of /users/... and relation to OneDrive

Some new installations of Windows 10 do not have folder in the /users/%username%/ folder or have only 1 or a few of the standard structure of 'backups, desktop, documents, downloads, pictures, music, video'. but the OneDrive folder structure is complete
    for more so. The OneDrive/documents is populated with files, but the c:/users/documents/ has no files, The 'Quick Access' list is compete and properly populated. Shall I generate the file structure in the /users/%username%/ folder? Any good articles?

Thanks. Howard

HowardSartori, Mar 31, 2020
  4. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile OneDrive and user file folders :)

Frogger, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive and user file folders - Similar Threads - OneDrive user file

2. Cannot search for files in user's OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot search for files in user's OneDrive folder: There are some files I use a lot in my OneDrive folder, and for easier use, I use the Windows Search. It worked for a while, but stopped working randomly, possibly after an update installed. Whenever I try enabling the OneDrive folder in search indexing, the folder does not...
  3. Cannot search for files in user's OneDrive folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot search for files in user's OneDrive folder: There are some files I use a lot in my OneDrive folder, and for easier use, I use the Windows Search. It worked for a while, but stopped working randomly, possibly after an update installed. Whenever I try enabling the OneDrive folder in search indexing, the folder does not...
  4. Regarding OneDrive folder in users

Regarding OneDrive folder in users: I have Uninstalled the OneDrive app from my pc. Yet, their is a folder in user. I have tried deleting it and that caused all of my data loss in my Documents and Desktop. After I restarted my pc that folder was again created without my old data. I don't want that folder and...
  5. Regarding OneDrive folder in users

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Regarding OneDrive folder in users: I have Uninstalled the OneDrive app from my pc. Yet, their is a folder in user. I have tried deleting it and that caused all of my data loss in my Documents and Desktop. After I restarted my pc that folder was again created without my old data. I don't want that folder and...
  6. Regarding OneDrive folder in users

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Regarding OneDrive folder in user

Regarding OneDrive folder in user: I have Uninstalled the OneDrive app from my pc yet their is a folder in user. I tried deleting it and that made me lost all of my data in my Docs and Desktop. After I restarted my pc that folder was again created without my old data. I don't want that folder and what ever it...
  8. Onedrive File Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive File Folder: There us a file folder named OneDrive under C:\users\my name. I've no idea where if came from unless it was very early in my use of W10 when I explored OneDrive. I can't remove it because I keep getting messages about administrative privileges. Can someone tell me what the...
  9. OneDrive folders appear under my user folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive folders appear under my user folder in File Explorer: I'm not sure when this happened (prior to my Anniversary update), but something has gone weird in File Explorer. When I view my user folder (from the left navigation of FE), the sub folders for Documents and Pictures shown aren't my local folders at all, but OneDrive folders....
  10. Users folder showing TWO OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Users folder showing TWO OneDrive folders: My c:\Users\<Username> folder is showing TWO OneDrive folders. [img] firstly, how can two entries of exactly the same name exist in a single folder? Now, how to handle this? Though, I don't have to manually access any of these, as I have a separate folder at...