Windows 10: OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup

Discus and support OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I wanted to backup my personal laptop files and decided to use my work 365 OneDrive account as had 1TB space availble. So I connected to this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Msav111, May 2, 2020.

1. Msav111 Win User

OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup

Hi,

I wanted to backup my personal laptop files and decided to use my work 365 OneDrive account as had 1TB space availble.

So I connected to this account and said backup bit it gave me no choice to select folders and onedrive locations and started uploading and combining my work laptop and personal laptop files.

Realising what was happening I told it to stop and discoonected the work account. Unfortunately now files, especially pictures are now missing from my laptop and not uploaded to onedrive. Where have they gone ?!!

It was only uploading five or ten miutes at the most, therefore was unable to move much data, however my pictures folder on the laptop now points to my work onedrive folder which of course now doesnt exist as I disconnected and no files !!

Can you please explain how this has moved/lost gigs of pictures and explain how I may rectify the situation ?

I have now set the connection to my work onedrive back to see if it will restore things but there is 25GB of data to sync. Worst thing is I dont see the files on the cloud either.

Please help !

Mike.

:)

Msav111, May 2, 2020

2. Use File History to Backup OneDrive Content

Technical Level : Intermediate

Summary

This article details how to backup OneDrive content to another storage medium using the built-in Windows backup tool File History. For more details about File History, read this page:

Restore files or folders using File History

This is valid on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.

Details

OneDrive is a great tool for syncing and sharing files via Microsoft accounts, however, it's a syncing tool first and files can be permanently deleted. A good practice is to use File History in conjunction with OneDrive so any changes are automatically backed
    up to a different location without fear of files being deleted.

Setup OneDrive to Sync all Critical Files Worthy of Backup

Before you can backup anything in OneDrive using File History, configure it so OneDrive syncs everything to your computer:

• (Windows 10 and Windows 7) Choose the files and folders you want to sync to your computer
    • (Windows 8.1) Choose the folders and files you want to "Make Available Offline"
    Wait for OneDrive to finish syncing all content before continuing to the next step.

Setup a Drive for File History

After you configure OneDrive to sync the content you need, setup a drive to use File History:

Set up a drive for File History

Large, slow drives are ideal for File History, whether they're inside of the computer or connected via a USB on the outside. When you setup File History it should automatically backup all Library folders, OneDrive folders, and other
    common Windows folders. If you don't see your OneDrive folders, manually add them.

Once configured, File History will run on the frequency you chose and will backup your OneDrive files if there are changes; File History uses a more intelligent backup process and will only backup if it detects changes. If a file
    changes frequently, you'll see many versions, possibly a version every time File History runs, otherwise, you may see the original version if it never changes.

If you lose a file and need to restore it, follow these instructions to restore a file from File History:

Restore files or folders using File History

stanimal21, May 2, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Files not syncing to OneDrive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues not syncing properly with OneDrive.

I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article
    Fix OneDrive sync problems
    and check if it works for you.

For more information, you can check the article to
    Sync files with the OneDrive sync client in Windows

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to get in touch with the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 2, 2020
  4. stlsailor Win User

How does Windows 10 conversion setup offline OneDrive files by default

When I migrate to Windows 10,

• Placeholders will be deleted from my local OneDrive folder.
    • Per folder selective sync will be available.
    But that leaves a question…

• Will per folder selective sync be turned OFF by default at conversion?
      • This means offline files on the local OneDrive folder will be orphaned.
      • Therefore, to avoid confusion, I’d need to either (a) delete them since they’re available online and since sync is off, or (b) turn on selective sync for the folder they’re in and sync all files in the folder, or (c) do nothing if OneDrive automatically deleted them in the conversion.

• Or, will per folder selective sync be turned ON by default for folders that have offline files in them, syncing all files in such a folder?

• Or, will OneDrive try to sync all folders to my local OneDrive, overwhelming the smaller drive on my laptop?
    It seems to me this would be important to know, but I've not been able to find anything on it.

stlsailor, May 2, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup - Similar Threads - OneDrive deleted harddrive

2. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  3. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  4. The Onedrive syncing and deletion of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The Onedrive syncing and deletion of files: Dear Windows Community Files copied to my Onedrive folder, are they being synced with the Windows server instantly? Where can I see files that been deleted from my Onedrive folder? Thank you in advance Best regards Emil...
  5. OneDrive deleting files and can't stop sync

OneDrive deleting files and can't stop sync: Hi, I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, and cloned it clean to a new drive. I disabled OneDrive because I have a personal and a work account and wanted to choose later how to set things up. The user for the computer is set up under my personal account, and has some...
  6. OneDrive deleted files that weren't synced

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive deleted files that weren't synced: I've been using OneDrive since I bought my Surface Book 2 two years ago. It has always been running the background so I assumed my files were syncing online. OneDrive mostly showed that all files were up to date, so I assumed everything was all fine and good. I also had all...
  7. Onedrive syncing new or deleted files but not modified files

Onedrive syncing new or deleted files but not modified files: Hello I've recently started using Onedrive - not sure it was a good idea! It's syncing ok when I add or delete files but not when I simply modify a file eg open a file with Excel make a change and close the file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Steve...
  8. Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup

Trying to find folder deleted during Free File Sync backup: Occasionally I do a sync between a portable drive and my work PC (Windows 10) using Free File Sync. The latest sync, February 20, I think I tweaked the settings I normally do and it deleted a couple files. I was able to find most of them in a folder that was created by FFS...
  9. Backup files to OneDrive without syncing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup files to OneDrive without syncing: Hello I want to back up my music collection from my D-drive. I have copied (drag & drop) my files from D: to OneD – that was easy, intuitive and straight forward. However OneDrive is now trying synchronise my newly copied files back with my PC. It is not syncing with the...
  10. recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive?: I just got Windows 10. I've been using the cloud backup/folder syncing service Jungle Disk on Windows 7 for a while. I'm not very happy with Jungle Disk... no end of bugs and problems. Because Microsoft is pushing OneDrive so hard with Windows 10, I thought I would ask a...