Windows 10: Onedrive "folder backup" function - how does it work in practice?

Discus and support Onedrive "folder backup" function - how does it work in practice? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear Experts, I was very happy when I've read on the net that MS introduced a backup functionality to OneDrive to make a backup of local Documents... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ZsuzsannaKulcsár, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Onedrive "folder backup" function - how does it work in practice?

Dear Experts,

I was very happy when I've read on the net that MS introduced a backup functionality to OneDrive to make a backup of local Documents folder (C:\Users\users\Documents). My understanding was that these would be directly copied to the cloud without moving them to C:\Users\users\OneDrive\Dokumentumok, however the latter happened as I can see unfortunately (hence this is not a novelty method at all, but I presume that it may be helpful for less IT savvy people perhaps...).

My questions:

1. if at any times in the future I'll no longer want to backup my personal files to OneDrive, will it be enough to move back everything to C:\Users\users\Documents or will I need to change some settings as well/delete manually etc? (though it is still syncing, but it doesn't offer me to switch off this folder in OneDrive icon>settings>backup tab.)

2. what settings are 100% guaranteeing that there will be no files that will only reside in the cloud and missing from/linked only at local C drive? e.g. space saving settings whatnot...

many thanks

:)

ZsuzsannaKulcsár, Aug 20, 2019
  2. RCoon Win User

OneDrive - Bait and switch (but to what?)

Google Drive offers 17GB free, I see no discernible reason to bother with OneDrive's crippled storage capacity.

EDIT: For a painless transfer, I used microsoft's SyncToy to do a daily backup of DropBox/OneDrive items nightly at 4PM to a Google Drive folder. Once I had finished setting up my phone's automatic backup and had my work flow transferred, I just stopped the auto-backup script and uninstalled OneDrive/DropBox and carried on using Google Drive. Switching cloud storage service isn't remotely arduous.

RCoon, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Backup of OneDrive Folder

Windows 10 Backup does not backup my OneDrive folder on my laptop. All other folders under in my User folder are backed up. If I open my OneDrive folder and look at the history, it says that it cannot find my folder. OneDrive functions fine. I'm just
    trying to back it up to my WD Passport as an added safety measure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

DarrylTinay, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Onedrive "folder backup" function - how does it work in practice?

onedrive duplicating my folders...

Hi.

Again, onedrive is going crazy and is duplicating my main folder, full of subfolders. It's locking me out of all my files. I have windows 10, Office 365 home. I paused synch at the moment before I have 1000 copy of my folder, which I can't open anyway!
    Please don't ask me any question that will further delay the repair. Simply give me a step by step solution and then improve onedrive so this won't happen again to so many of us. I suggest you also add "onedrive" in the list of "Windows Topics" below since
    thousands of users have issues with it.

Thanks

Michel

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Michel Chiangmai, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Onedrive "folder backup" function - how does it work in practice?

1. Onedrive "folder backup" function - how does it work in practice? - Similar Threads - Onedrive folder backup

2. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  3. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  4. Music and Videos Folders Missing from the Updated OneDrive “Manage Backup” Function

Music and Videos Folders Missing from the Updated OneDrive “Manage Backup” Function: I am running Windows 11 Home, 22H2 OS Build 22621.1105 on an HP Pavilion laptop mfr in Dec 2021 with 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i7-1165G7 Hz and 16.0 GB RAM. The OneDrive Build is 23.011.0115.0009 64-bit. When I installed OneDrive on my laptop, I could only back up the Documents,...
  5. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...: I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really understanding what I was doing I unsynced it. It didn't really clear any space I didn't expect it to since as far as I knew, I...
  6. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...: I was recently trying to clear some space on my work laptop. I realized I wasn't really using the OneDrive folders on my sidebar so without really understanding what I was doing I unsynced it. It didn't really clear any space I didn't expect it to since as far as I knew, I...
  7. The local OneDrive folder, the PC Documents folder, OneDrive backup and sync. How does it...

8. how to exclude one folder from backup in a folder backup by onedrive

how to exclude one folder from backup in a folder backup by onedrive: when i unsync one folder in a folder synced by onedrivestupid onedrive delete it from my pc, super high-hand microsoft **** tactics, no wonder people hated microsoftso how do i exclude one folder from backup in a folder that is synced to onedrivewhy delete my pc copy when i...
  9. Problem Moving default Picture Folder and using OneDrive Backup Function

Problem Moving default Picture Folder and using OneDrive Backup Function: Hi, my setup: OneDrive default location on c:\ small ssd custom picture folder on d:\ a lot of disc space I have successfully 'moved' i.e. set a new path my default Win 10 Picture folder from the small ssd under c:\ to the larger d:\ drive both separate physical drives....
  10. What is the function of this 'OneDrive' folder?

What is the function of this 'OneDrive' folder?: What is the function of this 'OneDrive' folder in Users\[username] ?? [IMG] Can I safely delete it? There seems to be old stuff in it and it takes up space. Second, related question: Do I need this 'x-rated' OneDrive folder if I want to continue to use OneNote 2013?...