Windows 10: OneDrive didn't survive upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

Discus and support OneDrive didn't survive upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, yesterday I upgraded my Laptop from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and everything surprisingly worked and still works well - except... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sven Decker, Sep 20, 2019.

1. OneDrive didn't survive upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

Hi all,

yesterday I upgraded my Laptop from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and everything surprisingly worked and still works well - except OneDrive.

OneDrive didn't survive the upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro.

The files are still on the hard disk in a folder called C:\Users\Ben\SkyDrive.

The files are still on the OneDrive web app.

But the Windows 10 OneDrive icon in the tray bar is gray and struck through. When I open the folder on the hard disk or right-click on the tray icon (both opens the same wizard) I can add my account, enter the password. After a while I am welcomed to OneDrive and O365 (denied the subscription offered) and after some introductory screens I reach the last wizard page which says correspondingly "Everything is setup and ready". But when I click on the blue "Open my OneDrive folder" button Windows tells me correspondingly "We found the OneDrive folder in an unexpected location. Click on Use this folder to use this folder or click Start Over to rerun OneDrive setup".

Neither of this helps. When I try to use "this folder" (which is shown as C:\Users\Ben\OneDrive) the message windows keeps popping up.

I tried to set up a new folder like "C:\Users\Ben\OneDrive_new" and point it to that folder but it didn't help neither.
    I ran the OneDrive reset command line tool but it didn't help neither.

I'm pretty aware this is a very special case and may or may not occur only after upgrading from Windows 8.1 (where the once so called SkyDrive was in use previously).

I am only interested in suggestions how to solve this very specific topic.

I am not interested in suggestions how to do a fresh install of Windows 10 or how to reset my Laptop to factory defaults. ;-)

:)

Sven Decker, Sep 20, 2019
  2. Freezer Win User

Windows 10 - OneDrive

This is Windows 10 Pro... Enterprise is an entirely different deal and I'm sure I won't have problems that route, but I'm not forking over more $ to dipshit developers. The only thing I can think of is un-linking my Office 365 accounts within Office, but that defeats the purpose of accessing the files ONLINE and managing them from there. I have two alumni accounts, not a single problem in Windows 7/8 until M$shit devs decided to integrate Onedrive. I've deleted, renamed, set read-only to "msosync.exe," ... but windows continues to add it again and again, and NOW I just noticed it's now linking to groove.exe, instead of onedrive. Sooo fn annoying!

Onedrive on Windows 10 is not an 'app' it is integrated. Plus I don't fool around with the Windows Store thoughtless developer child bullshit. Windows Store ought to be completely removed from the Windows platform all together. Also I do not intend to completely remove Onedrive, it defeats the purpose... the purpose is to REMOVE it from Windows Explorer navigation and startup.

Freezer, Sep 20, 2019
  3. nkienitz Win User
    Windows 10 Pro or Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Pro ?

Just replaced motherboard on my old Dell D830 that I had upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro last August.

Went through steps on setting up new MOBO and it is up/working just fine.

I happened to run Belarc Advisor just to get a snapshot of data for the file. What is interesting is that Belarc indicates the O/S is Windows 8 Pro (build 9200).

I looked at another recent thread here at TenForums and also took some of the steps suggested and figured that maybe I needed to install or re-install Windows 10. I checked the Update/Security/Activation tab and it indicates that Windows 10 Pro is installed, activated with a digital entitlement.

So ... why does Belarc seem to see only Windows 8 Pro? Maybe because of the "maturity" of the D830? I know that Dell has disclaimers at their site that says the D830 has not been certified for Windows 10.

So, it is working, but the data from Belarc just has me scratching my head.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

nkienitz, Sep 20, 2019
  4. f14tomcat Win User

OneDrive didn't survive upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

f14tomcat, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive didn't survive upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro

1. OneDrive didn't survive upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro - Similar Threads - OneDrive didn't survive

2. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to 10/11: I need to finally upgrade to windows 10 or 11. I’m currently on windows 8pro. Completely confused as to how to do this despite reading several articles here and online. I don’t have a product key as it came installed on my VAIO. Please help with step by step instructions....
  4. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  5. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating: Hi,I have an old Acer laptop which I tried to upgrade to Windows Pro but it won't activate once the upgrade is completed. Below are the steps I followed to complete the upgrade:I created a Windows account which I used throughout the upgrade processes.1. Did a clean install of...
  6. Upgrading from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro not activating

7. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  8. Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10

Windows Upgrade from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10: I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade the Windows of my old laptop Dell Inspiron N4050 for my childrens use for online classes? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-upgrade-from-windows-8-pro-to-windows-10/3025b42a-4a0e-42d6-add5-d42101c099f4
  9. windows 8 pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 8 pro upgrade: my laptop came with windows 8 pro . what I understand is that windows 8 key is preset in BIOS. But when i upgraded to widnows 10 it upgraded to Home edition. I tried going to " upgrade to windows 10 pro" in microsoft store. but its asking me for key. what should i do....
  10. Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Using Windows 8 Pro key to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Home: Hello, I have 2 laptops, one old(1st) and other new(2nd). The 1st laptop had Windows 7 Home pre-installed which was later upgraded to Windows 8 Pro through Windows 8 Upgrade Offer. This again was upgraded to Windows 10 Home for free. The 2nd PC came with Windows 10 Home...