Windows 10: Onedrive files still on storage after deleting them

Discus and support Onedrive files still on storage after deleting them in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, I switched over to PC the other day and getting my files into the new laptop has been a mess. I moved my files from an external hard drive onto... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tofudrifting, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Onedrive files still on storage after deleting them

Hi all, I switched over to PC the other day and getting my files into the new laptop has been a mess. I moved my files from an external hard drive onto my desktop, and then sorted them into different folders on windows explorer. Little did I know I dumped them into the onedrive folder. Later on, I get a notification my onedrive folder is past its limit, so I go ahead and delete all files on it since I don't use onedrive anyway. Then I realize all my files on my laptop is gone. I figured I'll just back up everything from step 1 from my external drive and just uninstall onedrive before I do it this time.

After I uninstalled it, another problem cropped up. When going under "storage management" it still shows I have 23 gbs of "one drive, unused cloud-backed content". When I click on that it gives me the command to "view onedrive" it gives me the error message "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app, or if already installed, create an association in the Defaults Apps Settings page."

I've already re-installed onedrive, so how do I create the association?

:)

tofudrifting, Sep 17, 2020
  2. Frick Win User

Cloud storage (aka Onedrive will suck so need to find something else)

So, I will have to move away from Onedrive, which is sad because it's frankly the best free cloud storage I know of. But as someone said: "Microsoft realized they accidentaly made a great service." and they'll change it so that starting soon this will happen (the things that affect me anyway):
    • 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans are going away as an option for new users and will be replaced with a 50 GB plan for $1.99 per month in early 2016.
    • Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for all users, current and new. The 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will also be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016.
    This is so much crap. I use the free version and yeah $1.99/month I probably could afford, but it still SUCKS. Seriously, I usually don't get the MS hate, but this is a poop-poop move.

So I need something new.

Dropbox is out. Too tiny. Google Drive might be an alternative, but I'd rather not, for ... reasons I can't remember right now.

What I need:
    • something like 15GB storage or so.
    • Automatic photo uploading from my phone (Android)
    • Preferably an actual app for Android (yes I know you can setup ES File Explorer and the like but that's usually pretty cumbersome)
    The simplest solution I'm actually leaning towards is just to give up and get a 100GB plan now (current 100/200GB plans will not be affected, in the future they won't be avaliable to new customers), but that's the easy way out. *Frown Onedrive files still on storage after deleting them :(

Frick, Sep 17, 2020
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    OneDrive CPU usage is killing my Surface Pro 4...!

Thank you for your response. If OneDrive is crashing whenever you start a session, we suggest you clear the cache in the Microsoft Uploader. Simply follow the steps provided below.

• On the Start screen, search for Upload Center.
    • Click the Office Upload Center icon.
    • Click Setttings.
    • Click Delete cached files.
    • Click Ok.

In regards to the limitations of OneDrive. You get 5 GB of storage when you sign up for OneDrive, but you can always buy more or sign up for Office 365 to get more storage. Read on this

link
    to learn more about storage plans and billing.

Should you need further information, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Sep 17, 2020
  4. Onedrive files still on storage after deleting them

Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Sep 17, 2020
Thema:

Onedrive files still on storage after deleting them

1. Onedrive files still on storage after deleting them - Similar Threads - Onedrive files still

2. File missing after dragging them out of the onedrive file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File missing after dragging them out of the onedrive file: I recently turned off onedrive and kept all my files locally, I saw that all my desktop files where stored on my desktop and in a folder called desktop in folder called onedrive kept in my user directory same for the image folder. I thought those were old copy since onedrive...
  3. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  4. deleted files still taking up storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    deleted files still taking up storage space?: all these files have been deleted and should be completely removed from my PC, yet it still shows them taking up space. anything i can do here? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleted-files-still-taking-up-storage-space/6e2ec4d6-44ba-4e48-ae4c-ab1043cf7b31
  5. OneDrive file storage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive file storage: If I have files stored on OneDrive do I need to keep them on my computers C Drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-file-storage/9bd651a9-ca7e-4a4c-9a4a-4fc1ee91e3a7
  6. OneDrive file storage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive file storage: If I have files stored on OneDrive do I need to keep them on my computers C Drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/onedrive-file-storage/9bd651a9-ca7e-4a4c-9a4a-4fc1ee91e3a7
  7. Files from onedrive still there and can't delete them.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files from onedrive still there and can't delete them.: Hello I recenlmy deleted onedrive because i wasn't really a fan of it. Everything i stored in whichever folder I selected also stored in the ondedrive folder. I deleted onedrive an the folder is still there but whenever i install or download anything, even though onedrive...
  8. OneDrive still syncs after being deleted

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive still syncs after being deleted: I am a Microsoft office user, I also used to use OneDrive After deleting OneDrive I wanted to lose all my useless files on the cloud but it still syncs to Microsoft office.[IMG]...
  9. Files not refreshing after deleting them.

in Windows 10 Support
    Files not refreshing after deleting them.: For some reason,File Explorer doens't refresh after I delete a file. How can I fix this? Thank you 169617
  10. Activitycache.db and the two other files: Still filling up with data after deleting them...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Activitycache.db and the two other files: Still filling up with data after deleting them...: I have been thru the recommended deltion process. I have unticked the settings/privacy/activity boxes, but after reboot data appears again in the activitycache.db file and the other two in the directory. Can anyone tell me how to get back to zero records in the db file?...