Windows 10: OneDrive file modification dates

Discus and support OneDrive file modification dates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I modify a file in my desktop OneDrive folder, and upload it to my mobile OneDrive folder, the date does not match the modified date from my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kitpzyxmsir, Feb 12, 2019.

1. OneDrive file modification dates

When I modify a file in my desktop OneDrive folder, and upload it to my mobile OneDrive folder, the date does not match the modified date from my desktop. It could have a date that's months old.

This creates doubt whether the mobile file has all the current changes, so if I really want to be sure, I have to open it up to check.

Can this be fixed?

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Feb 12, 2019
  2. WernerGg Win User

Wrong file modification dates/times

Thanks Brian for your interest in that issue with file dates. I wonder why this is not heavily discussed in the community.

At least we agree for the backup case. If a sync program is similar to a backup program or not is a philosophic question which I would like to avoid. But I think at the end a synchronization should lead to a "similar" state in both synchronized data sets.
    And for me the modification date of a file is an essential information that is part of a files identity. Hence a synchronization should not change it. This is philosophy again. You certainly know these OO discussions about "identity" of objects.

But leave aside all philosophy. At the end ActiveSync produces the current date as file (modify-) date for all (!) files on the mobiles My Documents, even those that have not been changed since months or years. And this is certainly not a desirable behaviour.

One reason for that is ActiveSyncs Copy behaviour. An other seems to be its handling of archive bits. I will write on this in a later article.

I do not agree to that. And Microsoft doesn't either as I will show.

I agree to that. But this is another question and not relevant for file synchronization. I did not carefully examine how ActiveSync handles directory dates. The file case causes work enough for me.

How do Windows Mobile and Windows PC handle file dates during copy operations? I made experiments for creation date and modification date. I left aside last-access dates. They seem not being really supported on Windows Mobile and they are not really interesting
    for the user. The creation date is normally not very important as well. What the user needs all day is the modification date. Often this is just named "file date" as a synonym.

----------------------

The following is done completely on a standalone mobile device with WM6.1 not attached to the PC. No ActiveSync interaction.

Say you have a file in Directory A.

Created at 07:32, last edited at 08:25.

==> in DirA:

Create Time: 07:32

Modify Time: 08:25

1) At 08:30 copy it for the first time to Directory B. It did not exist in DirB.

==> in DirB:

+++ Both times are unchanged by copy which is reasonable.

+++ But I would agree if both times were 08:30

2) At 08:44 edit the file in DirB

==> in DirB:

Modify Time: 08:44

+++ The file gets the new modified time

3) At 08:47 copy it back to DirA. Confirm to overwrite the file.

==> in DirA:

Modify Time: 08:44

+++ The create time is not changed from its former value in DirA. As a result of Step 1) this is equal to the create time in DirB.

+++ The modify time is unchanged (!) which is reasonable.

... and so on

If you do the same on a PC with Windows XP you will see:

Windows on the PC shows exactly the same behaviour concerning the modification date.

But - strange enough - it is different concerning the creation date during first copy.

After Step 1) when you first copy a file the target file will have:

==> in DirB:

Create Time: 08:30

+++ The modify time is unchanged by copy which is reasonable.

+++ The create time is changed to time of copy.

??? This is a bit strange, because the file was now modified before (!) being created.

+++ But why not?

Steps 2) and 3) behave equal as on the mobile.

The file in DirA keeps its original create date and inherits the modify date from the copy source in DirB.

----------------------

To summarize:

+++ COPY operations do not change modification dates.

At least on Windows operating systems. Which is a reasonable behaviour.

??? Initial COPY operations (target does not exist) do change the creation date on Windows, but not on Windows Mobile. Which is a strange idea of the Microsoft programmers/designers.

+++ Later COPY operations (target does already exist) do not change the creation or modification dates.

At least on Windows operating systems. Which is a reasonable behaviour.

--- ActiveSync however always changes the modification date to the current date during each copy caused by a synchronization.

Which I consider an ActiveSync bug or design defect respectively.

