Windows 10: OneDrive files going away after Macrium Restore

Discus and support OneDrive files going away after Macrium Restore in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have a box that I use for testing. It's an Intel Nuc. I started using a microsoft account to log into the machine and thus it's setting up onedrive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pparks1, Nov 18, 2020.

1. pparks1 Win User

OneDrive files going away after Macrium Restore

I have a box that I use for testing. It's an Intel Nuc. I started using a microsoft account to log into the machine and thus it's setting up onedrive for me.

Generally speaking, it works nice. I have all of the files in one drive "available" to my box, but not actually downloading to my device...so it's not chewing up disk space. I've made an image at this point (all drivers installed, windows activated, it's jus the way I like it)

Today I noticed behavior I haven't noticed before. Let's say that I go into OneDrive and I create a new folder called ImportantData. So, here we can see that folder, and it has the check mark indicating it's been synced to one drive

OneDrive files going away after Macrium Restore [​IMG]

So, lets say I create a howto guide in the folder.

All is well, the file is on OneDrive on my Intel Nuc and I can see the file from any other computer attached to onedrive and I can see it in the cloud via a browser.

Now, let's say that a month later, I'm on my PC and I just wanna restore my previous image and start clean again. So, i fire up Macrium and perform a restore of the system (restoring the entire C drive).

Surprisingly, (to me at least), upon restore because it wasn't in the original image, one drive then deletes it. It's not on my test box, and it hits the "recycle bin" on the web. (I'm doing this right now and will show it in a future screen shot).

So, after the restore, if I watch OneDrive, I can see that it deletes the file from the cloud

And if i log into OneDrive (via the web), we can see my new folder and my new file in the recycle bin

Now, the remaining 60GB worth of stuff that I had put into OneDrive from other computers and such is still there. It's just this new stuff that I created on this machine that I imaged back that went away. Obviously I can restore it from the recycle bin in the one drive in the cloud....but i thought it was odd that it would handle it this way.

:)

pparks1, Nov 18, 2020
  2. topgundcp Win User

Restoring Windows 10 Image using Macrium Reflect

In addition to the above. Here's my suggestion in step by step.
    I assume you have Macrium Installed in your current HD and already made a backup copy.
    1. Connect your new HD via USB port and boot up.
    2. Run Macrium, click on Restore tab then select the Backup Image that you made to restore
    3. click on "select a different target disk" then select your new HD as destination

4. Proceed to restore then Shutdown and disconnect the old HD and replace with the new HD
    5. Boot up with your new HD.

topgundcp, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 18, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to restore files deleted from OneDrive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I have reviewed the information provided by you and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you, I realize how frustrating these things can be.
    We at Microsoft prioritize our customers’ satisfaction. I appreciate the time you have taken to work on this issue.

I suggest you to refer the steps from the article
    Restore deleted files or folders in OneDrive

to restore the files and check if that helps.

You can also contact the OneDrive support team by following the steps mentioned below:

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

1. OneDrive files going away after Macrium Restore - Similar Threads - OneDrive files going

2. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  3. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  4. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Web browsing: restore recommended won't go away

in Windows 10 Customization
    Web browsing: restore recommended won't go away: I've had a thing pop up in my settings randomly saying 'Web browsing: restore recommended'. I've selected all the checkmarks and clicked done, and nothing happened. Any help would be appreciated.[ATTACH]...
  6. CyberLink PowerRecover- Restore doesn't go away

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CyberLink PowerRecover- Restore doesn't go away: Hi all, I have recently gave my Medion PC a factory reset, as it was starting to become slower. At first the factory reset seemed to have been succesful and I was able to normally use my computer for about an hour. I then turned off the computer, and as soon as I turned it...
  7. Problems With Macrium Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problems With Macrium Restore: I have used Macrium for quite a while and been very pleased. However, lately I cannot run a restore successfully. I can backup my drive just fine. But when I try to run a restore, the error Oc000000F comes up instead. This is following the install of the latest Windows...
  8. Macrium: trial restore?

Macrium: trial restore?: So far I've never had to restore an image and I'm not brave enough to wipe my OS as an experiment. But I have plenty of disk capacity, either on my internal 4 TB D or one of my external USB drives. So as a second-best is it possible to restore my OS disk C image (135 GB) to...
  9. Messed up system after macrium restore

Messed up system after macrium restore: I restored a macrium image but system is not what it shoud be, I have the "restore" partition (win 8.1) mapped as "D" drive and what used to be "D" drive is now "F". Any Idea? is it possible to fix this? Thanks! [img] 117955
  10. Backup & Restore with Macrium

Backup & Restore with Macrium: Hello, Thanks for the answers. Searching I found this long explanation which made me more confused http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/201...-way-with.html and I have lot of questions since, 1. Have one full instl. file "reflect_setup_free_x86(6.1.1081).exe size 39.502...