Windows 10: Onedrive controlled files can't be accessed/deleted 0x80070780 after Windows update to v2004

Discus and support Onedrive controlled files can't be accessed/deleted 0x80070780 after Windows update to v2004 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The Problem: I have OneDrive on my work laptop connected to our company SharePoint and it backs up my user files Documents, Desktop, Pictures, etc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BrownIA, Jun 11, 2020.

1. BrownIA Win User

Onedrive controlled files can't be accessed/deleted 0x80070780 after Windows update to v2004

The Problem:

I have OneDrive on my work laptop connected to our company SharePoint and it backs up my user files Documents, Desktop, Pictures, etc and a few other key directories. A few days ago, I updated Windows 10 from v1909 to v2004 by joining the insider program and downloading the release candidate. Immediately, I lost access to the majority of my OneDrive controlled files; they now show a white placeholder icon with the two circling blue arrow indicator of OneDrive syncing them. I did not have the feature to save space by only download files as I use them turned on, all the files resided locally on my computer. All of my files are still online and I can download and use them using the SharePoint website, just not in their original locations due to 0x80070780.

Smoking Gun:

• My work Microsoft account is listed as a "work or school" account like some kind of second class account and I'm pretty sure it used to be the primary and only Microsoft account linked to this computer. I had to add my personal Microsoft account to the mix to get some aspects of Windows to function.
    • If I navigate in Windows Explorer to [Users -> UserName ->Desktop] I see an empty folder
    • If I navigate to [Users -> Public -> Public Desktop] I see the few working shortcuts currently on my desktop
    • If I navigate to [Users -> administrator-> Desktop] I see an empty folder
    • Default -> Desktop is also empty
    • All Users -> Desktop is NOT ACCESSIBLE
      • Application Data and Documents are also Not Accessible
    • Any shortcut to "My Pictures", "My Videos", or "My Documents" inside an accessible "Documents" folder in any user also is NOT ACCESSIBLE
    • The Default User shorcut is NOT ACCESSIBLE

Fix Attempts:

1. Reinstall OneDrive, unlink my accounts/folder, and relink them with the sync button on Sharepoint
    2. Leave the insider program
    3. Rejoin the insider program and turn off insider build to convert my v2004 install to a general release version
    4. Remove and Re-add my microsoft accounts
      • Note: my work account will only add as a work account. I believe it was my primary account before and this may be the root of my issue and I have no idea how to resolve this
    5. Download all the files from Sharepoint and copy over the broken ones.
      • This actually worked for some folders, including my user folders stored under my user name in the OneDrive folder. However, my Desktop, Pictures, Documents, etc folders in the root of my OneDrive folder will not let me overwrite/access/delete their contents.
      • Are these the All Users"
    6. Install all windows updates for v2004

Things I Can't Do:

1. Clean install Windows
      • Don't even suggest it, this computer will have jacked up OneDrive files forever if this is the only solution.
      • It would literally take days to reinstall and work out the licensing for just the software I use daily, let alone all the software.

What I think I Need:

Someone to explain to me how to set the permissions on the inaccessible folders to how they should be to function normally for my Administrator level user. Alternatively how to fix my User in case it has changed to be based on my personal Microsoft account instead of the work one.

All of these folders currently have "Special Permissions" that give SYSTEM and Administrators Full Control and then Everyone Read & Execute, but specifically blocks Everyone from List folder / read data. Next to Administrators it shows <FIRSTINITIALLASTNAME\Administrators> however my current user folder is named firstname.lastname. Again, possible an issue with v2004 not letting my work account act as my primary Microsoft account.

:)

BrownIA, Jun 11, 2020
  2. matrirxp Win User

OneDrive folder error after formatting (Error 0X80070780)

Use an external hard drive with my OneDrive files. After setting up my computer (Windows 10), OneDrive cannot be accessed from the external drive anymore.