Werner Geiger, IT-Architect

WernerGg, Feb 12, 2019
  3. colparis Win User
    Modification date of link files (lnk) is updated when clicked, and if they are in a toolbar

I'm on Windows 10, and I customized a toolbar in my taskbar, with links to programs (Notepad, Paint, Calc, ...). The steps I followed are:

• Create a folder MyToolbar
    • In this folder, add the shortcuts to notepad.exe (notepad.lnk) and mspaint.exe (mspaint.lnk)
    • Right click on the taskbar, chose Toolbar, then New Toolbar
    • Chose the folder MyToolbar
    • A new toolbar is created in the taskbar
    Every time I click on one of these icons to launch a program, for example Notepad, the modification date of notepad.lnk in the folder MyToolbar is updated.

This is annoying: because of this behavior, the synchronization program I use updates this file each time I click on it.

Can you reproduce this bug? Any solution?

colparis, Feb 12, 2019
  4. OneDrive file modification dates

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

OneDrive file modification dates

1. OneDrive file modification dates - Similar Threads - OneDrive file modification

2. Folders and files in C:\Windows\WinSxS modification date issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folders and files in C:\Windows\WinSxS modification date issue: Hi,Recently, a licensed piece of software started complaining that the system clock had been set back, invalidating the license.Turns out it does this by looking at file modification dates. I then discoved files and folders in C:\Windows\WinSxS started showing modification...
  3. Folders and files in C:\Windows\WinSxS modification date issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders and files in C:\Windows\WinSxS modification date issue: Hi,Recently, a licensed piece of software started complaining that the system clock had been set back, invalidating the license.Turns out it does this by looking at file modification dates. I then discoved files and folders in C:\Windows\WinSxS started showing modification...
  4. Folders and files in C:\Windows\WinSxS modification date issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. If you make modifications and save the file after the program opens it, the creation date...

If you make modifications and save the file after the program opens it, the creation date...: Windows 10 Home Version : 21H2Translated EnglishNormally, when I open a file in the program, edit it and save it, the file's creation date remains the same, and only the modified date and accessed date change. However, a problem occurred after I bought an NVME SSD for storage...
  6. Need to read the file modification/creation date & time of UDF file system

Need to read the file modification/creation date & time of UDF file system: I have some DVDs with loads of pictures and I want to be able to get a list of file names, dates & times using C or C++ API calls. Apparently the DVD is written using the UDF file system and even the Win 10 File Explorer does not show the data & time. 1 why does Win 10 not...
  7. Changing modification date without saving new data in file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changing modification date without saving new data in file: In windows 10 the modified date changes as the last view date even if I don’t save the file when closing, I don’t want the date to change without modification. What can i do!? This happening in 3dsmax files...
  8. OneDrive local modification dates all the same date, different to the correct dates online

OneDrive local modification dates all the same date, different to the correct dates online: All the modification dates on my local folders in OneDrive are the same recent date. This really messes with my workflow because I like to see where I have recently been. This is really fundamental. All the folders in OneDrive in the web browser have the correct date...
  9. Folders and files modification date not updating in Widows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and files modification date not updating in Widows Explorer: As a long-time user of Windows OS in all its iterations, what I'm going to ask y'all has me totally stumped. I've looked on-line for solutions but have not found anything definitive. I apologize if anything like what I'm going to describe has been asked/answered; I only...
  10. Modification of file names in bulk

in Windows 10 Support
    Modification of file names in bulk: A time ago, so I do not recall why, many of my files' names were modified; say from .abc.jpg, or cde.docx to abc(2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC).jpg, or cde (2018_06_04 06_52_58 UTC).docx. In the main picture files dominate. I want to rename the files by removing the (2018_06_04...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Check last modified date of a file on OneDrive

2. onedrive date created different in explorer than website

3. customizing file explorer icons causes onedrive sync issues with dates

4. how to make onedrive show time files were created or modifired,
  5. onedrive sync file replaced other file same date,
  6. onedrive is changing file creation date,
  7. onedrive file dates,
  8. one drive modifing created date,
  9. onedrive login dates,
  10. hide date modifed on ondrive,
  11. copy files to onedrive with date modified,