Windows 10: OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local

Discus and support OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I kept receiving an alert that I had exceeded my 5GB OneDrive limit. I couldn't copy anything to my desktop without receiving a notice that I didn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MelMarston, Feb 19, 2019.

1. OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local

I kept receiving an alert that I had exceeded my 5GB OneDrive limit. I couldn't copy anything to my desktop without receiving a notice that I didn't have enough storage space. Sick and tired of it it I decided to move everything local. I never wanted my files to default to OneDrive to begin with so I disabled Onedrive and then went to my Desktop Properties and changed the default location from Onedrive\Desktop to C:\Users\Username\Desktop, I then hit Yes and Yes to copy all existing data to the new location. As soon as I did this EVERYTHING on my desktop disappeared! Not on the Onedrive portal, not in the Recycle Bin. These documents had to have been saved somewhere. Is there no way to recover these?

:)

MelMarston, Feb 19, 2019

2. moving data to onedrive

Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern that you are unable to move all the files automatically to OneDrive.

Kindly let us know with the following information to understand the issue and assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • What exactly happens when you try to move the files to OneDrive?
    • From which location on your device are you trying to move the files to OneDrive?

Please get back to us with required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 19, 2019
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 19, 2019
  4. OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local

Onedrive move folder to document

Hi Rendell,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• What happens when you try to move the folder?
    • From when are you facing this issue?

I suggest you to refer the article below and check if that helps.

Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder

You can refer to the following work around. This will help you to choose the folders to sync on Onedrive.

• Right click on OneDrive icon of
      System Tray

• Click on Settings, then click on
      choose folders
      tab.

• Click on choose folders option, then click on sync only these folders.

Hope the information helps. Please reply back with a status so that we can assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Feb 19, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local

1. OneDrive Data Disappeared when Moved Local - Similar Threads - OneDrive Data Disappeared

2. All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive: When I open File Explorer and click the Favorites bar to get a folder, everything is on OneDrive. When I navigate to This PC > Local Disk C: > Users > my name > Documents, it shows "This folder is empty".This PC shows 192 GB free of 475 GB, so I think that is way more than...
  3. All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All of my local data was moved to OneDrive. I want it from my hard drive: When I open File Explorer and click the Favorites bar to get a folder, everything is on OneDrive. When I navigate to This PC > Local Disk C: > Users > my name > Documents, it shows "This folder is empty".This PC shows 192 GB free of 475 GB, so I think that is way more than...
  4. OneDrive sync problem cannot afford losing a local data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive sync problem cannot afford losing a local data: Hello,I'm having a sync problem. It must be well discussed, but I don't seem to find the answer in the community.I noticed that the sync stopped a few weeks ago. I went to the OneDrive account through a browser and cannot find many of my latest files and folders that are in...
  5. Windows disappeared my Downloads folder when moving it to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows disappeared my Downloads folder when moving it to OneDrive: Alrighty... I moved my Documents, Pictures, and Music folders to OneDrive successfully. So when I tried to move my Downloads folder using the same method, Windows turned that Downloads folder into a OneDrive folder, instead of a Downloads folder that resides in OD. How do I...
  6. Is the local OneDrive folder moved to Windows.old when installing a new Win10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the local OneDrive folder moved to Windows.old when installing a new Win10?: I've had a bad BSOD issue and the startup got corrupted. I've tried many workarounds, but no success. So I am convinced I should reinstall Win10. I need my files that are on the corrupted Windows. Particularly, I have some files in my local OneDrive folder that are not...
  7. Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Documents folder from OneDrive to Local: I bought a new PC with Windows 10. It is saving all files, including user application files, to Documents in OneDrive. This is a disaster as applications produce trainloads of user files that OneDrive then dutifully attempts to upload. The Documents folder on "This PC" is...
  8. Files disappeared when moved

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files disappeared when moved: Tried to move some files and now they've disappeared. They're not in the Recycle Bin. I can see them when I search my drive, but they have an Internet Explorer icon on them? How can I recover them? submitted by /u/ScribblyScribe [link] [comments]...
  9. OneDrive folder moved to another OneDrive folder disappeared

OneDrive folder moved to another OneDrive folder disappeared: In File Manager I selected two folders in the OneDrive Documents folder and moved them into another folder in Documents. The folders disappeared, but were not in the other Documents folder. I searched on my PC for them and they weren't found. I looked in OneDrive online and...
  10. moving data

moving data: how do I move data from windows 7 laptop to Microsoft Surface windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/moving-data/c0bdf493-5198-4b57-a50c-ee4b0152820b"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. moved files to onedrive and files disappeared

2. moved files to onedrive disappeared