The following error appears:

Onedrive controlled files can't be accessed/deleted 0x80070780 after Windows update to v2004 [​IMG]

Try to look for solutions on the internet, but solve nothing.

You also cannot use Disk E: (external HD) to sync with OneDrive.

Onedrive controlled files can't be accessed/deleted 0x80070780 after Windows update to v2004 [​IMG]

matrirxp, Jun 11, 2020
  3. ali13196 Win User
    0x80070780 onedrive system restore - windows 10

attempting to system restore my computer but this error message comes up, i have deleted this file of my pc however it keeps coming up? windows 10

ali13196, Jun 11, 2020
  4. emas1 Win User

Onedrive controlled files can't be accessed/deleted 0x80070780 after Windows update to v2004

Cannot copy or open file in onedrive " "Error 0x80070780:

my pc has a problem with the emergence of "automatic repair repair on PC". Next, I use a Windows 10 bootable USB flashdisk with Rufus. The plan is to reset the PC. Problems arise some files in the "OneDrive" folder cannot be accessed. The message "Error
    0x80070780: the file cannot be accessed by the system" appears. Help me access the file folder

emas1, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Onedrive controlled files can't be accessed/deleted 0x80070780 after Windows update to v2004 - Similar Threads - Onedrive controlled files

2. error 0x80070780 - Can't delete lnk files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    error 0x80070780 - Can't delete lnk files: Hi there. So I can't delete these two shortcuts that became lnk files after messing with and subsequently deleting dropbox from my computer. I've tried everything in this article and more: https://tech-blogs.com/fix-error-0x80070780-once-and-for-all-in-6/ . I've even tried...
  3. Error 0x80070780: This file cannot be accessed by the system

Error 0x80070780: This file cannot be accessed by the system: I installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on the C Drive I have left files available to me on the D Drive to help ease installing programs to get back to a working win 10 environment I saw a "WindowsApps" folder that contains programs installed under the previous install of...
  4. Error Code 0x80070780 The File Cannot Be Accessed By The System.

Error Code 0x80070780 The File Cannot Be Accessed By The System.: So I've just restarted the pc.. And all the shortcut on my screen became white paper and i can't do anything with it. I can't cut/copy/delete shortcut. and it said An unexpected error is keeping you from deleteing the file.If you continue to recieve this error, you can use...
  5. Error 0x80070780: The file can/cannot be accessed by the system

Error 0x80070780: The file can/cannot be accessed by the system: My Windows 10 desktop PC cannot access - open, copy, rename, edit some recent files. Some are on the desktop and some are on OneDrive. My laptop has no problem with the same files on OneDrive, although a different desktop. In some cases files a file can be edited Word,...
  6. OneDrive folder error after formatting (Error 0X80070780)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive folder error after formatting (Error 0X80070780): Use an external hard drive with my OneDrive files. After setting up my computer (Windows 10), OneDrive cannot be accessed from the external drive anymore. The following error appears: [img] Try to look for solutions on the internet, but solve nothing. You also cannot...
  7. Error 0x80070780 - The file cannot be accessed by the system. How can I delete this folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0x80070780 - The file cannot be accessed by the system. How can I delete this folder?: I tried installing the game "A Plague Tale: Innocence - Windows 10". It had some issues installing so I started digging into it and went to the c:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder to try to delete the game folder myself. This is where I found the issue. Now trying to...
  8. Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system: How to solve with Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system Please help, I am using window 10 and office 365 Regards AMTRIS...
  9. Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system: How to solve with Error 0x80070780 the file cannot be accessed by the system Please help, I am using window 10 and office 365 Regards AMTRIS...
  10. OneDrive and files access / delete

OneDrive and files access / delete: Had OneDrive running on my pc for some time, then I have stopped the synchronization lately. I have also an external HDD for primary back-up. Over the weekend I have back-up all my data on the external HDD, checked important folders to have the same amount of data, files,...
Tags: