Windows 10: OneDrive automatically deleting files?

Discus and support OneDrive automatically deleting files? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I have a quick question regarding OneDrive. I have it set up on my laptop but these past few days I've been noticing that OneDrive seems to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IsaidSalazar, Mar 13, 2021.

1. OneDrive automatically deleting files?

Hi all,

I have a quick question regarding OneDrive. I have it set up on my laptop but these past few days I've been noticing that OneDrive seems to be automatically deleting files whenever I work with them. I use a 3D modelling software, Rhino, and whenever I would save a file, a message from OneDrive would pop up. I've attached a screenshot of the message:

OneDrive automatically deleting files? d889acd5-dca9-415f-b654-505810ad6f33?upload=true.jpg

It seems to suggest that I'm deleting them myself, which isn't the case. At first it would only happen when working with files in that program, but I started seeing that it would happen in other places too. for example, I play a few Steam games, like GTA V, and I also started to see that, whenever I'd exit the game, a game/program file or what appears to be a game or program file would be deleted, and this same OneDrive message would appear, but obviously with the game file noted. This would also happen whenever I'd exit/close the Steam application too.

I don't think I've changed any settings in OneDrive, and I did get a Windows update yesterday, but it's been happening even before that. From what the message says, I guess I could just go into the OneDrive recycle bin and restore all the deleted files, but is there a way to just stop OneDrive from deleting them in the first place? Or stop it from sending them to its' Recycle Bin? I wouldn't want to find out that important work or program files are being moved around, or even deleted.

:)

IsaidSalazar, Mar 13, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Mar 13, 2021
  3. aswp Win User
    OneDrive automatically deleting files from OneDrive folder

Unlinking the 2nd PC from onedrive, deleting all the synced folders on the 2nd PC, and signing back in seems to solve all the issues. I no longer see onedrive deleting files automatically. It has been 3 days and things appear to be normal.

4. OneDrive automatically deleting files?

OneDrive automatically deleting files from OneDrive folder

I'm experiencing the same problems of Onedrive files being deleted automatically when a new and old laptop are both online or coming online. All the newer files gets deleted and ends up in the recycling bin. I don't know how many files I've lost before realizing
    this, how many newer files have been overwritten by older versions or what mixup is happening between intentionally deleted files and Onedrive automatically deleting files.

Even another Onedrive user that shared a folder with me - files in that folder is getting deleted automatically when the old laptop is restarted. Files can be "restored" and Onedrive will show as being up to date. But as soon as either the new or old laptop
    is restarted, suddenly it has thousands of files to sync...and deleting restored files.

I wanted to make clear that this problem did not disappear after the previous October post.

**UPDATE: I don't have this problem syncing across 4 different PCs, 2 Androids and 2 Macs. The issue is only between the 4th and 5th PC. What I realized is that a Windows Image of the disk was used from the 4th machine to setup the 5th PC. I have a hypothesis
    since this Onedrive was created from an Image disk, it has some kind of a serial number on the Onedrive installation and the cloud sees both the 4th and 5th installation as the same - and whenever the one is syncing it ends up deleting files from the other
    one. It still shouldn't happen but maybe that pinpoints the source of the problem.

I'm curious if any of the other users reporting this problem at any point used a cloned disk or image restore on a different machine?

KingFisher_82, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

OneDrive automatically deleting files?

1. OneDrive automatically deleting files? - Similar Threads - OneDrive automatically deleting

2. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting files on OneDrive: I deleted two Microsoft Word documents in the OneDrive Desktop folder. I exited the folder but the files are still there - but I can't open, rename, hide or delete them, only move their location on the Desktop screen, because the 'file location wasn't found'. Help - what do I...
  3. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting files on OneDrive: I deleted two Microsoft Word documents in the OneDrive Desktop folder. I exited the folder but the files are still there - but I can't open, rename, hide or delete them, only move their location on the Desktop screen, because the 'file location wasn't found'. Help - what do I...
  4. Deleting files on OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. onedrive deleting files automatically

onedrive deleting files automatically: How DF do i fix this **** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-deleting-files-automatically/3657ae4a-da25-4809-8999-67277ff01841
  6. files are automatically deleting

files are automatically deleting: whenever i downloading or copying zip file in my PC they are deleting automatically. My storage sense is off I have added Exclusion for the zip file type. I have deleted all the windows updates enabled to delete some of them as window is not providing permission to do so...
  7. Deleting file automatically

Deleting file automatically: My files deleting automatically when i click in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-file-automatically/7134976a-1623-4d8f-b86d-fbc1929d7dcf"
  8. OneDrive and File Deletion

OneDrive and File Deletion: On Windows 10, using MS File Explorer to elete a file that is in a directory where the settings are set to keep a copy on the pC and on OneDrive. Whe I delete some files, I get this message which makes me suspecious that there is something wrong. This only started a week...
  9. Deleting files in OneDrive

Deleting files in OneDrive: I have a lot of files I want to delete, and it is easier to do on the desktop than on the web. I have multiple images that are not local, but I have the icons showing. When I delete them, they download before they will delete which takes an inordinate amount of time. Is there...
  10. Automatic delete files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic delete files: Hello. I play gta sa and this game require more .asi files for better gaming. But when I put .asi files in this game directory and turn on game, these files are delete by win10. When i restart pc, will do same thing. Where are problem? How can I fix it? I dont have any...