Windows 10: OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist

Discus and support OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm continually being notified of OneDrive reaching its capacity. I've opened OneDrive's settings to exclude folders to be told "Can't stop syncing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by JamesKnight2, Dec 9, 2023.

1. OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist

I'm continually being notified of OneDrive reaching its capacity. I've opened OneDrive's settings to exclude folders to be told "Can't stop syncing folder. The folder you tried to unselect contains the Windows Documents folder, which is an important folder in Windows and is currently pointed to OneDrive."Microsoft's fortuitous idea of having "My Games" folder within "My Documents" and can't be excluded? Whose idea was that? Why does Microsoft think these are important files and need to be backed up? Why does Microsoft think they're the custodians of what can and can't be synced? You're overste

:)

JamesKnight2, Dec 9, 2023
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Slelective Onedrive syncing

Hi OliverE_921

Right click the OneDrive t the bottom right of your Screen and choose Settings

From Settings you can pick and choose which folders OneDrive will sync

I would suggest setting up a couple of folders either in your Documents Folder or wherever you wish and set OneDrive to just sync those folders, with your important data . ..

DaveM121, Dec 9, 2023
  3. iBug Win User
    Prevent OneDrive from re-syncing everything after re-installing Windows 10

The context is almost identical to that of Windows 8.1 move OneDrive to existing folder after OS reinstall, except I'm on Windows 10. I want to stop OneDrive from re-syncing everything after re-installing Windows 10 because the files are BIG and remain intact before and after OS reinstallation. Even the paths remain the same before and after (is still D:\OneDrive on my machine - the D drive is the same volume).

I have searched on Google and found results like this or this, and no definitive answer was found.

Is there a solution for W10?

iBug, Dec 9, 2023
  4. OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist

Is there any way to use the onedrive app WITHOUT syncing core folders?

Yes. You can choose not to sync your personal shell folders during the OneDrive setup. If syncing has been enabled already for your core shell folders, you can disable syncing using these steps:

To revert the shell folder locations to default, open OneDrive and do the following:

Important: Before proceeding, copy the files in those special folders to another folder or external drive. Please don’t copy them anywhere under Desktop/Documents/Pictures. This is because disabling OneDrive backup for a folder erases the local copies of the files. Copying them to a different location beforehand will ensure that you don’t need to download them again from the OneDrive cloud.

1. Right-click the OneDrive icon in the Notification area and click Settings.
    2. Select the Backup tab, and click Manage Backup
    3. In the Manage folder backup dialog, click on the Stop backup link under the special folder (Desktop, Documents, or Pictures)
    4. Click Stop backup in the confirmation dialog that appears.
    5. Repeat the step for each shell folder you want to revert to the original location.
    See also

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 9, 2023
Thema:

OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist

1. OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist - Similar Threads - OneDrive Can't stop

2. OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist: I'm continually being notified of OneDrive reaching its capacity. I've opened OneDrive's settings to exclude folders to be told "Can't stop syncing folder. The folder you tried to unselect contains the Windows Documents folder, which is an important folder in Windows and is...
  3. OneDrive - Can't stop syncing folder - Unsync a sub folder under Documents?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive - Can't stop syncing folder - Unsync a sub folder under Documents?: Hello,I have a subfolder in my Documents folder I don't want synching. It is a fault location from some code that downloads big datasets I don't need to store.But when I try to unselect the folder, I get this:Can't stop syncing folder - the folder you tried to unselect...
  4. OneDrive - Can't stop syncing folder - Unsync a sub folder under Documents?

OneDrive - Can't stop syncing folder - Unsync a sub folder under Documents?: Hello,I have a subfolder in my Documents folder I don't want synching. It is a fault location from some code that downloads big datasets I don't need to store.But when I try to unselect the folder, I get this:Can't stop syncing folder - the folder you tried to unselect...
  5. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  6. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  7. Stop syncing OneDrive, then select which folders to sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop syncing OneDrive, then select which folders to sync: I have a new computer, which by default, decided to synch all of my folders 500GB to OneDrive. Quickly OneDrive ran out of space 5GB. So I followed the instructions to decide which folders to synch, and the App told me that no, I cannot do this until ALL the folders had...
  8. OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive: Must have done a mistake while setting up my new PC, because Desktop, Documents and Pictures got linked to OneDrive rather than being local to the PC (all marked with little cloud). Tried unchecking the folders to stop syncing them, but got a message that I couldn't stop...
  9. Stop OneDrive from Syncing the Documents folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stop OneDrive from Syncing the Documents folder: Hi, I recently bought a new PC. I set up OneDrive as I always do, except this time it's syncing the Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I don't want the documents or the desktop to be synced as I work with very big files as as well as Outlook .PST's not syncing whilst Outlook...
  10. OneDrive syncing and I can't stop it

OneDrive syncing and I can't stop it: Hi Brink - I recently renewed my Office Home 365 Personal. Previously, OneDrive worked perfectly but now it's a nightmare. It's syncing and I can't stop it - it kept at it for a week earlier & the OneDrive Support Team said it was stuck and told me how to restart it. It's...