Windows 10: OneDrive - Can I just use it for basic storage

Discus and support OneDrive - Can I just use it for basic storage in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I have 1TB of cloud storage with my M365 personal account. I just want to use it to store files on that I manually upload and access them from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by darkmenace, Feb 16, 2021.

1. OneDrive - Can I just use it for basic storage

Hi all

I have 1TB of cloud storage with my M365 personal account. I just want to use it to store files on that I manually upload and access them from other devices as required. I am not interested in syncing, online/offline files, OneDrive automatically deleting stuff of its choosing etc.

I have tried uploading to OneDrive with WinSCP and Cyberduck using their inbuilt WebDAV support and via the OneDrive web client and all have issues. The first two apps fail to upload files of a few 100mb in size and in WinSCP's case the specific error is "Could not send request body: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host." When using the OneDrive web client (browser), it always freezes at a point in time. At this stage OneDrive is proving utterly useless to me.

Anyone have any working methods for just using OneDrive for pure manually managed storage without all the automated BS Microsoft wants it to do?

:)

darkmenace, Feb 16, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 16, 2021
  3. Frick Win User
    Cloud storage (aka Onedrive will suck so need to find something else)

So, I will have to move away from Onedrive, which is sad because it's frankly the best free cloud storage I know of. But as someone said: "Microsoft realized they accidentaly made a great service." and they'll change it so that starting soon this will happen (the things that affect me anyway):
    • 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.
    • Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.
    This is so much crap. I use the free version and yeah $1.99/month I probably could afford, but it still SUCKS. Seriously, I usually don't get the MS hate, but this is a poop-poop move.

So I need something new.

Dropbox is out. Too tiny. Google Drive might be an alternative, but I'd rather not, for ... reasons I can't remember right now.

What I need:
    • something like 15GB storage or so.
    • Automatic photo uploading from my phone (Android)
    • Preferably an actual app for Android (yes I know you can setup ES File Explorer and the like but that's usually pretty cumbersome)
    The simplest solution I'm actually leaning towards is just to give up and get a 100GB plan now (current 100/200GB plans will not be affected, in the future they won't be avaliable to new customers), but that's the easy way out. *Frown OneDrive - Can I just use it for basic storage :(

Frick, Feb 16, 2021
  4. OneDrive - Can I just use it for basic storage

OneDrive storage is full

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand your concern as you are having difficulties in uploading the files in OneDrive, which is upgraded to 100 GB.

In this scenario we would suggest you to follow the steps below to reset OneDrive:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run Window.
    2. In the Run Window enter the following: localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset.
    3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.
    4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following. In the Run Window Enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe.

If the issue persists, we do have dedicated support team for OneDrive and you can get in touch with them for further assistance. Follow the below steps to contact the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser or Open OneDrive App, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

You may also refer our
    OneDrive help center
    for further assistance.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Feb 16, 2021
Thema:

OneDrive - Can I just use it for basic storage

1. OneDrive - Can I just use it for basic storage - Similar Threads - OneDrive basic storage

2. OneDrive storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive storage: How do I make it so that some downloads can be stored into my one drive instead of being placed in my computer's drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-storage/15956e13-04ae-4b5a-9ddb-6d53b6e9c436
  3. OneDrive storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive storage: How do I make it so that some downloads can be stored into my one drive instead of being placed in my computer's drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-storage/15956e13-04ae-4b5a-9ddb-6d53b6e9c436
  4. How can I NOT use OneDrive desktop?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I NOT use OneDrive desktop?: Hello All I was discussing this as part of another thread but wanted to post it as it's own thread so everyone can see the question and because I think it deserves it's own thread.. My Windows 10 Pro desktop path is pointing to My user OneDrive folder I've uninstalled...
  5. Can I use Onedrive in a Local Account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I use Onedrive in a Local Account?: I want to use Onedrive in a W10 PC but also I need a local account. Is possible? Thanks submitted by /u/Ok_Intention_4934 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kgjxnx/can_i_use_onedrive_in_a_local_account/
  6. OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space

OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space: Why is OneDrive taking up space on my hard drive? The storage info says OneDrive is using 33 GB. I needed a new computer and bought one a few months ago. Had to get one with 128 GB because computers were sold out everywhere. I figured that since I have OneDrive, only the apps...
  7. Onedrive storage

Onedrive storage: Hi I have 4 x hardrives on my PC a 250 GB ssd C drive for OS and programmes, 1tb HHD D drive for documents, 2Tb SSD E drive for pictures and videos and 2Tb HHD F drive for backups. I have just setup Onedrive to backup my desktop, documents and pictures using F drive but now...
  8. Can I Use OneDrive Like This?

Can I Use OneDrive Like This?: I want to work on a Libre document in its own directory on my hard drive. But I'd like it to be mirrored onto One Drive. So that everything I do to it is reflected immediately onto the One Drive copy Then when I'm elsewhere on some other PC I'd like to work on that doc on...
  9. onedrive storage.

onedrive storage.: hello, I was wondering if it is possible to save/download or import games to the one drive on my laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-storage/66222e50-7c22-486b-b785-eb972a4dd9b4"
  10. Basic OneDrive Settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    Basic OneDrive Settings?: Hi all. Help please. Having switched from OneDrive for Business to OneDrive with Windows 10 I'm struggling to understand settings. I just want to use it for basic cloud backup. To hold working copies of material on the laptop, and back it up on the cloud - and don't want...