Windows 10: OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

Discus and support OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Must have done a mistake while setting up my new PC, because Desktop, Documents and Pictures got linked to OneDrive rather than being local to the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/koppe74, Jan 14, 2021.

1. OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

Must have done a mistake while setting up my new PC, because Desktop, Documents and Pictures got linked to OneDrive rather than being local to the PC (all marked with little cloud).

Tried unchecking the folders to stop syncing them, but got a message that I couldn't stop syncing because it was an "essential windows folder" and was "currently pointing to OneDrive"...

So how can I make it stop pointing, so I can unsync it? And how can I recreate the folders locally (if it doesn't happen automatically)?

submitted by /u/koppe74
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/koppe74, Jan 14, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 14, 2021
  3. CraigLong Win User
    Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive

There is no way to selectively sync folders (meaning "selectively backup folders to OneDrive"). It's either sync all folders or no folders.

If you uncheck a folder it will disappear from your device. When you check folders you are selecting which online OneDrive folders you want synced to your device. That's what "sync" means in OneDrive. What you have experienced
    is the way it works.

So I stopped Backup for Desktop. This in turn made all other files on the Desktop disappear... at this point I came here and decided to simply ask.

Stopping the Backup (at OneDrive settings > Backup tab >
    Manage backup) of your Desktop should not make the desktop folders disappear. Perhaps you are still backing up these folders to OneDrive and you unchecked these desktop folders?

CraigLong, Jan 14, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

How can I stop a folder from being pushed to OneDrive

Hi 3201Hunter

If your Documents folder is being Synced to OneDrive, your only option to stop that sub-folder from being synced to OneDrive is to move that sub-folder out of your Documents folder to another location, so it is not included in the sync list . . .

DaveM121, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

1. OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive - Similar Threads - OneDrive Can't stop

2. OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist: I'm continually being notified of OneDrive reaching its capacity. I've opened OneDrive's settings to exclude folders to be told "Can't stop syncing folder. The folder you tried to unselect contains the Windows Documents folder, which is an important folder in Windows and is...
  3. OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive "Can't stop syncing folder" shouldn't exist: I'm continually being notified of OneDrive reaching its capacity. I've opened OneDrive's settings to exclude folders to be told "Can't stop syncing folder. The folder you tried to unselect contains the Windows Documents folder, which is an important folder in Windows and is...
  4. How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?

How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?: I have a folder named ~/Documents/Rockstar Games that I do not want to sync to OneDrive. But when I try to disable syncing of this folder in OneDrive settings, I get a message saying that Documents is being synced and I cannot stop syncing the /Rockstar Games folder. Is there...
  5. How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop syncing folder under ~/Documents with OneDrive?: I have a folder named ~/Documents/Rockstar Games that I do not want to sync to OneDrive. But when I try to disable syncing of this folder in OneDrive settings, I get a message saying that Documents is being synced and I cannot stop syncing the /Rockstar Games folder. Is there...
  6. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  7. Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders

Can't stop OneDrive from syncing folders: I go through this everytime I have to rebuild my PC with this worthless sytem. It defaults to backing up everything in my life. I try to stop it from backing up MY GAMES folder inside my documents but it syas I have to wait until it finishes backing up the files before I can...
  8. How to stop certain folders or file types stop syncing to OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to stop certain folders or file types stop syncing to OneDrive?: I recently downloaded 3 movies which are 4 GB in total. I have also been backing up other things from my computer, so I have 0.1 GB left in OneDrive. I want to know if there is a way to not back up the movies to OneDrive, but still keep them on my PC at all times. I don't...
  9. Stop syncing OneDrive, then select which folders to sync

Stop syncing OneDrive, then select which folders to sync: I have a new computer, which by default, decided to synch all of my folders 500GB to OneDrive. Quickly OneDrive ran out of space 5GB. So I followed the instructions to decide which folders to synch, and the App told me that no, I cannot do this until ALL the folders had...
  10. Stop OneDrive from Syncing the Documents folder

Stop OneDrive from Syncing the Documents folder: Hi, I recently bought a new PC. I set up OneDrive as I always do, except this time it's syncing the Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I don't want the documents or the desktop to be synced as I work with very big files as as well as Outlook .PST's not syncing whilst Outlook...