Windows 10: OneDrive + AutoSave changes Modified Date of doc even if no change

Discus and support OneDrive + AutoSave changes Modified Date of doc even if no change in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I only recently moved my important folders into OneDrive (involuntarily). And I have Microsoft 365 Home 64-bit on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit (version 1909)... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by glnz, Oct 10, 2020.

1. glnz Win User

OneDrive + AutoSave changes Modified Date of doc even if no change

I only recently moved my important folders into OneDrive (involuntarily). And I have Microsoft 365 Home 64-bit on my Win 10 Pro 64-bit (version 1909) home PC.

I've discovered that if "Auto-Save" is on, then merely opening a Word or Excel document will update its "Modified" date to today even if nothing is done to it. That's terrible.

I have turned off "Auto-Save" in both programs, but now I understand that real-time collaboration on a file by myself and another person will no longer be possible.

Is there a way to leave "Auto-Save" on but NOT let it "update" a file's Modified date merely by looking at it?

:)

2. Aaron_Sum Win User

Illogical date modified updating

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the modified date is just as important as the created date within the metadata of a given file. We will look into this for you.
    However, in order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

1. What is the build of Windows 10 running on your system?
    2. Was there any major change or an update on your system prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?
    3. Is the issue only with the pictures taken from the camera or the other pictures and files within the system as well?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Method 1: Enable the Date Modified Column in the File Explorer.

To enable the Date modified column within the particular folder, please follow the steps below.

1. Open the Folder in which you wish to see the Date modified column.
    2. Right-click on the
      Header for Name, date, type etc. This will give you a list of columns that can be displayed.
    3. Select the option Date modified, clearing the tick removes that column.
    4. Modify a file and check if it is being reflected in the Date modified column.

If the issue still persists, where you aren’t able to see the value in the Date modified column even after making the changes to the particular file, please follow ‘Method 2’.

Method 2: Create a new user account.

This issue could be due to profile corruption. Hence to eliminate possibilities, I would suggest you to ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account
    ’ and check if the issue persists.

Note:
    You will not see all your files under your default file location. So your data will be saved under C:\users\user_name.

We await your response.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Oct 10, 2020
  3. Microsoft OneDrive Changing The 'Original Creation Date' On Folders?

Please see this

Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in OneDrive
    on this link
    Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in OneDrive - Office Support
    and the general link
    Back up your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders with OneDrive - Office Support

I appreciate it is One Drive on Microsoft Office but the principle applies to One Drive itself

If OneDrive backup is on the each time a folder is backed up to OneDrive, the creation date is the date of the backup to the Cloud

This happens of course, even if you have not changed edited or deleted or modified anything

Numerous requests have been made to Microsoft for this to be changed, but as far as I know it has not been and Microsoft have I think said it is unlikely it will

I could provide you with numerous examples but I doubt it would help you
    Here are a few
    Keeping Original Folder Creation Date – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

Keeping original creation/modification dates when uploadig – Feature Suggestions for Microsoft OneDrive

The link below may help you.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-7a7ea2bde4d0
    understand what I mean, but you would NOT I presume wish to follow that - as MOVE of course is not what you want.

Cheers I hope it helps a little
    Please stay safe yourself in the crisis
    Thanks for your best wishes and as it does really matter to you PLEASE do not hesitate to ask for further details if you need them.

Macboatmaster, Oct 10, 2020
  4. pmokover Win User

IE11 Favorites Date Modified Changes

Thanks for the reply.

I am not talking about the Date Modified of individual favorites files changing as I use them. I understand that.

I am talking about the date modified of ALL of my favorites files - hundreds of them - changing including ones I haven't used in years. Something is going through ALL of my favorites files and bulk changing their date modified. This never happened before
    upgrading to Windows 10 but it now happens roughly every day or two at random times of day. They all get changed to the same day/time.

Peter

pmokover, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive + AutoSave changes Modified Date of doc even if no change - Similar Threads - OneDrive AutoSave changes

2. when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?: when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?i found that if the Child documents have been modified, the parent folder will also change "modified date".but why?can you give me some document to support my assumption?...
  3. when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?: when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?i found that if the Child documents have been modified, the parent folder will also change "modified date".but why?can you give me some document to support my assumption?...
  4. when will the Parent Folders change "modified date"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change multiple Date Modified entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Change multiple Date Modified entries: Is it possible to achieve the following by either command prompt, PowerShell, batch file, VBS script or any other tool please? I have folders containing subfolders, and in each subfolder there is a single file with extension '.ino', with the same filename as the subfolder....
  6. OneDrive changing 'date modified' when file just opened not modified

OneDrive changing 'date modified' when file just opened not modified: How do I stop OneDrive from changing the 'date modified" to todays date when I just open but don't modify a file or when I move a file or folder to another folder....
  7. FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???

FILES COPIED CHANGED THE CREATED AND MODIFIED DATES TO THE DATE COPY WAS DONE???: Files created over many years were copied form PC WIN 7 to a portable hard drive then my new PC WIN10 File creation dates and modified dates changed to the date copy was done. For my purposes this is disastrous. One answer was I should have used "move" instead of "copy"....
  8. Date modified changed for thousands of files

Date modified changed for thousands of files: Hi, On my Windows 10 laptop with a Samsung SSD I have experienced some weird behavior tonight: I have roughly 11.000 files with date modified "today" since I started the laptop in the afternoon. Many of these files are in tmp folders e.g. AppData/Local/Temp or in folders...
  9. One Drive date modified changes even when I do not save changes.

One Drive date modified changes even when I do not save changes.: One Drive changes excel spreadsheet modified dates even if I do not save changes. How do I change this so that if no changes are saved it keeps the original modified date? Sometime I may go to an old spreadsheet to copy and paste info to a different spreadsheet. I want...
  10. Launching exe file change its modified date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Launching exe file change its modified date: I have upgraded to Win 10 and getting used to it little by little. There is something new which I find quite annoying. Whenever I launch an exe file, the modified date is changed to the present date/time. Is there a way to disable that like in all previous versions of...