Windows 10: OneDrive App Asks "Did you mean to switch apps?" When I Open a File

Discus and support OneDrive App Asks "Did you mean to switch apps?" When I Open a File in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 x64 and am using the OneDrive app. When I select to open a file in its native app (i.e., Open > Open in app), I always get the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by nuspieds, May 12, 2020.

1. nuspieds Win User

OneDrive App Asks "Did you mean to switch apps?" When I Open a File

I'm running Windows 10 x64 and am using the OneDrive app.

When I select to open a file in its native app (i.e., Open > Open in app), I always get the prompt, "Did you mean to switch apps? 'OneDrive' is trying to open '<App Name>'."

This is extremely annoying! Is there a way to disable that prompt?

I know it is a generic prompt because I've seen the posts for how to fix it for Edge but I'm using the OneDrive app. I still tried that Edge registry fix, anyway, and not surprisingly, it did not solve the issue for OneDrive.

If you know of a solution, please let me know.

Thanks very much!

:)

nuspieds, May 12, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, May 12, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. OneDrive App Asks "Did you mean to switch apps?" When I Open a File :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, May 12, 2020
  4. OneDrive App Asks "Did you mean to switch apps?" When I Open a File

App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, May 12, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive App Asks "Did you mean to switch apps?" When I Open a File

1. OneDrive App Asks "Did you mean to switch apps?" When I Open a File - Similar Threads - OneDrive App Asks

2. Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open in desktop app a shared OneDrive file: Hi, I have edit permissions to a set of files that someone shared with me through OneDrive. I access the files through a browser and can edit them through Office apps online. However, there are some features of Excel, for example, that you can't use in Excel online so I...
  3. OneDrive mobile app file appears in "recent" but when opened from original location it is...

OneDrive mobile app file appears in "recent" but when opened from original location it is...: Hello, I'm having trouble finding recent versions of files on OneDrive in their designated locations. Within my OneDrive folder there is only one copy of the file, it is up to date on a PC, I can see it in the "recent" on the bottom of the mobile app, but the original...
  4. Photo app error when opening files, The app didn't start.

Photo app error when opening files, The app didn't start.: hey all, i've been troubleshooting this issue for days and i'm lost. when i try to open an image file, the Photos app returns the error "The app didn't start." and then the app disappears. i've also discovered that i can't open Microsoft Store we use Store for Business, the...
  5. Run a task when i open an app

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Run a task when i open an app: Hi I wanted to run a task when i open an app and end it when i close it Here is a task made my friend This start a app when another is started https://superuser.com/questions/745318/how-to-start-a-program-when-another-one-is-started I wanted to incorperate this task...
  6. How to control switching windows when an app instance opens

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to control switching windows when an app instance opens: For some apps/programs, when I open a new instance and there is an active window on another desktop, they open a new window in the present desktop. For some apps, when I open another instance and there is an active instance on another desktop, the desktop switches to that...
  7. Files and app not opening

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files and app not opening: After in-place upgrade repair to "recover" Windows 10 on my Acer laptop, I am slowly finding problems as I go. Yesterday, I got help getting my OneDrive back working and syncing again, and all seemed to be fine - folders with pictures were all there as were files and folders...
  8. my cursor disappears when switching between open apps

my cursor disappears when switching between open apps: When I have multiple pages on the desktop open one disappears when switching between the open apps. How do I fix this in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-cursor-disappears-when-switching-between-open/e71af598-723d-4e5d-bdbf-274840731113
  9. When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not...

When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not...: Hi. A few days ago I noticed something I've never seen before in my Windows 10 system: There are a few apps that start at startup that (a) I did not set to start up, (b) never started up before, and (c) do not appear in the list of "Startup" items within the Windows Task...
  10. Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image

Keeps asking "How do you want to open this file" when opening an image: This problem happen after April 2018 Update After I check "Always use this app to open .jpg files" and click OK.The same dialog box pops again and again This phenomena will only appear when I try to open any image files from applications: Thunderbird and uTorrent ***But...