Windows 10: OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

Discus and support OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, also I'm maintaining a OneDrive domain in the same PC. In OneDrive domain if I attempt to rename a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mahesh Uddama, Nov 9, 2018.

1. OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

I'm using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, also I'm maintaining a OneDrive domain in the same PC.

In OneDrive domain if I attempt to rename a file partly for ex: [this file rev1.*] to [this file rev2.*] it doesn't allow me to put courser right after the part i want to modify [this file rev1|.*] and modify. In a split second it re-select entire file name as if I'm going to change the entire name. I have to try several times before it gives up and give me the control for put my courser anywhere I want.

as expected this issue doesn't exist outside OneDrive domain on the same PC. so it has to be an issue related to OneDrive.

also I have hidden my known file extensions, so examples I mentioned earlier doesn't conflict of attempting to change of file extension.

:)

Mahesh Uddama, Nov 9, 2018

2. Renaming files in OneDrive while it is syncing is frustrating because it highlights the entire name of the file. How to avoid this?

Hi,

When I rename a file in OneDrive while it is still syncing with OneDrive, the entire name gets highlighted. If I press the forward arrow key to add something to the file's name, it again gets highlighted. And it keeps happening several times.

My work is such that it requires me to edit a file in Word Doc and then rename it. I have to do this for many files in quick succession. So this "automatic highlighting" is really really frustrating.

Anything I can do about this?

Thanks,

Vividh.

VividhKothari, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Renaming files in OneDrive while it is syncing is frustrating because it highlights the entire name of the file. How to avoid this?

Hi VividhKothari,

In that case will suggest to pause the synchronization if you are constantly renaming files name, then as soon you finished resume the synchronization.

From Word you can save the file with the desire name and avoid going to the local one drive path to rename the file, by using Save as then selecting OneDrive path.

Hope that helps

Neftali Ramirez, Nov 9, 2018
  4. ax_Cap Win User

OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

Can't open or rename file (name is too long) WTF?

Solved!!!!!

Use 7zip.

open the 7zip file manager, go to the folder of the long name file, select the file, right click on it and select "rename".
    erase some of the words of the file and press enter.

regards!!!!!

ax_Cap, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

1. OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it - Similar Threads - OneDrive Automatic selection

2. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-rename-bug/3ae7aa45-f157-4d67-a6ad-6ec940e7b92bI'm having this exact same problem.The answer there didn't address the error.That post was locked.The problems not fixed....
  3. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-rename-bug/3ae7aa45-f157-4d67-a6ad-6ec940e7b92bI'm having this exact same problem.The answer there didn't address the error.That post was locked.The problems not fixed....
  4. File Rename Error - Edit part of existing Name - Select All - Rewrite Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing": It's interesting that Microsoft doesn't have a good answer for this, you'll find versions of this on Dropbox and other platforms that use Window. The answer to the problem is: File Explorer is trying to resort based on your new file name. Change the FE window so it sorts by...
  6. A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing": It's interesting that Microsoft doesn't have a good answer for this, you'll find versions of this on Dropbox and other platforms that use Window. The answer to the problem is: File Explorer is trying to resort based on your new file name. Change the FE window so it sorts by...
  7. Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename

Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename: This problem has bugs the He__ out of me. When renaming a file or folder in Windows 10 file explorer, I click on the filename and while I am adding a word, or number and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which, of course when I type another...
  8. Renaming using F2 - automatic re-selection of entire filename ~3 seconds after pressing F2

Renaming using F2 - automatic re-selection of entire filename ~3 seconds after pressing F2: When modifying file names in all file types in File Explorer, I use F2 and then modify as required. When I do this, it keeps selecting the whole file name as I'm typing making the process very inefficient. I have restored defaults in File Explorer Options. But this is a...
  9. Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8: So I think I've found a workaround that doesn't require a third party program. I simply can't reply to the original thread because it's closed, but I think my two cents may help some people since I'm having this problem on Windows 10 nearly seven years later. It seems that,...
  10. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing: While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10 Pro (upgraded from win 8.1). See citation below for the detailed problem description. I want to add that I first suspected...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to compleatly remove OneDrive

2. selectign renameingfiles onedrive