Windows 10: Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name

Discus and support Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This was sort of asked before, but the discussion closed by administration without an answer being found:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MontgomeryFisher, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name

This was sort of asked before, but the discussion closed by administration without an answer being found: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odwork-odedit/onedrive-creates-duplicate-file-name-with-pc-name/18f1fd5c-b217-49ee-8552-fa118a25bf1e?page=1.

I use OneDrive to back up my photos and music from my PC -- shared with nobody, PC is always connected to the internet, and the files are never in use on the PC (I copy them to a hi-rez music player to listen). Sometimes I discover that all of the song files (never the cover images, folder.jpg) in an album folder have been duplicated with my PC name added to the filename -- e.g. "01 - Dream Variations-MonteAndJuliePC" is now there in addition to "01 - Dream Variations".

How can I stop this?!? It seems to happen randomly, and it's a pain to track them down and delete them.

:)

MontgomeryFisher, Mar 19, 2019
  2. Frick Win User

Finding duplicate files

Hey hey,

During the years the backups have just accumulated in random places, essentially, and I would like to clean up. Is there a program that can search for duplicate files? And by that I mean identical files. I tried dupeGuru, but that somehow found ... all files to be identical I guess? Like how a bunch of jpg's with different names, sizes and locations being marked 100% identical, or how a bunch of xls-files with completely different everything also were 100% matches with each other. I don't need any fancy functions, just a list of the files that share the name and filesize and created/last write dates.

Frick, Mar 19, 2019
  3. duplicate photos and funny file naming

Yes, it will copy the pictures again as long as it's backed up before reinstalling Windows. Pasting the same images twice depends on the file name created. If it was pasted with the same file name, the second file will either have the word "Copy" or a number
    like (1). For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Is the P Drive an external hard drive or a partition?
    • When deleting duplicate images, how long does it take when it comes back?

Meanwhile, we suggest performing a clean boot on your computer. Clean boot helps remove software conflicts in your PC. Click this link on
    how to perform a clean boot in Windows. After performing a clean boot, leave the services disabled and try
    deleting the duplicated images. Once deleted, wait if the duplicated images will come back. If not, it means that there might be a service that's causing the problem. Therefore, we recommend enabling the services one by one to identify which service is causing
    the problem. Once identified, it is better to leave it disabled or uninstall it.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Mar 19, 2019
  4. red268 Win User

Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Mar 19, 2019
Thema:

Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name

1. Onedrive creates duplicate files with PC name added to file name - Similar Threads - Onedrive creates duplicate

2. Onedrive corrupts files and file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive corrupts files and file names: I have started to get a message that there are 30 odd files with names that Onedrive cannot save because of characters Onedrive cannot save. Those characters were never, never, never part of the original file name, I have no idea how to insert them into a file name. Some of...
  3. Onedrive corrupts files and file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive corrupts files and file names: I have started to get a message that there are 30 odd files with names that Onedrive cannot save because of characters Onedrive cannot save. Those characters were never, never, never part of the original file name, I have no idea how to insert them into a file name. Some of...
  4. Onedrive corrupts files and file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Adding date to the name of files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding date to the name of files and folders: Hi, I would like to add the "Date Created" or "Date Modified" to any files or folders. Possibly by right-clicking on it and running a script from the context menu. Can that be done with autohotkey, batch file or VBS ? Any help would be appreciated example: "test.txt" to...
  6. Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names

Windows 10 Downloading Files with duplicate file names: If I was downloading a string of picture files from a site, one at a time, I USED to get an overwrite file with same name warning. Now it just automatically downloads the new file with the same name with a number added to differentiate. Problem is, I wind up with a...
  7. OneDrive - Invalid File Name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive - Invalid File Name: Hi All Recently I add new folders to me OneDrive location. Apperently one of sub folders name was invalid one for OneDrive. When I tried to change this folder name or delete it I'm getting error saying: “Could not find this item. This is no longer located in [Path]. Verify...
  8. .qhpha added to file names

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    .qhpha added to file names: THIS DESCRIPTION SUDDENLY HAS CHANGED MY VIDEO COLLECTION WHAT THE HELL IS IT CANNOT FIND ITFO ON IT ANYWHERE VIRUS CHECKED OK VIDEO FORMAT NOT KNOWN CANNOT PLAY FILE NOT SUPPORTED HELP * Moved from Music & Video * Original title: .qhpha...
  9. Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder

Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder: When I create a new file in a child folder in my "This PC" parent folder, the file is automatically also created in a child folder in my "One Drive" parent folder. As a result, I essentially am doubling the storage usage on my PC. Similarly, if I delete a file from my "One...
  10. Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names

in Windows 10 Support
    Files automatically renaming themselves, duplicate file names: I have a new laptop, so unless this is some weird feature that's specific to the laptop, then I assume it's a Windows 10 settings issue because I've never encountered anything like this before. I downloaded several JPGs and PDFs from various emails and began to change the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive duplicate files with computer name

2. onedrive creates duplicate files

3. one drive has duplicated files with the word cope

4. files getting duplicated with computer name onedrive,
  5. whe onedrive creates a second file,
  6. when i share a file on onedrive the link is duplicated,
  7. a duplicate file was created with your computer name added,
  8. onedrive creates duplicate in explorer,
  9. onedrive addfile duplicate,
  10. onedrive duplicate files are created,
  11. onedrive duplicate files computer name,