Windows 10: OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

Discus and support OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Must have done a mistake while setting up my new PC, because Desktop, Documents and Pictures got linked to OneDrive rather than being local to the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/koppe74, Jan 14, 2021.

1. OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

Must have done a mistake while setting up my new PC, because Desktop, Documents and Pictures got linked to OneDrive rather than being local to the PC (all marked with little cloud).

Tried unchecking the folders to stop syncing them, but got a message that I couldn't stop syncing because it was an "essential windows folder" and was "currently pointing to OneDrive"...

So how can I make it stop pointing, so I can unsync it? And how can I recreate the folders locally (if it doesn't happen automatically)?

submitted by /u/koppe74
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/koppe74, Jan 14, 2021

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 14, 2021
  3. CraigLong Win User
    Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive

There is no way to selectively sync folders (meaning "selectively backup folders to OneDrive"). It's either sync all folders or no folders.

If you uncheck a folder it will disappear from your device. When you check folders you are selecting which online OneDrive folders you want synced to your device. That's what "sync" means in OneDrive. What you have experienced
    is the way it works.

So I stopped Backup for Desktop. This in turn made all other files on the Desktop disappear... at this point I came here and decided to simply ask.

Stopping the Backup (at OneDrive settings > Backup tab >
    Manage backup) of your Desktop should not make the desktop folders disappear. Perhaps you are still backing up these folders to OneDrive and you unchecked these desktop folders?

CraigLong, Jan 14, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

How can I stop a folder from being pushed to OneDrive

Hi 3201Hunter

If your Documents folder is being Synced to OneDrive, your only option to stop that sub-folder from being synced to OneDrive is to move that sub-folder out of your Documents folder to another location, so it is not included in the sync list . . .

DaveM121, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive

1. OneDrive: Can't stop syncing folders - how to stop pointing essential folders to OneDrive - Similar Threads - OneDrive Can't stop

2. Unable to stop sharing folder onedrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to stop sharing folder onedrive: i was meant to share a single file but acidently shared the whole "desktop" folder instead.. when i try to manage access, an error happens.. how do i fix this? thanks [ATTACH]...
  3. how to stop onedrive uploading specific folder?

how to stop onedrive uploading specific folder?: Hi, i would like to stop onedrive from uploading my temp picture folder and filling it up and giving me "ALMOST FULL, GIVE ME MONEY" message all the time. I would just uninstall it but getting all my stuff back will be just as much trouble. Really do enjoy these user friendly...
  4. Keep local copy of files, but stop syncing folder with OneDrive

Keep local copy of files, but stop syncing folder with OneDrive: When I try to unlink a particular folder from OneDrive, it warns me that it will delete all local copies. This is the opposite behavior that I want. I actually want the local copy and do not want that folder stored on OneDrive. Use Case: The 244 GB .tar file that I am...
  5. How do I stop certain folders from syncing to onedrive?

How do I stop certain folders from syncing to onedrive?: I play sims 4 and have downloaded quite a bit of extra content for it. Unfortunately, this has all saved to my onedrive, filling it up completely. Is there a way of stopping just this folder from syncing, and leaving the rest of my documents to sync? I have researched this...
  6. Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive

Not Syncing Folders with OneDrive: How do I add a folder to my desktop without having OneDrive attempt to sync it? I wanted to move a large file and for ease of access wanted to place it on the desktop. I don't want OneDrive to upload all 6GB of it. What I tried: I created a "Local" folder on Desktop. I...
  7. Stop OneDrive from Syncing the Documents folder

Stop OneDrive from Syncing the Documents folder: Hi, I recently bought a new PC. I set up OneDrive as I always do, except this time it's syncing the Desktop, Documents and Pictures. I don't want the documents or the desktop to be synced as I work with very big files as as well as Outlook .PST's not syncing whilst Outlook...
  8. OneDrive: how to stop OneDrive from synching folders?

OneDrive: how to stop OneDrive from synching folders?: I knowI can "choose folders" when I right click in settings but this option only changes what I can see on my computer, not what is synched to the cloud. I have one computer for practicing my code and those files are what I want synched, not photos, downloads, music, etc....
  9. OneDrive syncing and I can't stop it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive syncing and I can't stop it: Hi Brink - I recently renewed my Office Home 365 Personal. Previously, OneDrive worked perfectly but now it's a nightmare. It's syncing and I can't stop it - it kept at it for a week earlier & the OneDrive Support Team said it was stuck and told me how to restart it. It's...
  10. Stop Sharing OneDrive Files and Folders

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Stop Sharing OneDrive Files and Folders: How to: Stop Sharing OneDrive Files and Folders How to Stop Sharing Your OneDrive Files and Folders You can easily save your files to OneDrive and get to them from any device, like your Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 tablet, or Windows 10 Mobile phone. You can use...