Windows 10: OneDrive attempted to sync my entire PC without my consent.

Discus and support OneDrive attempted to sync my entire PC without my consent. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; What the title says. Fresh install of Win10 has the thing attempting to sync every single file in my hard drives. There's a 5gb cap, so obviously it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SpookyKid94, Feb 21, 2020.

1. OneDrive attempted to sync my entire PC without my consent.

What the title says. Fresh install of Win10 has the thing attempting to sync every single file in my hard drives. There's a 5gb cap, so obviously it's throwing errors like crazy trying to get me to buy the premium version.

I know how to unlink my account, but I'd like to avoid that because I don't want to just drop onedrive altogether.

Edit: I have "Where are my files?" links all over the fucking place, this is a nightmare.

submitted by /u/SpookyKid94
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SpookyKid94, Feb 21, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

OneDrive attempted to sync my entire PC without my consent. [​IMG]

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync - MSPoweruser

P4-630, Feb 21, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Microsoft OneDrive to get differential sync in Q2 2017

Read more: Microsoft OneDrive to get differential sync in Q2 2017 | ZDNet

Brink, Feb 21, 2020
  4. OneDrive attempted to sync my entire PC without my consent.

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 21, 2020
Thema:

OneDrive attempted to sync my entire PC without my consent.

1. OneDrive attempted to sync my entire PC without my consent. - Similar Threads - OneDrive attempted sync

2. OneDrive syncing my desktop without my request!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive syncing my desktop without my request!: For years I have OneDrive and use it only to store some selected folders. Today, suddenly, all my desktop icons had a green checkbox and from what I figured out it means that these folders were synced to OneDrive. Why, if I never enabled syncing my desktop?Question 2 - I...
  3. OneDrive syncing my desktop without my request!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive syncing my desktop without my request!: For years I have OneDrive and use it only to store some selected folders. Today, suddenly, all my desktop icons had a green checkbox and from what I figured out it means that these folders were synced to OneDrive. Why, if I never enabled syncing my desktop?Question 2 - I...
  4. Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop?: Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop? Is Windows 11 like this too? Who thought this was a good idea? Why do all my folders disappear when I try to turn it off? Why can't I turn it back on?...
  5. Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop?: Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop? Is Windows 11 like this too? Who thought this was a good idea? Why do all my folders disappear when I try to turn it off? Why can't I turn it back on?...
  6. Why is OneDrive trying to sync my entire desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Onedrive saving data without consent

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive saving data without consent: Hi,How can I stop Onedrive from saving my files without my consent?I have tried my best to remove Onedrive access to my windows account but do use it for a separate Student account for college work. The separate onedrive account works and successfully saves my college work...
  8. Onedrive saving data without consent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive saving data without consent: Hi,How can I stop Onedrive from saving my files without my consent?I have tried my best to remove Onedrive access to my windows account but do use it for a separate Student account for college work. The separate onedrive account works and successfully saves my college work...
  9. [Question] How to sync the entire PC on OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Question] How to sync the entire PC on OneDrive?: I'm going to get the Microsoft 365 Home subscription tomorrow. With it, I'll be getting 1 TB OneDrive storage. I'm thinking I'll use that space to sync almost the entire laptop of mine (except for OS portions, of course.). But how do I do that? To sync anything to OneDrive,...
  10. Without my consent.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Without my consent.: I scheduled the latest Windows Update for sometime next week. I woke up this morning with my computer in the middle of the update. I had to access some files for work but couldn't. Windows Update acted without my consent. I took the time to verify twice that the scheduled...